Pirate Pleads Guilty

HDTVFanAtic said:
You sure that D* is secure?

NO...That's just what I've heard.

Do you know more HDTVFanAtic? Not that I'm asking for hacking info...some people here like to scream "hack talk" when it's not...I have never heard of DTV having another problem.

Last edited:
miguelaqui said:
:mad:
HDTVFanAtic said:
You sure that D* is secure?

NO...That's just what I've heard.

Do you know more HDTVFanAtic? Not that I'm asking for hacking info...some people here like to scream "hack talk" when it's not...I have never heard of DTV having another problem.

Hell, look at the other threads.....I'm the last person to know about hacks.

There are plenty of people that say D* is hacked (see above for one) but it is very quiet.

Voom had the Motorola system (SC also uses it) and it is secure from what everyone says.

That leaves D*.

Look at the wording as well. If It were BEV or SC they were talking about, it would have said either Canadian or Foreign - not National.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The second charge, theft of trade secrets, a violation of Title 18, Section 1832 (a)(2), is the result of infractions against another national satellite provider discovered during the investigation. Gluzman has admitted to obtaining and unlawfully distributing trade secrets and proprietary information from that provider.

And quiet simply, the I do not believe that the US Justice Department can prosecute theft of a Canadian Satellite Service. I suspect he would have to go through extradition to Canada to be tried - as he broke Canadian law - not US Law -though I will say I am not a lawyer either.

Finally, the news story was released by Echostar. You notice the Dish and Directv don't throw mud at each other and virtually never mention the other by name - no matter what.

I have been a skeptic when people say they have seen a hacked D* system.

It's like UFO and little green men - supposedly they were all over and its just no one had cameras when they showed up for 50 years. Now everyone has a camcorder, a digital camera and a camera phone and you notice all the reports of UFOs have virtually disappeared - lol.

But as skeptical as I was about D* being hacked, those charges filed against him in the second count literally confirm its true to me - because there is no way to charge and convict him on the second charge if the hack didn't exist.

Last edited:
sA :: Shaggy said:
yes D* is hacked... just look at my post on the other page... is it really that hard to believe?

No offense, but your saying it has as much credibility as me saying I'm Rupert Murdoch.

The Second Charge in the news story above is the best proof (beyone seeing it first hand) that it is.

Dish finally turned on the more advanced encryption features in the new cards and now the FTA receivers no longer work for receiving Dish or Expressvu programming.

i wish i had a bugatti... im not gonna lie... i dont own it... but i would if i could... lol

rglore said:
Dish finally turned on the more advanced encryption features in the new cards and now the FTA receivers no longer work for receiving Dish or Expressvu programming.

WHEN? last i heard everything was still working.. except for the 148* thing that happend a couple of days ago

HDTVFanAtic said:
And quiet simply, the I do not believe that the US Justice Department can prosecute theft of a Canadian Satellite Service. I suspect he would have to go through extradition to Canada to be tried - as he broke Canadian law - not US Law -though I will say I am not a lawyer either.
If he pirated Expressvu while in the U.S., then Expressvu can prosecute through the U.S. Court system, because U.S. law (DCMA, theft of service, etc...) was broken.
Same as Directv has had people prosecuted in Canada for doing the same thing.

Derwin0 said:
If he pirated Expressvu while in the U.S., then Expressvu can prosecute through the U.S. Court system, because U.S. law (DCMA, theft of service, etc...) was broken.
Same as Directv has had people prosecuted in Canada for doing the same thing.

There is a Canadian law against subbing to US Satellites. The same is not true in reverse.

I *believe* that is where the difference *might* lie, but I fully admit I have no direct knowledge of this.

As there is no law that a someone in USA cannot subscribe to the Canadian Services, I *believe* that they would be forced to extradite him to Canada for trial under Canadian Law.

HDTVFanAtic said:
There is a Canadian law against subbing to US Satellites. The same is not true in reverse.

I *believe* that is where the difference *might* lie, but I fully admit I have no direct knowledge of this.

As there is no law that a someone in USA cannot subscribe to the Canadian Services, I *believe* that they would be forced to extradite him to Canada for trial under Canadian Law.
I wasn't quoting that law. That's a specific law against Gray Market. Canada also has a law against Black Market as well. Seperate with much greater penalties.

shaggy

Dish & Bell are secure for the time being so the FTA boxes cannot steal :)
(which makes us LEGAL FTa'ers happy)
and last I checked DirecTV was secure :)

Derwin0 said:
I wasn't quoting that law. That's a specific law against Gray Market. Canada also has a law against Black Market as well. Seperate with much greater penalties.

But he wasn't SELLING Gray Market Merchandise. Look at the charge:

Scott Greczkowski said:
The second charge, theft of trade secrets, a violation of Title 18, Section 1832 (a)(2), is the result of infractions against another national satellite provider discovered during the investigation. Gluzman has admitted to obtaining and unlawfully distributing trade secrets and proprietary information from that provider.

There is a reason it's called the letter of the law.

Theft of "trade secrets" if BEV would have him prosecuted in Canadian courts - as BEV is a Canadian Company, not a US company.

Thus it has to be Directv they are talking about.

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
shaggy

unless something has happend in the last day that i don't know about its not... i could walk nextdoor for proof. this is the only one I've seen in person but i do know for a fact that it is hacked. and I'm glad the FTA boxes aren't working anymore (i meant to be able to steal E*), I have a FTA PCI card and i have never once tested w/ it or even looked up how. I'm w/ u ICE, using FTA the way it should be.

Iceberg said:
perhaps now the prices will go down, since my waivers will soon be worthless (goodbye Denver :() perhaps a FTA might be nice to have.

Iceberg said:
Go search ebay for 'Coolsat' or 'Coolsat 4000'. Look what comes up. It seems that we'll have a slew of dorks asking how to install the hardware now :mad: .

Just when I was getting hope of picking up a 6000 for $100ish they come up with more crap. These parts have been around since the 4000 model but they are suddenly REALLY popular. I don't think it's coincidence.

I wish Dish would get it locked down.

If Dish moved all their programming (HD & SD) to 8PSK or Turbo8PSK, wouldn't that shut down the pre-6000 boxes? At some point it has to be cheaper to swap out the four-digit receivers than to allow their signal to be hacked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)