Pissed at Tech support, need to vent

Cognato

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2006
Last week I called dish to report a problem with my 622 and that it stopped recoding my OTA channels. The signal strength is good and I could watch them live but could not pause or record them.

The person took all my information and said they would get back to me in 3 to 5 days regarding whether they would replace the DVR or send out a tech.

A week went by without a call so I called them. After I explained the problem again and they looked up my history she said that the DVR is not guarantied to record your local channels and that if it stopped working that was not their problem and I would just have to live with it.

I had her transfer me to customer service and I threaten to pull my service unless they fixed my problem. They are now sending me a replacement receiver.

I know it is all in who answers the phone, but still… Just needed to vent.

I always thought that if I had a problem, it was also the companies problem?
Guess not with Dish.

You probably already did this,, but..

When I had that problem, I
1) Removed the Sat Coax from the back of the 622
2) Unplugged the coax from the external antennae
3) Unplugged the 622 from the AC (left off 5 mins)
4) Plugged back in the antennae, sat coax and plugged in the 622
5) Fired everything up
6) Rescanned locals
7) Back being able to record OTA.. I have SD locals so I have a guide for HD OTA.

Last week I called dish to report a problem with my 622 and that it stopped recoding my OTA channels. The signal strength is good and I could watch them live but could not pause or record them.

Was it all of them? My old 921 would record all but 1 OTA & it was a sub channel of one it would record. the problem was in the configuration of the local channel, not the receiver.

just a thought.

Well...........if any of the Satallite service stopped performing as it should, Dish can service that. OTA, service, is NOT provided by Dish. Correct? If the service going into the receiver works in DVR mode for Sat, and not OTA, thats not Dish's fault. Just like when you have an ISP modem and a router. The modem plugs into the router, and then all of a sudden stops working, no connection. The modem supplier (ISP most likely) does not support the router, Correct? Where does it end? The receiver does have an atsc tuner for off air, and I would really like to know if Dish is supposed to support it. I would think, no.

That's bs. E* designed these receivers so that they could get HD locals via OTA since many areas do not have locals via Sat service. Many offices are to offer OTA antennas for install with the receiver. Why design these features into the receiver and put them in the manual if you wouldnt support it? That would raise the cost the receiver to make as well with the additional tuner.

Last edited:
The receivers are supposed to get SD locals OTA? How does *that* work? I'm getting my HD locals (what few there are of them) but I would rather have the SD locals and get *all* my locals.

If E makes a claim that its equipment can do something then they are responsible for making sure it can period, I would call up dish and get to an advanced tech support person on this.

I agree with what Van said, they made the receiver to support it so I think they should take care of it.

Where Im at many of the digital "HD" channels are really just SD, but they will go HD in 2009 when required. Not sure how it is for everyone else.

The facts are that on February 17th 2009 all over the air broad cast stations will switch off their analog transmitters and turn on their digital transmitters full time as directed by the fcc. The popular misconception is that this transition is requiring all broadcasters to go to high definition, this is not the case and there are no requirements for any broadcaster wether it be off air free to view content providers or pay to view providers. If all of the off the air free to view broadcasters in your area are transmitting digital programming then nothing will change come this time next year except that they wont be able to turn on their analog tuners should a digital one fail.

I did not try the removing all inputs and then doing a cold boot.

All I can say is that the replacement receiver worked fine all channels record and pause as they should.

Regarding the statement that dish is not responsible to be able record OTA channels is bull. If I have a failure in the turner of the DVR then it needs to be fixed. It would be like saying that if your TV still works if you hook up a DVD to it but just can not receive a TV channel then it is not the TV manufacturers fault because they can not be responsible for broadcast signals.

The fact that it worked for over a year and then all the OTA channels fail to record and that no one else is having a problem with it points to the equipment in my mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)