pixalation problem

just joe

Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
I am a satellite installer and I have had both a 510 and a 322 randomly pixalate a couple times a day. What could be causing this ? :confused:

just joe said:
I am a satellite installer and I have had both a 510 and a 322 randomly pixalate a couple times a day. What could be causing this ? :confused:

Unsure myself but I have seen that on every TV source I ever had, I.E. Dish,Cable, and C-band.

If both receivers are causing this then it is not a problem with the receivers. What kind of signal strength are you getting? Does this happen on all of the channels or just specific ones? How often does this happen and does this happen during certain parts of the day? Do you live near an airport?

Same thing happens to me last couple days. Receiver is 322. It only happens on local channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 18 and 172-173. It happenes on all tv (4 total) and 2 receivers. Dish said is the sun moves behind the satellite dish. But how come only on some channels? My signal strenght is above 90. Please help.

tgif1386 said:
Same thing happens to me last couple days. Receiver is 322. It only happens on local channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 18 and 172-173. It happenes on all tv (4 total) and 2 receivers. Dish said is the sun moves behind the satellite dish. But how come only on some channels? My signal strenght is above 90. Please help.

Like I said, if you dish is within line of sight of a road/driveway, chances are that someone is driving by with an older model radar detector and it's throwing off your FSS Satellite. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this same thing with all the 121 Super's in this area. It's crazy.

its a k band problem with the 105 and 121 signals, radar detectors using the k band system will knock out the FSS LNB, if its just passing by it will cause pixelation, if its your neibor it will completely knbow it out.

JasonSyracuse said:
Like I said, if you dish is within line of sight of a road/driveway, chances are that someone is driving by with an older model radar detector and it's throwing off your FSS Satellite. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this same thing with all the 121 Super's in this area. It's crazy.
My dish is not pointing any road or driveway. just too strange and too annoying.

Me and some other people has had similar issues with the 105 satellite locals where it would pixellate on the same channel at the exact same time when I had them write down the time that it had happened. I hope the new 105 satellite fixes this issue.

Note on the sun position problem.

Twice a year, for a few days, each satellite will have a few minutes of outage
  • during the day
  • one satellite at a time
  • time of day will vary by ground location

mine had been happened for the last week and it happened all day long. and Dish has no response on this issue yet.

The 105 and the 121 fss is a linear transmission, not circular polarization which we are all familiar with. This means it can receive interference from a variety of sources, you are correct there are some instances where radar detectors have caused problems. A cell tower can also cause this problem as well. If any techs are out there who have had customers complain that their locals go off at night? This is generally caused by emi, it generally happens in older areas of town where all the power is overhead. There is a solution that I know works for a fact for the 121, not sure if they have one for the 105, but they make a dish that just points at the 121 it has better shielding and 10db gain, with this you can achieve a 95 on this setup where as in a normal sd in my area 75-80 is very good. We have put in approx. 40 of these dishes to solve the issue,(mostly power related) and only once has it not worked( guys house was pointed directly at a cell tower) hope this helps :yes :)

Dish Dude said:
The 105 and the 121 fss is a linear transmission, not circular polarization which we are all familiar with. ...
Gawd, I'm old. When circular came out, it took me a while to wrap my head around it - "what do you mean no skew settings?". That was before Dish500 hijacked the word to mean something else, thereby confusing the issue for everyone. ;)
Dish Dude said:
... they make a dish that just points at the 121 it has better shielding and 10db gain ...
Would you care to expound on this "magic dish"? Is it just an older P* type setup, or have you found some secret supplier of stand-alone linear DP LNBFs?

we get them directly from DNS, I don't have the part # right now I am at home, the one I get is called the FSS 121 standalone, it is not a mythical dish. Find your local DNS installation depot and talked to the warehouse they will know what you are talking about. Forget about the CSR's most of them don't even know that certain receivers aren't compatible with SD. The 121 fss dish is bigger, 80 instead of 66 for the sd's. Just contact a DNS depot that has SD 121 and they will let you know the part # or I can get back to you on Teusday. Another thing no shroud and it is a fiberglass dish, and ain't pretty but it gets the job done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)