Pixelation, Audio Problems, and Max Signal (Dish 500)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pixelation

Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Hello, guys. Just got Dish Network installed about a week ago. I love the value of the channels but I've got some major gripes:

1) Pixelation. It's like I'm watching a VCD! Horrible! I've tried adjusting the contrast and brightness but the only way to completely eliminate it is to set the contrast to ZERO, but this makes the picture WAY too dark and hazy.

2) Audio problems. The audio constantly screws up. It either cuts out or sounds staticy, etc.

Also, I've noticed that my signal strength is about 105-107 on CNN, etc. and only 94 or so on FSTV and those type of channels. I climbed on the roof and double-checked to see if the installer set the skew and elevation properly—he did. Is it possible to get the signal maxed out or close to it (up to 125)?

Thank you.

Signal strength vaires by transponder. 100+ mid-90's are both good.

Transponders 11 & 12 are the "standard" used for 110 & 119 so that it's all apples-to-apples comparisons.

I agree with the pixelation problem. I upgraded to the 510 which gives me a brighter picture than my 310 did but the pixilation is terrible!!!
I haven't had any problems with the audio but the picture quality is driving me nuts, and of course Dish tech support is useless.
Anyone have any ideas on how to clean up the pixelation problems?

Pixelation said:
1) Pixelation.
With Dish Network SD channels, we will always see pixelation, or your name isn't... Pixelation. :)

If it hasn't been said already, welcome to SatelliteGuys.US, Pixelation! :)

Thanks for the links, NightRyder. It looks like the only way to remedy the issue is to go with C-Band. Is it expensive?

Thanks for the welcome, TuxCoder. :)

Yes, and you need a BUD - BIG Ugly Dish. And an unobstructed view of almost the entire sky from east to west all the way down to the ground or you're not going to get a bunch of satellites.

Count on professional installation being $500+ PLUS equipment of $500+ and finally, you will get fewer and fewer channels as time goes on. Sad but true.

I just setup a C-band system, here's how it broke down..

$26 10' Winegard Pinnacle ($30 gas to drive to Pittsburg to pick it up)
$75 custom adapter to mount dish to post instead of pole (metal $$$)
$25 10' 6x6 post
$25 8 bags concrete
$35 Toshiba TRX-1820 VCII+ receiver including module
$40 230' RG-11
$18 300' Cat-5 network cable for controlling dish actuator/polarizer

Programming costs for 1 year(www.satelliteprogramming.com):
$9 Comedy Central
$11.25 CNBC/MSNBC
$19.50 CNN/HLN/CNNI/FOXNEWS
$7 Weather Channel
Free C-Span

I own all the equipment so there's not monthly rental fee, just programming costs.

C-Band is a dinausaur waiting to die. I've had mine since '86.
The channels are diminishing, FX, Speed, and many others gone.

As far as SD pixelation - you shouldn't have any unless you're experiencing a monsoon.

It was never mentioned which receiver the original poster had. : a 311 should get a signal of 125 with proper installation. The 322, 522, and 811 all have stingy meters, you might get 110 os so on the 119 bird, less on the 110 bird.

fred

I had a recent problem with this. All my receivers would pixelate, lost signal, audio problems but signal was great.

Turned out to be my LNBF. I replaced it through DISH and no problem since.

Fredinva said:
C-Band is a dinausaur waiting to die. I've had mine since '86.
The channels are diminishing, FX, Speed, and many others gone.

As far as SD pixelation - you shouldn't have any unless you're experiencing a monsoon.

It was never mentioned which receiver the original poster had. : a 311 should get a signal of 125 with proper installation. The 322, 522, and 811 all have stingy meters, you might get 110 os so on the 119 bird, less on the 110 bird.

fred
I am not agree that C band is die, beside, all your programs from Dish or DTV are all from C band, I would keep my C band as long as it still work. Beside, I will see the DBV box will able to control C band dish so the BUD will getting more useful. As long as there Dish or DTV around, C band will stay.

Regarding the pixelation, that depend ing the size of TV and brand, I saw lots of the thin or plasma or LCD TV has such problem, if you has the 45" big screen TV, watch from 25 feet away, you will not notice this problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts