Pixelation - MPEG Compression Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
If you've ever started converting AVI or OGG or any media file to MPEG2 for SVCD, VCD, or for posting on a web site, you know that over compression causes the MPEG file to take similarly coded colors and areas and simplify them into one code.

This is the technique used by all compression algorithims used by .ZIP to .RAR to .MP3 and MPG, the problem I see the most (in my 60" RPTV) is mainly noticed in the STD channels. It is not noticeable in my older analog 36" television.

But mainly dark areas, backgrounds that have simple hues of reds and blue, become blocky and have a mosaic look to them. I know it has been discussed and asked about in many forums, but it makes STD channels really hard to watch on big screens. I think Voom should consider dropping 1-3 garbage channels that have the lowest viewership ratings for now, and increase the bandwidth on all channels. D*, E* and cable have similar PQ issues but I think that Voom must be seriously compressing the mess out of STD channels in order to deliver better HDTV content... I love the HDTV channels but on occasion especially in dark areas you can notice some of the same mosaic pixelation (however in 1080i it's less noticeable because of more lines of detail).

Before you say some RDTVs have problems with black areas, DVD and Xbox HDTV transmissions give me no problems whatsoever. So from my experience with computer video editing and copying, it would seem that the only solution would be for Voom to ease up on the transmission compressions. Personally either drop STD channels or drop Cinema10 channels and increase bandwidth for all of them, or by the time October rolls around and we all have new Voom antennas- don't overcrowd the new capabilities but increase the quality of the current lineup as well..

My two cents, what do you guys think?

first its RPTV not RDTV.
second I am not sure what STD means? I suppose you mean SD.
Third I agree, axe Moov and 5 HD cinema channels and increase the PQ.

Dvlos said:
This is the technique used by all compression algorithims used by .ZIP ....what do you guys think?
FWIW, ZIP compression is lossless which contrasts greatly with other methods of compresssion you mention. I don't think you meant to include ZIP in your description.

I am glad that I have three corrections to the generalizations and simple analogies I am making. I guess the only real point I was trying to make was that Voom should either:

A) Axe useless channels and increase bandwidth/PQ for all channels.

or

B) When October rolls around, don't jam up all the available bandwidth in a rush to offer more HD Channels than everyone, offer slightly less but with better quality across all channels.

C) I'm kinda new to this site, so I'm not familiar with all the cool Satellite lingo, D* V* E*, because typing Dish and Voom are harder, don't worry I'll get with the program, although I thought std. was an abbreviation for STANDARD, in which case I was referring to STANDARD channels.

Dvlos said:
I am glad that I have three corrections to the generalizations and simple analogies I am making. I guess the only real point I was trying to make was that Voom should either:

or

B) When October rolls around, don't jam up all the available bandwidth in a rush to offer more HD Channels than everyone, offer slightly less but with better quality across all channels.

C) I'm kinda new to this site, so I'm not familiar with all the cool Satellite lingo, D* V* E*, because typing Dish and Voom are harder, don't worry I'll get with the program, although I thought std. was an abbreviation for STANDARD, in which case I was referring to STANDARD channels.
Dvlos, meet the wanabee "teacher" of the forum, the "V-man"-LMAO

Make a mistake and be sure that "V" will correct it post haste-LOL

If you've got $5K sitting around you could get an Algolith Mosquito to help the problem.

Dvlos said:
If you check around you will find that there are very few channels (if any) that universally draw disdain. Some people here will build a case for keeping both barker channels let alone Auction, Tennis or the senseless Golf channel. Check this thread and poll - http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=15200

Dvlos said:
B) don't jam up all the available bandwidth in a rush to offer more HD Channels than everyone .
VOOM's got all available slots alloted so that no increased squeezing (i.e. compression) is supposed to occur. Supposedly at least two HD slots are still effectively empty awaiting new additional channels. Come October +/- another satellite location will become available to VOOM and they will be deploying MPEG4 / WM9 compression to supposedly offer more channels without sacrificing quality. No guesses on the mix of SD to HD.

Dvlos said:
C) I'm kinda new to this site.
Welcome to the forum, always wear a teflon coated kevlar virtual suit for cyber saftety.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts