Pixelation when I change a channel.......

ondarocks

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Is it normal for the picture to pixelate when I change the channel? Seems like right before the entire picture comes on there is a slight pixelation on the top before the picture fills the screen. Anything I can do to take care of this ?

This is a known issue with the software. According to Voom Engineers next software upgrade is supposed to take care of this.

Sean Mota said:
This is a known issue with the software. According to Voom Engineers next software upgrade is supposed to take care of this.

Ok cool, at least I know now that it's not me. I'll be awaiting the upgrade.

It looks like they are implementing the MPG2 stream immediately and incrementally instead of waiting for an entire frame to be rcvd first. If they do implement it, then we will get a black screen for a couple seconds when we change. I would rather they leave it alone.

I don't know if this can be called "normal" and whether they can really fix it, but this is a pretty typical thing for digital STBs. I had the same effect with my cable box. I guess it takes time for the MPEG2 decoder to catch the entire frame, as occammd pointed out.

In the previous version of the STB this was not so noticeable because they waited an extra second or two before showing the picture. A lot of people complained about channels changing too slowly, so they did all they could in the new version to speed up the channel changing.

As far as I am concerned, I prefer this pixelized picture to the black screen we had before.

As occammd said, this is normal since they are not capturing the entire frame before tuning in. I prefer this as a lot of channels snap in just as fast as an analog channel for me. On my Dish 6000 it takes as long as 5 seconds to get a picture since it waits before it acquires the entire frame and locks on before displaying a signal.

A couple of my OTA channels take awhile to lock on and my Voom stb tells me there is no signal after about 1 second, but if I wait a few seconds, the image appears.

Think of it as web pages. It takes time to download the page. The browser can wait for the entire page to download and display it in one swoop, or it can display the page as soon as it receives enough of it to show something. In the first case, there'll be a blank screen while the page downloads. In the second, you see something right away but the page shifts around as more elements stream in. I prefer the second. It gives you immediate visual feedback.

I guess we all experience pixilation when changing channels. But another thing I have noticed is that my reds are strobbing and the picture is tearing on CNN Headline News with all the graphics via VOOM. The same is not true with CNN Headline News viewed on DTV. Video settings are the same on both sources.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts