Pixellization on AMC6/C 72.0W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
As noted by TiminMb (who is in my area) yesterday, I am again seeing a lot of Pixellization on 72.0W AMC 6/C - the combined C/KU Satellite. This is occurring with good Q values of 40 - 50%! This has gone on now since last week when it was windy up here, but it is very calm today!! Its on 3 channels (SATOPS NETU) 12053 6890 V 5/6. Is this normal re this time of day, or is it just poor reception from our area?? Or do we need to rescan?

I'm wondering if its satellite wobble because here in MN I havent seen any of those issues. Nice strong signal

Must be something with the uplink, look at 11710 and 11704 both news feeds on right now, they are crystal clear. Just something with that group of channels I think, it wasn't like that earlier today, or last night.

Its got me puzzled. If the signal was simply weak, I'd either have to resign myself to the fact that, that's the way it is, but to get 59-62% quality on my Fortec Lifetime Ultra, and not get a solid picture, defies all my previous experience with this setup. Now, there is nothing to say that I can't somehow tweak a higher signal quality out of my antenna and fix the problem, but it may be quilding the lilly.

I can attest to the pixelization on the Net Ops mux. It sux cause I have a good signal so, something must not be right on their end. Not sure why.

Same thing here in Ontario. Very strong signal off my six foot dish with macroblocking. To my mind what might explain this is that the signal transmitted is fine, but some other transmission is adding into the signal which is putting it off balance. Say there is a signal source behind or in front of the satellite at that azimuth, does not have to be intelligible, just enough to muddy the water. Another possibility is that there is slight overlap between signals on the same transponder?

Same thing here in Ontario. Very strong signal off my six foot dish with macroblocking. To my mind what might explain this is that the signal transmitted is fine, but some other transmission is adding into the signal which is putting it off balance. Say there is a signal source behind or in front of the satellite at that azimuth, does not have to be intelligible, just enough to muddy the water. Another possibility is that there is slight overlap between signals on the same transponder?

I can only get about 4 or 5 channels on 72.0W (AMC6/C), at the best of times, and they all look like news feeds except for Telemundo 1 & CITYBOY P-4 which have no Sound, Picture or Signal Level. The only Channel I see now is frozen and says MSNBC NWYK NJ.

Is Satellite Reception Dependent on the Time Of Day??
Another Question: Not sure if this is related to the above problem, but what also seems Time Of Day related from this area - Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada is the fact that on any Evening between about 4:30 to 8:00 PM I cannot pick up Pentagon Channel on AMC1 - 103.0W. In this case the Q signal drops right down to 10% or less. I have seen comments re Iceberg that 103.0W can be hard to pick up. But why does 103.0W get worse in the early evening for me, then if I try at say 12:00 Midnight and thereafter, I can see a Q =30 to 40%, and a decent picture on the Pentagon Channel?

I have definately seen a time of day change in signal. This is especially apparent where signals are marginal. I wonder if its the antenna, being affected by temperature and angle of the sun, or if its an atmospheric phenomena such as ionization of the ionosphere?

AMC6 seems to be back to normal this morning. But as the heat picks up it may go downhill.
For our WInnipeg watcher> since AMC1 is skewed a little strange it does cut down on reception, heat prob affects it too. When I had the prime-focus lnb on my 5'KU dish, I usually hit 95-100%quality on Pentagon, one of the strongest signals I can get here at 34N. Since I switched to the primestar-motorized on polar mount setup, the quality has gone down to about 40% but its still watchable.

I have definately seen a time of day change in signal. This is especially apparent where signals are marginal. I wonder if its the antenna, being affected by temperature and angle of the sun, or if its an atmospheric phenomena such as ionization of the ionosphere?

You know what I have noticed in my issues lately is the humidity in my area has been insane (upper 90%) and my reception issues on ends of the arc have increased (skew being goofy with humidity?)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Can I get Amos 2 at 4.0°W

Skystar2 pci does signal strength show

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)