Plans for 622 Guide to Show "HD" by Programs

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
A feature I really liked on my HR20 is it had "HD" by a program so you knew whether that was being shown in HD or SD. E* have any plans for this on the EPG?

Well - they now have an "HD" logo on the guide (and on the DVR recordings list), but it is on a per-channel basis. It shows on the channels that are HD Channels, and therefore may POTENTIALLY be showing an HD program. But it is not specific to the program itself.

Yeah, what Id love to see is a HD logo next to the actual program in the guide. Good on OTA locals especially since some sporting events arent hd. Also good on channels like A&E HD.

As far as A&E HD is concerned, all the programs they show are in HD...

Yeah, the same "HD" programs that TNT shows. :down

And, I know I can get them off the net, does not do me much good when Im looking through wanting to record stuff in HD, or to see if a sporting event is hd.

Yeah, what Id love to see is a HD logo next to the actual program in the guide. Good on OTA locals especially since some sporting events arent hd. Also good on channels like A&E HD.
I can remember in the 1960's when Color was really beginning to take off and TV Guide started identifying those individual shows that were being broadcast in color.
Watercooler conversation the next day would go like, "did you see Ed Sullivan last night?"
"Yeah."
"Was it any good?"
"Great. It was in color."

We've come full circle and actually find ourselves watching HD shows that likely wouldn't have caught our attention a few years ago. Heck, I'd watch CSI Miami just for the opening credits. ;)

Yeah. When these channels are simulcasting and I want to record a show, I want to make sure I record the HD version if thats what it is. A&E loves nonHD stuff and Im afraid HistHD is going to be that way. Many nights I record shows late, and itd be nice to have the ability to say hey(its actually HD) instead of having to look at other sources. I would think it wouldnt be that hard, but maybe Im wrong.

We've come full circle and actually find ourselves watching HD shows that likely wouldn't have caught our attention a few years ago.
Even hang around AVS much ?? There are people there who literally refuse to watch a show if it's not in HD and they watch the most obscure sh*t because it is in HD. I'd guess most people have their own "favs" channel list... Know how Dish has an "All HD" guide ?? That's gotta be their exclusive guide. Ask 'em what the show's about. "Ummm, don't know, but the colors are great". Ask 'em who's in it. "Ummm, I didn't catch their names but they look great !".

Yeah, like the first week I had HD it was like that but it wore off. Granted if I had my choice Id rather see the HD, but those guys are a little overboard.

Ahahahaha I'm not that bad but close. I'll watch stuff that I've seen 1000s of times just cause it's HD. 10 Things I Hate About You comes to mind. :D

Even hang around AVS much ?? There are people there who literally refuse to watch a show if it's not in HD and they watch the most obscure sh*t because it is in HD. I'd guess most people have their own "favs" channel list... Know how Dish has an "All HD" guide ?? That's gotta be their exclusive guide. Ask 'em what the show's about. "Ummm, don't know, but the colors are great". Ask 'em who's in it. "Ummm, I didn't catch their names but they look great !".

Too bad "All HD" is really "All Digital" when in comes to locals. Yes, all Dish is digital--I mean when a local channel has 4 subchannels it clearly is not HD as we speak of it.
-Ken

Uhm, Guilty here.

But in my defense, much of the crap in my SD guide is just as worthless anyway. So if I'm gonna sit on my ass channel surf'n, it may as well be HD. I rarely venture outside of the "All HD" guide. But then again, I have a ton of OTA digital channels in my area too.

A feature I really liked on my HR20 is it had "HD" by a program so you knew whether that was being shown in HD or SD. E* have any plans for this on the EPG?

The 622 has that already in the following way:

- Channels that are transmitted by E* in HD format have a white "HD" next to the channel name/number in the guide. (Pressing the Guide button a few times will bring up "List: All HD" which only lists those channels.)

and

- Listings for each program have " (HD) " when the program is broadcast in HD - just like they have " (CC) " when the programs have Closed Captions. Like all the Tribune Listings information, this is often wrong. Some channels abuse the (HD) designation, by reporting it as "HD" when they have taken the feed from their 4x3 SD channel and upconverted it to HD. By the way, this listings information is displayed above the guide by simpling highlighting the show in the Guide.

So, I am not seeing what more the HR20 could have...

The 622 does not have a "HD" next to a p[rogram when you are looking at the guide. Some HD channels dont always show HD, for example A&E and TNT. When you hit "guide" on the hr20, EVERY program that is actually broadcast in HD has a orange HD next to it.

You see this HD logo just in the guide, you don't have to select the program, nothing. Its especially helpful when scrolling through locals so you know whats in HD and what isnt. The All HD guide on the 622 is useless.

The 622 has NOTHING like this.

I'm still not sure what you mean by an "orange HD" next to it.

Do you mean that the guide has:

HD 9421 DSCHD Science of Star Wars HD Science of Star Wars HD Science of Star Wars HD Dinosaur Planet HD

HD 9420 TNTHD Charmed HD Charmed HD Law & Order HD Law & Order HD

instead of:

HD 9421 DSCHD Science of Star Wars Science of Star Wars Science of Star Wars Dinosaur Planet

HD 9420 TNTHD Charmed Charmed Law & Order Law & Order

?

Seems cluttered and pointless. Why not list CC and DD ?

The reality is - as mentioned - that the channels list "HD" even when the program is not.

As far as local channels, none of the programs are HD, except for:

- NBC Nightly News
- Some local news
- Wheel of Fortune
- Jeopardy
- Prime Time Network programming
- National Sports (NFL, etc.)

nothing else is in HD on locals - and I predict it never will be.

Last edited:
The first example is exactly what Im talking about.

Pointless to you maybe, but not to me as it makes browsing the guide and selecting programs to record late at night one step easier(nat geo sd and hd;hd doesnt always show programs without sidebars)

I know the channels list HD when the program is not as Ive been watching hd for about 3 years now, thats why Id like the logo.

Youre way off the the locals. NFL games are HD, NBC news is HD, etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)