Plasma or LCD for D* HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jesserulz233

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 8, 2005
South Carolina
Which is better? I just bought a 37 inch LCD with 1000:1 contrast ratio. Is plasma better or LCD. I am getting Directv HD soon. Which is also better for gaming? My Xbox 360 looks amazing on the LCD. The only problem I have had with it is the Black levels but I have heard that is a common issue with LCD. Thanks for the responses.

You made the right choice.................

Which is better? I just bought a 37 inch LCD with 1000:1 contrast ratio. Is plasma better or LCD. I am getting Directv HD soon. Which is also better for gaming? My Xbox 360 looks amazing on the LCD. The only problem I have had with it is the Black levels but I have heard that is a common issue with LCD. Thanks for the responses.

You may have noticed the the LCD's were a bit more expensive. I think the word is out on the short life span of Plasma's

NEW Plasmas in general have a 35,000-60,000 hours hour life span depending on the brand and model. LCD's lifespan is comperable, maybe 10% more on the highest estimates for longevity. The "Plasma TVs don't hold up" thing is from the oringinal models in 1999-2001 which were crap for the most part. That is no longer the norm.

LCDs are better for gaming only because they have virtually no chance of burn-in. Plasma, though nowhere neare as likely to burn in as most people think, does have a chance to burn in.

Which looks better? When looking at them head on (no angle) the good LCDs and the good plasmas look nearly identical. The only way one can tell an LCD is by the latency. The LCDs tend to have more aliasing (get blocky on the edges of a fast moving object - very, very subtle..) because the LCD pixel takes much more time to switch from one state to another than a plasma pixel. So when watching football or a fast chase scene in a movie, the LCD tends to get blurry in comparison to a plasma. again this is VERY slight.

The better LCDs can be viewed from just about any angle, but there is always some brightness and contrast difference between head-on viewing and angled viewing. This is because there is a light shining though the LCD panel and that is how the picture is made. The plasma's picture is made up of glowing nodules of gas/plasma so no matter what angle you look at it, the glowing plasma is the same brightnes and hue.

Plasmas in general have blacker blacks than LCD. The reason is that LCDs make black by blocking the light shining though the LCD panel. Plasmas just don't activate those pixels at all so the blacks are much purer. Again, the better LCDs make very dark blacks. 7.5% luminance is considered a good "black level" anyway.

LCD panels are cheaper to make in the smaller sizes than plasma. But when you get to anything over 32-35" then the plasmas are much cheaper only because they are cheaper to make. Economies of scale also play into this. But LCDs in larger sizes aren't necessarily more expensive because they are better.

How do I know this? I own one of each! I have a 32" LCD (Toshiba 32HL66) and a 42" Plasma (Hitachi - Forgot the model number off the top of my head) I've seen it with my own eyes.

Both sets provide a great picture and are good in their own way. I like the look of the plasma better, but this is a PERSONAL POV and it could change as technology moves on.

If you want to confuse yourself further, take a looks at this page and follow the link to "plasma vs LCD" too.
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-lifespan.html

---This article is newer and maybe a little more objective http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/0,239035250,240036500,00.htm

Oh...one more thing.... The luminance and contrast numbers, IGNORE THEM!!!!! Unless you are comparing models from the same brand, these numbers have absolutely no commonality. There is no standard what-so-ever. Manufactures litterally make them up! They come up with whatever test to come up with the highest or coolest sounding number they can publish.

No matter what you do MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THE TV WITH YOUR OWN TWO EYES before you buy one. NEVER EVER go by specs. I was about to buy a different Hitachi model Plasma than I ended up buying because the numbers looked good on paper. That model had the worst looking picture of all the sets I looked at that day even after tweaking the picture on three different TVs of the same model. I did this at several different stores. I ended up with a different, model which ended up costing LESS.

See ya
Tony

You may have noticed the the LCD's were a bit more expensive. I think the word is out on the short life span of Plasma's

You may have noticed the LCD's are increasing their refresh rates to 120hz. I think the word is out on the blurrier picture with fast action compared to plasma :p

NEW Plasmas in general have a 35,000-60,000 hours hour life span depending on the brand and model. LCD's lifespan is comperable, maybe 10% more on the highest estimates for longevity. The "Plasma TVs don't hold up" thing is from the oringinal models in 1999-2001 which were crap for the most part. That is no longer the norm.

LCDs are better for gaming only because they have virtually no chance of burn-in. Plasma, though nowhere neare as likely to burn in as most people think, does have a chance to burn in.

Which looks better? When looking at them head on (no angle) the good LCDs and the good plasmas look nearly identical. The only way one can tell an LCD is by the latency. The LCDs tend to have more aliasing (get blocky on the edges of a fast moving object - very, very subtle..) because the LCD pixel takes much more time to switch from one state to another than a plasma pixel. So when watching football or a fast chase scene in a movie, the LCD tends to get blurry in comparison to a plasma. again this is VERY slight.

The better LCDs can be viewed from just about any angle, but there is always some brightness and contrast difference between head-on viewing and angled viewing. This is because there is a light shining though the LCD panel and that is how the picture is made. The plasma's picture is made up of glowing nodules of gas/plasma so no matter what angle you look at it, the glowing plasma is the same brightnes and hue.

Plasmas in general have blacker blacks than LCD. The reason is that LCDs make black by blocking the light shining though the LCD panel. Plasmas just don't activate those pixels at all so the blacks are much purer. Again, the better LCDs make very dark blacks. 7.5% luminance is considered a good "black level" anyway.

LCD panels are cheaper to make in the smaller sizes than plasma. But when you get to anything over 32-35" then the plasmas are much cheaper only because they are cheaper to make. Economies of scale also play into this. But LCDs in larger sizes aren't necessarily more expensive because they are better.

How do I know this? I own one of each! I have a 32" LCD (Toshiba 32HL66) and a 42" Plasma (Hitachi - Forgot the model number off the top of my head) I've seen it with my own eyes.

Both sets provide a great picture and are good in their own way. I like the look of the plasma better, but this is a PERSONAL POV and it could change as technology moves on.

If you want to confuse yourself further, take a looks at this page and follow the link to "plasma vs LCD" too.
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-lifespan.html

---This article is newer and maybe a little more objective http://www.cnet.com.au/tvs/0,239035250,240036500,00.htm

Oh...one more thing.... The luminance and contrast numbers, IGNORE THEM!!!!! Unless you are comparing models from the same brand, these numbers have absolutely no commonality. There is no standard what-so-ever. Manufactures litterally make them up! They come up with whatever test to come up with the highest or coolest sounding number they can publish.

No matter what you do MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THE TV WITH YOUR OWN TWO EYES before you buy one. NEVER EVER go by specs. I was about to buy a different Hitachi model Plasma than I ended up buying because the numbers looked good on paper. That model had the worst looking picture of all the sets I looked at that day even after tweaking the picture on three different TVs of the same model. I did this at several different stores. I ended up with a different, model which ended up costing LESS.

See ya
Tony

Great assessment Tony, I spent over a month researching and comparing both while the basement was being finished. In the end I choose the plasma, couple of reasons actually, one I’m not a gamer, and I just liked the look and the size was just right for the area that it was going to be in. As you stated they are both excellent TV`s. It all comes down to ones own preference.

Here is my take. I think LCD Flatpanels are basically good for small bedroom, bathroom, kitchen sets and nothing else. I don't think they compare well to the other technologies at all (except for the high end Sony and Sharp models, which do pretty well).

< 42" CRT if it fits, else LCD Flatpanel
42-50" Plasma, if you want to save money 720p RPTV
>50" 1080p RPTV if it fits, else Plasma

In my view D*'s compression artifacts will kick in long before today's LCDs blur the image.

The OP needs to look at the TVs and see what he thinks. I like LCD.

Plasma or LCD?

Neither as far as I'm concerned.

CRT RPTV. That's the ticket.

Not a very sexy package but, it'll knock your socks off when you're watching it.

BTW, I have a Plasma too, My CRT RPTV is the main TV. The plasma's in the Rec Room.

It always comes down to personal choice.
RPTVs looks great if you can look at it at a 30-40° angle off the perpendicular or less. Some look great at steeper angles but you then start noticing lighting differences from one side to the other of the TV.

There are three major types of RPTV (rear projection TVs) all have their advantages and disadvantages. The biggest advantage is size to price ratio! A 60" RPTV can be as much as 70% cheaper than a flat screen and look as good when viewed directly from the front.

The biggest disadvantage is depth of the TV. RPTVs are much, much thicker than a flat panel strictly because you have to make room for the projector and series of mirrors that illuminate the screen.

Another disadvantage to RPTVs is the screen itself. As a larger RP screen ages, it yellows. Yes it does :) I know that this is a hot-button for some RP folks, but there is no doubt that a 6 year-old well used RP set has a yellower screen than a brand new one. Why is this important? It changes the color balance off for EVERYTHING. The change is very gradual and not noticeable to the owner of the set that looks at it every day. But to an outsider an older RP will look washed out and ...well... yellow. :) As the technology has progressed this has been less and less of an issue, but it is still there even today. If there is a smoker in the house, the yellowing is not so subtle. You can clean the nicotine from the outside easy enough, but not from the inside and it bakes on too.

Another screen issue especially for the cheaper sets is screen sag. Over the years an RP screen will bow in and sag back into the set. This is very slight but it happens on most RP sets. Why is this a problem? Simple: Focus. the projector is set to focus or provide the sharpest picture at a specific distance. If the screen is moved closer, the focus softens ever-so-slightly. On CRT projectors this also affects convergence.

As I said there are three types of projectors out there: LCD, DLP and CRT.

The LCD (Liquid Crystal Diode) units are simple. Take an LCD panel and project an intense beam of light through it to a larger screen. The inherent problems to LCD discussed in my last post remain. Latency and inability to produce pure black levels. Again this is nit-picky... they look great! But they do have their limitations.

DLP (Digital Light Processing) is relatively new technology, but test show it is more reliable that one would think. We are talking about thousands of rotating prisms (they call them mirrors but they are really prisms) at work here to make the picture. The result is incredibly sharp pictures with very vibrant colors and true blacks. But there are thousands of moving parts! This is a personal bias... I do not trust moving parts! Also when I first heard about this I automatically thought of the failed CBS rotating color filter wheel they proposed for color TV in the 1940s & 50s.
But all that aside DLP is a great choice.

CRT (Cathode ray tube) is tried and true and as old as any projection TVs out there. Essentially you have a red, green and blue CRT projecting their image onto a screen through mirrors to keep the unit thin. The pictures are smooth because essentially they are created via analog means making it more pleasing to the eye with all things equal. When properly set up on a good quality new screen CRTs are very nice!

CRT projectors come in two flavors. The single tube projector and the three tube.
The single tube eliminates the convergence issues (having to aim the three projectors at exactly the same place) but still have internal convergence issues just like home TVs. This happens mostly at the corners of the screen even on direct-view regular TV screens.
The three tube RP sets have manual convergence and this needs to be tweaked every so often to get the best picture quality. It's not a big deal, but it is necessary. However, no matter how fancy the set, convergence will never ever be perfect on the entire screen through the life of the set. It will be close, but no cigar on one spot or another. It's just the nature of the beast. I have to stress that this is a nit-pick. Some may be able to notice these things without having to have it pointed out. But most people will not see or at least not care it even AFTER it's pointed out.

Hope this helps

See ya
Tony

I still don't understand the thinking behind designing a HDRPTV that has a light bulb that you have to change after 3000 hours.Mind you the good thing is when you replace the light bulb the HDRPTV looks like brand new.But if you watch alot of TV you will go in hock replacing light bulbs.Then you have the saleskid at Best Buy telling you the light bulb lasts 60,000 hours?.I politely informed the kid of the
difference in the hour ratings.But what about the uninformed buyer?.I just believe that that is a good technology gone bad.:confused:

I still don't understand the thinking behind designing a HDRPTV that has a light bulb that you have to change after 3000 hours.

Well, if that is the TV you judge, in your opinion, to have the best picture for the price, rez, size, etc., then a couple of hundred bucks every few years to replace the bulb is not that significant. I know some bullbs may go out sooner but mine went over 7000hrs without failure. I replaced it anyway because I was into the back of the TV to clean and explore and figured I'd put in my spare while I was there. (Now the used one is my spare) At 8hrs/day 365days/year it took well over two years to get to 7000hrs. Weigh the $200 over 2 years against ~$2000 for the TV and $90/mo for satellite service and it doesn't seem to me to be a big deal.

Your first mistake is getting Direct TV. Why would anyone want only 7 HD channels? Yes, that's what Direct TV offers. First buy a LCD. I own one 52'' Sharp. Great TV. Blackness is great. View angle is great. You can play all the games that you want with no burnout worries. It is brighter than Plasma. Longer life span. And last get Dish if you want more HD channels. Basic HD package 28 shannels $50. And all that talk about Direct TV offering 100 HD channels, Yeah right.

Your first mistake is getting Direct TV. Why would anyone want only 7 HD channels? Yes, that's what Direct TV offers. First buy a LCD. I own one 52'' Sharp. Great TV. Blackness is great. View angle is great. You can play all the games that you want with no burnout worries. It is brighter than Plasma. Longer life span. And last get Dish if you want more HD channels. Basic HD package 28 shannels $50. And all that talk about Direct TV offering 100 HD channels, Yeah right.

Maybe he likes to watch a lot of football like on the Sunday Ticket and maybe he wants to watch a lot of baseball via the E.I. package, good chance E* wont have that either starting this year, and this fall good chance D* may have more and what I consider better HD offerings than E*. So quit trolling and go back and report to Charlie for your next assignment. Back to the thread here,we were having a decent exchange about various types of TV`s there are numerous D* vs. E* threads all over this and other forum sites,take it over there.

Your talking of a DLP that the bulb last 3000 hours,,, a CRT RPTV with 3 lamps like mine will last years. I have a RPTV 7 years old and the bulbs are still great. Just stay away from DLP.

How is the viewing when not watching from straight on? My uncle has an rptv and if you are not sitting in the best seat in the house (his seat, by the way) it is barely viewable. His is maybe 4 or 5 years old. Are they better now?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts