Play in Dish Adjustments

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Larry1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Port Hope, ON Canada
Most of the small Ku dishes I have seen have a great amount of play in the pivot points. The manufacturers do not seem to put much engineering or manufaturing quality into the dish mounts to make it easier to peak the dish. Usually the pivot point is just a bolt with the holes of the mount having a loose fit. The screw type elevation adjustments that some have also seem to have an excessive amount of play in the mechanics. A little more engineering in the design and quality in the manufacturing would make peaking the dish much easier. Even replacing the pivot bolt with a larger diameter bolt that is tight fitting would eliminate a lot of the movement and greatly help in tweeking the dish. It is frustrating enough when peaking the dish, and if you add a motor, you only have more adjustment to contend with. You have to make fine adjustments with sloppy mechanics. For someone just starting out, it is very frustrating to try to make small adjustments when you have so much play in the adjustments.

I agree. But a least there are some mounts that HAVE an elevation screw adjustment. Why they haven't come up with a similar azimuth adjustment is a mystery to me.

The problem is manufacturing costs. It is possible to make a precision adjustment mount but it would cost more and make them less competitive in the market place. So they COULD have a great product but they would not stay in business long as the secret is to appeal to the masses and not just a few of us that like quality equipment. And you know what the masses want

Greg Mueller said:
I agree. But a least there are some mounts that HAVE an elevation screw adjustment. Why they haven't come up with a similar azimuth adjustment is a mystery to me.

It has been available for azimuth as well in the old days, but today they want to produce as cheap products as possible so i guess they have skimped it to save a few $$

However you can find it in commercial dishes like Andrew, Prodelin etc......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts