Playstation 3 Pic/specs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cascade

Goose.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 1, 2004
37.134004N 76.561779W
For those who are interested, Sony have been practically forced to reveal details after the much hyped Xbox preview last week....

Pic

Specs:
* Product name: PlayStation 3
* CPU
Cell Processor
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7 x SPE @3.2GHz
7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS
* GPU
RSX @550MHz
1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines
* Sound
Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell- base processing)
* Memory
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
* System Bandwidth
Main RAM 25.6GB/s
VRAM 22.4GB/s
RSX 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB< 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)
* System Floating Point Performance
2 TFLOPS
* Storage
Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
* I/O
USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
Memory Stick standard/Duo, PRO x 1
SD standard/mini x 1
CompactFlash (Type I, II) x 1
* Communication
Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
* Controller
Bluetooth (up to 7)
USB 2.0 (wired)
Wi-Fi (PSP)
Network (over IP)
* AV Output
Screen size: 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI: HDMI out x 2
Analog: AV MULTI OUT x 1
Digital audio: DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) x 1
* Disc Media
CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE

eww, that remote is too similar to a huge bulky microsoft product

Yeah that remote is awesome.

The remote in the picture reminds me of a microsoft USB remote I have...

It isn't going to have a built-in hard drive :confused: ?? Thats what makes the xbox so nice, you dont have to spend more money to save your games.

As soon as Gran Turismo 5 comes out, I'll have to have one!

(only reason I got a PS2 was for GT3, and now GT4! hehe)

thiggin2 said:
It isn't going to have a built-in hard drive :confused: ?? Thats what makes the xbox so nice, you dont have to spend more money to save your games.

The PS3 will ship with a detachable 2.5-inch hard drive. I am sure they left off the size of the drive because they have not settled on one and when they say "detachable" we assume hot-swapable. These consoles are becoming more and more like the PCs they were trying to kill but did not. For the money the PC can still do far more just as fast for the same costs. I for one think Sony was smart to wait until the Xbox 360 specs were laid out in print, they can now one up each piece as they see fit. Like bigger hard drive and more memory. They already have the better processor & DVD system.

The CRAZY thinking by MS is below. NOTE* but guys, you STILL can't play old PS2 or PS1 games, so the 87+ million PS owners will WAIT for the PS3 not jump to the Xbox and ditch those old games, nor would I want multiple consoles. Once you spend that cash, buy a darn PC!

Microsoft has sold 20 million Xboxes since the console's introduction in 2001. The machine has outsold Nintendo's GameCube console and has seen its momentum grow dramatically as it gets more mature. Despite its successes, the Xbox is merely an also-ran when compared to sales of Sony's (Research) PlayStation 2, which launched a year earlier and has sold nearly 87 million units.

By being first to market in the next generation, Microsoft hopes to reverse its market position with Sony and take a leadership role in the industry.

Glad to see they got Batman to redesign the controller for them. its a good tie in with the movie coming out and all.

Also as far as being able to play old games. Whats the point of playing old games in your new system. If you want to play old games keep the old system. If you try to trade it in or sell it your going to get like $70 for it so just keep it. I think the PS3 is going to be really expensive unless the price of bluray drops dramatically in the next year I don't see how they sell it for less then $400 or $500 without taking huge losses on the machine.

BFG said:
eww, that remote is too similar to a huge bulky microsoft product
You apparently don't have large hands. My fat fingers prefer the oversized XBox remote over the smaller PS2 remote anyday. I only wish the Xbox controller would have had 4 trigger buttons instead of 2+B/W buttons.

PS3 looks too much like a fax machine to me. I wish these guys made a better design. But I really could care less on what the outside is like in the large scheme of things.

Thats one of the things I never understood about some of the game companies. Nintendo for example focused so much effor to make a small machine like the game cube that it suffered in the performance department. They had to use little tiny disks it wasalmost laughable. The XBOX was big but it had a lot of good stuff inside and performed well.

I just wish thes companies realized that I still want a console with wires to the controllers because I don't want to have to keep buying batteries.

Cascade said:
For those who are interested, Sony have been practically forced to reveal details after the much hyped Xbox preview last week....

Wrong.
Sony's announcement was planned month ago and when it got leaked, MS suddenly organized that very-very lame and empty MTV crap. :)

The PS3 has several features that will, I think, help Sony maintain an edge in the console market: 1) Library. Contrary to what some posters think, backwards compatibility is HUGE, as the Sony catalog is unmatched (I mean, c'mon, take Halo out of the MS arsenal and what PS-killers are there?). Also, believe it or not, but many folks don't want a bunch of redundant gadgets cluttering their living room, etc. 2) Power. The Sony tech demos showed that they have the most powerful system of the 3 with architecture that is truly next gen and new and whose tangible benefits are sure to grow as developers learn to really take advantage of them, 3) full HD exploitation, making it a viable home theater hub...two HDMI outputs, Blu-Ray disc playback for HD movies. Enough said. 4) Novel player experiences. Eye-Toy HD control--we're going to see revolutionary play mechanics, real VR stuff. Links with the PSP. The hot portable is going to be another way of differentiating the Sony from the MS experience. Head-to-Head and 7-player controllers standard, allowing full screen gaming in SD/HD w/ one box (see HDMI above) and utilizing multiple screens...hot. Finally, As to the controller--Sony is a VERY ergonomic/design focussed company...I think we should reserve judgement on its effectiveness and how well it feels/performs compared to the dual-shock until folks actually get it in their hands. The Sony controllers up to now have been 'best in breed', so I'd think they've done their homework on this one to great lengths... Likewise, the chassis design does seem a bit 'sedate', but I feel it belies their wanting it to feel more at home as an A/V component. Less childish and gimmicky. The X-Box gen 1 was one of the worst in the latter regards...I give MS kudos for classing up the 360. It doesn't look like an action figure playset anymore.

BTW--Check out gamespot.com for some great movie streams of the Sony tech demos.

All that notwithstanding, the XBox 360 seems a very solid unit and these new consoles are really going to push the envolope to the benefit of all gamers. This round is starting out much more even than the last (where Microsoft's late entry allowed it to summon a clear technical edge) and it'll be interesting to see what transpires next Spring.

I think I will go with the PS3. The only thing that worries me is the price engadget.com is reporting that the unit may cost "less than 50,000 yen each" which is the equivalent of about $465. If that is the case I will just stick with my XBOX 1 and play current gen games. There is no way I am shelling out nearly $500 to play video games.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000567043796/

Remember the pre-released specs on the PS2? It was supposed to be much much more then what they turned out.

I have a feeling these specs will not be near the hardware which is actually released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)