The PlayStation Vue Thread

I read the cord cutter article but it still didn't say everyone was getting locals with the $10 price increase. So now people without locals are going to match everyone else? Or is there a deal now for all to get locals? Or am I missing something....

I read the cord cutter article but it still didn't say everyone was getting locals with the $10 price increase. So now people without locals are going to match everyone else? Or is there a deal now for all to get locals? Or am I missing something....

NBC, ABC and Fox have put deals in place that are not owned by networks to make it easier to get deals with affiliates for streaming services.
I would think within a year most of the country will be covered.
I say that but as of now no one carries Birmingham locals.

It's really too bad everything's in stereo, now that I've got my new 5.1 surround sound in. Once they start broadcasting in DD 5.1 I may try again but not holding my breath.

I just made an assumption. I probably should have made it clear it was an opinion.

I THINK their clear intention is that they WILL provide locals to every plan fairly soon. It might take a little longer to turn them on in some cases, so doing a money grab now doesn't seem right to me.

But, I guess the market will decide.

Reactions: spencer7779
Eliminating the Slim packages before resolving the missing Local Networks in most regions of the US is a mistake in my opinion. Why is it so difficult to negotiate with these affiliates? I wish the government would go back to allowing Cable/Satellite/Streaming Services to offer National Feeds of the major Networks. I know this is an imperfect solution and people would usually prefer to have their local network affiliates for news and weather, but it is better then having those networks missing and not available on all services.

Eliminating the Slim packages before resolving the missing Local Networks in most regions of the US is a mistake in my opinion. Why is it so difficult to negotiate with these affiliates? I wish the government would go back to allowing Cable/Satellite/Streaming Services to offer National Feeds of the major Networks. I know this is an imperfect solution and people would usually prefer to have their local network affiliates for news and weather, but it is better then having those networks missing and not available on all services.

Pure greed on the affiliates.

I wish they had kept one skinny bundle. I have a Tivo for OTA channels, and have no need for locals from them. I don't even believe they are going to include all locals with sub-channels. Just the 4 main networks. I watch the sub-channels more than the main ones.

Reactions: buckeyebrian

I wish they had kept one skinny bundle. I have a Tivo for OTA channels, and have no need for locals from them. I don't even believe they are going to include all locals with sub-channels. Just the 4 main networks. I watch the sub-channels more than the main ones.

I also get my locals OTA, and I have CM DVR to record those channels, so I would personally like to see more Sling Orange types of packages that don't offer those channels and offer a lower overall price.

No one ever mentions the PBS locals, but it would be nice if they would bring them on board also.

Fortunately, PBS has a great free app that airs all the current shows -- same day from the ones I've watched on it. And since PBS doesn't cut their shows with commercials, the ability to record isn't needed. You can FF/RW/pause in the app anyway. My biggest issue is that since PBS isn't in my PS Vue guide, I forgot to check what's on it.

Reactions: spencer7779

Good point. Tonight I watched CW, my20, Bounce, & Grit. All OTA broadcast locally.

Fortunately, PBS has a great free app that airs all the current shows -- same day from the ones I've watched on it. And since PBS doesn't cut their shows with commercials, the ability to record isn't needed. You can FF/RW/pause in the app anyway. My biggest issue is that since PBS isn't in my PS Vue guide, I forgot to check what's on it.

I was actually going to start a thread on this tonight. PBS is a big sticking point in my house for switching to OTT. The Mrs watches the Masterpiece Classic shows like Downton Abbey & Poldark. I was having throuble finding solid info online. These shows are made available on their free site/app for a window, correct?

PBS is one of the main reasons I'm interested in FTA sat. No solid PBS OTA at my house unfortunately.

Edit/Add: Just looked up the 4 shows currently airing under PBS Masterpiece Classic & the current season does look available for each of the 4. Does anyone know how quick they post them?

Also, their News Hour has a dedicated YouTube channel.

It's funny.
Do people really think sat/cable will stop raising fees each year??
Not happening.
Streaming has a ways to go fee wise to catch up.
Again...not happening either.
I was also told here that Verizon and AT&T would never offer unlimited data again. That was just for the little guys T Mobile and Sprint.

Then something happened. T Mobile changed the game offered actual competition and the rest is history. Sure T Mobile still needs some work but we are all better off because of them.

Something in the cable or satellite business needs to change. It can happen.

Reactions: primestar31
Maybe you haven't watched lately? Last time I tried to watch a Masterpiece they inserted commercials. Maybe they stopped?

Good point. Tonight I watched CW, my20, Bounce, & Grit. All OTA broadcast locally.

I was actually going to start a thread on this tonight. PBS is a big sticking point in my house for switching to OTT. The Mrs watches the Masterpiece Classic shows like Downton Abbey & Poldark. I was having throuble finding solid info online. These shows are made available on their free site/app for a window, correct?

PBS is one of the main reasons I'm interested in FTA sat. No solid PBS OTA at my house unfortunately.

Edit/Add: Just looked up the 4 shows currently airing under PBS Masterpiece Classic & the current season does look available for each of the 4. Does anyone know how quick they post them?

Also, their News Hour has a dedicated YouTube channel.

I think if you sign up/donate to Pbs you get more content. Amazon has a lot of Masterpiece shows including Dowton and Poldark. It's $9 a month.

Last edited:

They also have to negotiate with the Nfl since they get half all broadcast fees. Even if they make a deal it doesn't mean it will stay. Look at Direc tv they dropped a lot of locals for some time this year.

I had a current PS Vue sub on another board confirm Houston was live locals (ABC, Fox, NBC) previously not VOD, even with the Slim name I was seeing online for $35. This also matched an article on live markets I read. Odd. The $10 price hike to $45 and removing the Slim name gave this market nothing new. Still think $45 is a solid deal.

It looks like YouTube TV is actually going to become a player as well with live locals, including CW. Something to keep an eye on. Seems no Turner channels at the moment. Again, the competition is good for us all. We now have multiple options which historically cultivates innovation and price drops in any industry.

Dish & Fox had that feud a year or so ago as well.

Can confirm the PBS Masterpiece Classic shows that aired last night were made available this morning for 2 weeks. There was an ad at the beginning. I skimmed through, saw no other ads. Mileage may vary when actually watching the full hour. I didn't see any when watching the PBS News Hour but may be news specific.

Edit/Add:
Can you guys confirm Vue credentials work on individual apps/sites such as FX, ESPN, etc? Ran into any that don't accept Vue credentials?

I had a current PS Vue sub on another board confirm Houston was live locals (ABC, Fox, NBC) previously not VOD, even with the Slim name I was seeing online for $35. This also matched an article on live markets I read. Odd. The $10 price hike to $45 and removing the Slim name gave this market nothing new. Still think $45 is a solid deal.

It looks like YouTube TV is actually going to become a player as well with live locals, including CW. Something to keep an eye on. Seems no Turner channels at the moment. Again, the competition is good for us all. We now have multiple options which historically cultivates innovation and price drops in any industry.

Dish & Fox had that feud a year or so ago as well.

Can confirm the PBS Masterpiece Classic shows that aired last night were made available this morning for 2 weeks. There was an ad at the beginning. I skimmed through, saw no other ads. Mileage may vary when actually watching the full hour. I didn't see any when watching the PBS News Hour but may be news specific.

Edit/Add:
Can you guys confirm Vue credentials work on individual apps/sites such as FX, ESPN, etc? Ran into any that don't accept Vue credentials?[/QU]

Here is the list, don't think there are any missing

Can I use my PlayStation™Vue account to authenticate with "TV Everywhere" applications?
Absolutely. Over 50 of our network partners have applications or websites through which you can watch live TV and on demand programming. While these apps and sites are completely separate from PlayStation™Vue, they can be used at no additional cost with your PlayStation™Vue subscription.

To authenticate and gain access, you will need a subscription to a PlayStation™Vue package that includes the channel whose content you are looking to access.

You can access the below list of apps or websites with your PlayStation™Network credentials. When you download each app, simply look for the PlayStation™Vue logo or drop down option on the app’s log-in screen. Once at the log-in screen, type in your credentials and you’re in. Most apps can be downloaded from Google Play and the iTunes store.

• Adult Swim
  • ABC
  • AMC (AMC Something More)
  • American Heroes Channel (AHC GO)
  • Animal Planet (Animal Planet GO)
  • BBC America
  • Bravo (Bravo Now)
  • Big Ten Network (BTN2GO)
  • Cartoon Network App
  • Cine Sony
  • CNBC (CNBC.com)
  • CNN
  • Cooking Channel (Watch Cooking Channel)
  • Destination America (Destination America GO)
  • Discovery (Discovery GO)
  • Discovery Life (Discovery Life GO)
  • Disney Channel
  • Disney Junior
  • Disney XD
  • DIY (Watch DIY)
  • E! (E! Now)
  • WatchESPN (includes ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNews, ESPNU, SEC Network, SEC Network +, ESPN Bases Loaded, and ESPN Goal Line)
  • Food Network (Watch Food Network)
  • Fox (FOX NOW)
  • FOX Business
  • Fox News
  • FOX Sports (FOX Sports GO; includes FS1, FS2, FOX College Sports, FOX Sports Deportes, FOX Soccer Plus, FOX Sports Arizona, FOX Sports Detroit, FOX Sports Florida, FOX Sports Midwest, FOX Sports North, FOX Sports Prime Ticket, FOX Sports South, FOX Sports Southeast, FOX Sports Southwest, FOX Sports Southwest Plus, FOX Sports West, Sun Sports, and Yes Network)
  • Freeform
  • FUSION (FUSION TV)
  • FX Now (includes FX, FXX, FXM)
  • Golf Channel (Golf Live Extra)
  • HBO (HBO NOW)
  • HGTV (Watch HGTV)
  • HLN (via the CNN app)
  • IFC (IFC Always Slightly Off)
  • Investigation Discovery (Investigation Discovery GO)
  • MLB Network (MLB.com At Bat)
  • MSNBC
  • Nat Geo TV
  • NBC
  • NBC News
  • NBC Sports Network (NBC Sports)
  • NBC UNIVERSO (UNIVERSO NOW)
  • NCAA March Madness Live (includes CBS, TBS, TNT, and TruTV)
  • NFL Network (Watch NFL Network and NFL Mobile)
  • OWN (Watch OWN)
  • Oxygen (Oxygen Now)
  • Science Channel (Science Channel GO)
  • SHOWTIME (SHOWTIME ANYTIME)
  • Sony Movie Channel
  • Sprout (Sprout Now)
  • Sundance (Sundance TV)
  • Syfy (SyFy Now)
  • TBS (WATCH TBS)
  • Telemundo (Telemundo Now)
  • TLC (TLC GO)
  • TNT (WATCH TNT)
  • Travel Channel (Watch Travel Channel)
  • truTV (Watch truTV)
  • Turner Classic Movies (Watch Turner Classic Movies)
  • USA (USA NOW)
  • Velocity (Velocity GO)
  • WE (WE tv)
* Sony Entertainment Network

Reactions: Jagosaurus
Maybe you haven't watched lately? Last time I tried to watch a Masterpiece they inserted commercials. Maybe they stopped?

I watched season 4 of Sherlock earlier this year, and a couple American Experience docs on the PBS app. I don't pay for a PBS Passport though I have created and log in to a personal account with my local PBS. The only "commercials" I saw were the sponsored by notices and station promos before the episode started. I was actually able to watch before it aired live in my time zone.

Reactions: osu1991
I miss streaming. Since my move, and having Cox for internet and this cap, I feel like there is just no way.

Also this is the first time in 10 years I've had Cable TV.

It's horrible. The PQ is so bad. Can't get a dish here, so it's this, or stream with a cap!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts