plead for help locating a dead DSR920 for parts

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2010
Northern Ontario, Canada
My electronics repair guy has confirmed some parts on the board of my "new to me" 920 are fried after the VCII board battery exploded and took out some parts. He can repair if we find some parts.

So, I'm wondering if all the fine contacts here might be able to locate me a dead 920. One that has had the battery fail would really help me, but anything dead would be a good candidate for parts.
Any help would be much appreciated and I'm more than happy to accept PM's.

Last edited:
My electronics repair guy has confirmed some parts on the board of my "new to me" 920 are fried after the VCII board battery exploded and took out some parts. He can repair if we find some parts.

So, I'm wondering if all the fine contacts here might be able to locate me a dead 920. One that has had the battery fail would really help me, but anything dead would be a good candidate for parts.

After shipping costs (probably 20-30.00) and the cost of the dead unit and repair costs.. it may just be worth your while to go buy a used working 920 or 922 on ebay (there's 1 "as is" unit with a bid of 1.00 so far) unless you find someone in your neighborhood on here. eBay - General Instrument DSR 920 4DTV receiver W Descrambler, Similar items search

Well, I would hope someone who has a completely useless 920 kicking around wouldn't be looking to get rich to help a fellow c-bander out out :) And my repair person is free(well, perhaps paid in beer). So I don't stand to lose much with this other than the price of shipping. I'm actually quite surprised that people are on EBay selling the dead receivers and still looking for upward of $50-60 dollars for them. I guess anything has a price to some people.

I'm actually quite surprised that people are on EBay selling the dead receivers and still looking for upward of $50-60 dollars for them.

I don't think they're dead ones, the 1.00 bid one stresses being sold "as is" so that one could possibly be dead :)

Ya, I saw 1 or 2 on Ebay the other day listed as for parts, but they're not there anymore. Seeing people duke it out at the last 1 minute and then the price it ends up jumping to usually ends up being too much for these receivers. Might be worth a try.

I have three dead 920's. Two of them have dead batteries and was keeping for parts to fix the third. The third went bad a couple of years after I had replaced the battery. I would be willing to send one with dead battery if you pay the shipping from NE Texas and do whatever paperwork is necessary to ship from U.S. to Canada.

jaray, do you happen to know what parts are needed? ie: Power Supply? I've got some 'old' larger style Starchoice receivers here that may have some of the same parts in them. It all depends on what parts you need.

I had an old model 920 receiver, but I sent it off to electronic recycling a few months back.. (Sorry!)

Ya, I saw 1 or 2 on Ebay the other day listed as for parts, but they're not there anymore. Seeing people duke it out at the last 1 minute and then the price it ends up jumping to usually ends up being too much for these receivers. Might be worth a try.

I just got a power supply from a member in Canada..if you send me an email to the following I'll give you his email address. He may still have the board as the battery when bad on him. sergei@fmtcs.com

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts