Please add Significantly Viewed Stations Now

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
neither...state government got involved and passed a resolution/law/whatever that those 2 counties get Vermont locals (Big 4) IN ADDITION to the locals they are qualified for

For WMUR in NH the government did get involved. From a Dish 2006 Press release:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Aug 16, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH) and its DISH
NetworkTM satellite TV service announced today it now broadcasts WMUR-TV, the ABC affiliate in Manchester, to the entire
state of New Hampshire. Residents who subscribe to DISH Network and choose to receive their local channels via satellite can
now view their local New Hampshire station in their programming line-up.
DISH Network's ability to offer WMUR to all New Hampshire residents is the result of efforts by New Hampshire Sens. John
Sununu and Judd Gregg and Reps. Charlie Bass and Jeb Bradley.

I was told just last week that the change needed was still YEARS away.

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Has there been any recent updates to Dish getting significantly viewed channels. Was never an issue for me before, but I recently moved to lower kent county, Delaware and my Dish locals are now out of Philly, even tho the Salisbury, MD DMA provides all the local news for my area. Just curious....

I dont understand why the two cable companies in my town can carry WTTV channel 4 out of Indianapolis which is considered a sv viewed channel in my DMA, but Dish CANT PROVIDE THIS CHANNEL!! I would rather have the CW channel from Indy then the one from new york. Makes no sense!!!

I dont understand why the two cable companies in my town can carry WTTV channel 4 out of Indianapolis which is considered a sv viewed channel in my DMA, but Dish CANT PROVIDE THIS CHANNEL!! I would rather have the CW channel from Indy then the one from new york. Makes no sense!!!

Dish cannot provide any station outside of your market unless you are a short market (missing one of the Big 4) and then Dish can add it (But again...only the Big 4). The WPIX as your CW was exempt from the rule (as Dish can offer that to most customers)

cable has different rules than satellite does

Rather unfair rules I might add.

well Dish did bite the hand that feeds it back in 06 when they were giving distants to folks who shouldn't have. The rule was (and still really is) if locals are available you cant have distants and locals. Yet dish was still "legally" as they put it qualified folks. Heck I was one. Lakehouse (at the time) was outside of Grade B for all nets but CBS. So I had 2 distant ABC's, NBC's and Fox along with my locals (Minneapolis).

When they (dish) went to court they lost so for almost 5 years they couldnt give you ANY station outside of your market. So all those short markets either had missing locals or were never launched. Dish finally made an agreement with the FCC to get that ban lifted on the grounds they launched all remaining markets in SD. As part of that rule they can only add missing networks to the short markets (and Big 4). There are a couple exceptions like WMUR in NH (they can offer it to all NH subs regardless of market...that is a law actually) but they are rare.

cables rules were from the 60's where "if you can pick it up you can carry it"

Those are the unfair rules I was referring to, which have nothing to do with distants, which even a cable company couldn't pick up. Can either Dish or DTV do what the cable companies can? Like add significantly viewed stations? I think you already said, "No" above. It's just not fair.

Directv can add significantly viewed stations but they do it in very extreme cases. My "address" has SV stations.
The county I am in (Nicollet County, MN) is in the Minneapolis DMA even though its 75 miles away.
Across the river is Blue Earth County which is in the Mankato DMA. They are a 1 station (CBS main/Fox subchannel) market. They get ABC & NBC from Minneapolis. To convolute it even more the studio for said station is actually in Nicollet County. So I get those stations too.

Dish due to the whole court case from 06 can only import a station if you are missing one or more of the Big 4. So Dish subs in the same area get the same as Blue Earth County (4 stations) even though the county is in the Mpls DMA.

I live in the Philly DMA area.

Over the past couple of months I've noticed that some of the cable TV companies in my area have been dropping some of the duplicate big 4 networks they were providing from New York and Wilkes-Barre Scranton. I assume that was at the request of the Philly stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)