Please add Significantly Viewed Stations Now

Hopefully I get my last local tomorrow!! Maybe we will get HD SOON too!!

Will it be carried on Cable and satellite?

Yes, it will be carried by DISH, [beginning May 18, 2011, on Channel 17, in Standard Definition] Direct TV, and Mediacom cable and other cable companies in South Georgia. Check with your provider for the exact channel number.
Dish may not have the High Definition signal uplinked until next year.

If you can receive WALB with an antenna, you can receive the new ABC channel.

We seem to be missing some key information here. Something does not add up. If it is legal to carry SV in Vermont, it should be legal to carry it in other states. Maybe DISH does not have the contracts in place for other states, but that is different from being illegal. Maybe Vermont got special treatment because of their Senator, but that is also different from being illegal. Scott, if you can get further information it would be helpful.

whywould it require more bandwidth again?

I was trying to contradict that statement, but in theory if a spotbeam did not adequately cover an adjacent DMA, it might have to be added to another spotbeam. But that should be rare, and they might just choose not to carry that SV channel.

What is the case in Vermont? Fill-ins for short markets or significantly viewed?

neither...state government got involved and passed a resolution/law/whatever that those 2 counties get Vermont locals (Big 4) IN ADDITION to the locals they are qualified for

it is a grey area that Dish was allowed to add only networks that were missing from a market. Technically in most cases it was a "SV" channel added

and this is how they claim100% locals, they may put in 1 distant channel to an area, even if its not available ota, just to claim they have local coverage for that dma

and this is how they claim100% locals, they may put in 1 distant channel to an area, even if its not available ota, just to claim they have local coverage for that dma

You must be talking about Salisbury, MD ;)
The only DMA that has an out of market NBC, local PBS and thats it....because the other stations all have issues with Dish (yet they're all on Directv) ;)

The only DMA that has an out of market NBC, local PBS and thats it....because the other stations all have issues with Dish (yet they're all on Directv) ;)

thats the one
funny thing is that in parts of it they give you sv
21632 - federalsburg is dead center of the dma but gets baltimore locals

according to maps I see it is in the Baltimore DMA

Federalsburg is in the corner of Caroline County (per wiki). That county is in the Baltimore DMA per Nielsen
maryland.gif

Here in the case of NH WMUR is the only network affiliate for the whole state.

according to maps I see it is in the Baltimore DMA

Federalsburg is in the corner of Caroline County (per wiki). That county is in the Baltimore DMA per Nielsen
maryland.gif

now thats funny
the wmdt tower is in sharptown md, @ 25 miles from there

how do they figure those maps out?
queene annes, talbot, and caroline should be in salsibury, not baltimore

Reading through threads last year (when this started) Dish had very strict rules on what they could provide out of market. It was fill in networks. But then there were some areas where it took longer due to what missing station they'd carry. It goes back to the "in this part of the market ABC is provided by neighboring market A but in the other part it was provided by neighboring market B" issue and got touchy.

There are some areas that the fill ins make no sense. One good example is Glendive, MT. They have CBS & NBC only. On cable ABC & Fox are from nearby Billings, MT yet on Dish they get them from Rapid City, SD (????)

now thats funny
the wmdt tower is in sharptown md, @ 25 miles from there

how do they figure those maps out?
queene annes, talbot, and caroline should be in salsibury, not baltimore

Nielsen is the one who decides what county is in what DMA. I've seen counties on the edge change year by year. Good example is the county where our lake house is (Aitkin County, MN). We're about 75 miles from Duluth, MN and 125 from Minneapolis yet we're in the Minneapolis DMA.
Great examples on "what the f--" are the UP of Michigan. The whole UP is one market except for the most western county. Its apparently the Duluth DMA even though no signals reach it (not even in analog)..also Wisconsin is in the middle of it ;)

Wyoming is the best...hell its easier to show it (the confusion)
wyoming.gif

Well it could be a separate issue. But I did'nt think so.

Significantly viewed is adding other stations from adjoining markets such that you may end up with more than one affiliate of the same network available like one finds on cable systems. Fill-ins are adding a network affiliate to a market which lacks one. That's a big difference. Why cablecos can do this legally and not DBS companies, I don't know. DBS providers may lack the transponder capacity to do so in most markets in any event.

Nielsen is the one who decides what county is in what DMA. I've seen counties on the edge change year by year. Good example is the county where our lake house is (Aitkin County, MN). We're about 75 miles from Duluth, MN and 125 from Minneapolis yet we're in the Minneapolis DMA.
Great examples on "what the f--" are the UP of Michigan. The whole UP is one market except for the most western county. Its apparently the Duluth DMA even though no signals reach it (not even in analog)..also Wisconsin is in the middle of it ;)

Wyoming is the best...hell its easier to show it (the confusion)

neilsen needs to get a grip
you should not be in a dma if you cant get the signals ota

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)