Please don't shoot...just asking for opinions and...

hillsmi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 4, 2006
Michigan
This is for installers (both E* and subs alike). I DO NOT want to start a bashing thread. I would just like to know the OPINIONS and EXPERIENCE of what you do and what you have seen with installations as it relates to system grounding.

In regards to system grounding, I have some questions...

1. How likely is it that a dish will be hit by an electrical surge, and thus transfer that energy to the receiver and render it inoperable?

2. The LNB is plastic, as is the Y or W adapter, so if the LNB were hit, wouldn't be where the hit would stop? I know that a lightening bolt, if it hit the dish / LNB directly, would probably blow it off the roof, side of the house, etc., and it would have to be replaced, and thus, would more than likely be the least of your worries.

I'm thinking that a grounding block is not going to arrest such a violent source of electrical energy.

3. If the dish were hit, and the LNB is plastic, how would the energy be transfered to the electronics?

4. I know that it is a requirement for a system to be grounded, but...

a. How many installers actually do what they are supposed to do and ground EACH AND EVERY SYSTEM, especially since most subs probably are paying for all of their own supplies and equipment?, and may not get reimbursed by your retailer.

b. What percentage of systems do you ground?

c. What is your criteria / rationale for NOT grounding a system if you don't?

5. Isn't it most likely for a system to be hit with a surge through the phone line, rather than the coax? or the power cord (being that it has it's own grounding terminal)?

I've read about static buildup, and this is more likely the reason why the system is to be grounded, rather than lightening as the rationale. Is the static buildup really that intense?

6. What percentage of receivers, that you've had to replace, if any, would you say are a result of 'failure to ground'?

7. If you are a sub, what does your retailer say about this issue? Are you penalized in any way for 'failure to ground'?

What other regarding this subject can you shed light on? Is it REALLY that CRITICAL?

It is not always that the dish is the highest point of the structure. Sometimes they are in the ground on a pole, the side of the house, low on the roof, etc.

PLEASE, don't bash me or each other. I just have some questions and would like to know what you think / do, etc.

Thanks.

Simple answers to all the above, if you do an install and do not properly ground the customers install per code, and if something happens to that customer or customers house because you didn't ground it properly then that customer will own you and everything you own probably for the rest of your life. :)

In other words do it correctly or don't do it at all. :D

Just to add to what Scott already posted. It really doesn't matter if the proper grounding is going to stop or prevent an electrical surge. The point is, it's required. And most home-owners insurances will go after the installer and/or installation company if they find it wasn't properly grounded. Regardless if the lack of grounding was the cause.

Bottom line...we ground...because it's part of the job requirements.

One important point. Although the LNB and mount is plastic, there is a hard wire(cable) going directly from the LNB possibly through a switch to the receiver. Grounding can at times stop a lighting hit. It happened at my brothers house. The cables were melted to the grounding block and it stopped there - No equipment damage - just from the ground block to the LNB. This is not always the case, lightning can come through a window and fry your house or travel through out through electrical, but if you do not ground you do not have a chance to stop a minor hit.

I could have sworn that the LNB's are not plastic. It's just a plastic cover that snaps on over the metal LNB.

As far as grounding goes. The first thing the insurance company is going to look for is a way to keep from paying. If it's not done (or done incorrectly) it's the installers neck on the line.

That being said, our tech's I don't think know what grounding is. :)

Cory, a few things you should know

1-Never put your email address on the internet, the spam bots will eat you alive

2-NEVER NEVER NEVER post negative things about your company on the internet

3-I hope you or your company(it is very obvious who you work for with that user name & e-mail address) have not had any problems because you just gave the insurance companies all the info they need.

Please change your sig, delete your post, & if you need me to PM me & I'll also delete mine.

Jordan

Last edited:
I have seen more systems that are grounded hit more than ungrounded ones. However we got to ground to cover our ass.

is grounding going to save a dish or your system if it gets a direct hit.... no way. There is way more energy travelling down that little bitty ground wire than it is going to take.
The biggest reason for grounding (in my opinion) is static discharge. With wind whipping over the dish and lnb all the time static can build up on the line, and if static builds up too much, it can cause the receiver to lock up, ect.
Thats why one of the first things you do when trouble shooting a system that is acting funny, locking up ect... is to unplug the receiver for a few minutes and let it discharge, then plug it back in.

Also, as an installer I grounded whenever possible when doing Dish and Directv, sometimes it's just not possible...
With Wildblue... if it can't be grounded... it doesn't get installed

this is just my opinion

E* requires all of it's employees to ground each and every install without exception. E* knows that apartment installs almost never have acceptable grounding locations and that apartments are a large part of it's market. So E* sends all appartment installs to subcontractors then they never QC those appartment installs.

I've never had a system fail to operate due to lack of a ground. I HAVE had several systems fail to operate BECAUSE it was properly grounded (most likely due to a faulty main electrical ground... with residual current, etc).

Grounding has little or nothing to do IMHO with how well your system operates. It entirely a liability issue. Some say grounding INCREASES lightning strikes... but the guy who writes the checks says GROUND THE SYSTEM. So we GROUND it.

that is correct, DNS tech's are REQUIRED to ground no matter what. which is kinda odd at times because some places i've been to have nowhere to ground to. but i make do and do what i can. grounding has no effect on how the system performs just as "safety" precaution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts