PLEASE GO BACK TO SD

Dish has switched to the digital feed of channel 3 WWMT in Grand Rapids Mi.

The digital transmission of channel 3 is terrible. There are constant breakups and pixilation. They need to switch back to the SD analog feed from WWMT until they goto full power or channel 3 switches from transmitting at channel 2.1

Does anyone know when CBS in Grand Rapids will be coming in HD....
Football season is almost over!
I bet we will get it the day after the Super Bowl...That is how my luck is..

I believe this is what is happening with PBS 12 in Philadelphia. Starting about a week or 2 ago, whenever I watch channel 12 on my 625 it is completely surrounded by a black box, like when I watch SD on my 211. I figured it is because they are transmitting their digital signal. It's very unfortunate because I cannot stretch the picture on my 625 to fill the screen, and some of the programming is in letterbox which further shrinks the picture.

My area PBS station doesn't yet offer their SD feed in digital. I suspect that if you're seeing letterboxing or worse, that may be what's happening.

The CW station in Phoenix is the same way. At some point, I posted a still frame from an ad for Speed Racer...it was a 2.35:1 letterbox inside a 4:3 pillarbox inside a 16:9 letterbox inside another 4:3 pillarbox. Insane.

I wish it was just is size problem I am dealing with.

Channel 3 has a terrible Digital transmition. Even when I get it with my OTA antenna it constantly breaks up and pixilates. So now what was the only way to watch channel 3 with no break up's is gone.

Technically you should be saying "Dish please go back to analog". It has nothing to do with SD vs HD.

Does anyone know when CBS in Grand Rapids will be coming in HD....
Football season is almost over!
I bet we will get it the day after the Super Bowl...That is how my luck is..
Not sure exactly what you are looking for, so I will mention both. As for OTA, it is available, but very limited (I live less than 10 miles from the tower and it is hit or miss). It should have a better signal strength (they will be increasing the wattage they are broadcasting at) as we get closer to Feb. 19th.

As for HD on Dish, most locals are on 61.5, but CBS is missing and I have not heard back from WWMT on this (and don't know who to contact directly for an answer at Dish or WWMT).

Geoff

Dish please go back to the SD transmition of WWMT ch3 in Grand Rapids Michigan.

The costant breakups of the digital transmition is terrible.

You are not alone in experiencing WWMT picture breakups;

Grand Rapids, MI - HDTV - Page 106 - AVS Forum

It is my understanding from talking to their chief engineer that after 2-17-09 they will be raising their power output significantly and switch to transmitting from channel 2 to channel 8. Hopefully this should take care of the dropouts they are having. The FCC has restricted their power output so they cannot interfere with WJBK in Detroit which is currently transmitting on channel 2.

You may want to consider an external antenna. This will give you one additional tuner with which to record programming. You would be able to record up to three programs simultaneously and watch a fourth.

I have no problems with dropouts using my external antennas.

I wish it was just is size problem I am dealing with.

Channel 3 has a terrible Digital transmition. Even when I get it with my OTA antenna it constantly breaks up and pixilates. So now what was the only way to watch channel 3 with no break up's is gone.

The best hope for a better LiL signal from Dish is for them to get a fiber connection. I understand some locals are just picked off the air. Channels 2-6 are particularly troublesome for digital TV, with the lower numbers having the most problems.

Most of the world has dropped VHF entirely for DTV.

But just because they are channel numbers 2-6 doesn't mean that they are VHF. I receive a UHF channel 2.1 from Atlanta that has excellent reception.

2-6 shouldn't have been used for DTV, they weren't good enough for analog either. Maybe if they were allowed significantly more power they would be better.

My question is whether or not Dish is prepared to "zoom" these images for broadcast to the consumer? Right now if what I'm seeing on my PBS station is going to be the norm (Completely pillar boxed) once February rolls around, than I can see a lot of people being upset.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts