Please help before my 622 Install

theodore_miller

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
I live in Michigan 48324. My 622 will be here tomorrow. I do not have an OTA antenna and know nothing about them. I am learning form the board so I guess I know a bit. Can someone help me? Below are the main locals here. I don't know when Dish will have my locals in HD so In the meantime I guess I need an antenna.

OH.. My DLP has a built in HD tuner.

* yellow - uhf WWJ-DT 62.1 CBS DETROIT MI 138° 15.5 44
yellow - uhf WTVS 56 PBS DETROIT MI 157° 9.0 56
* yellow - uhf WTVS-DT 56.1 PBS DETROIT MI 138° 15.5 43
* yellow - uhf WXYZ-DT 7.1 ABC DETROIT MI 146° 11.6 41
yellow - uhf WKBD 50 UPN DETROIT MI 157° 9.0 50
* yellow - uhf WKBD-DT 50.1 UPN DETROIT MI 157° 9.0 14
* yellow - uhf WDWB-DT 20.1 WB DETROIT MI 138° 15.5 21
* yellow - uhf WJBK-DT 2.1 FOX DETROIT MI 141° 13.3 58
* yellow - uhf WDIV-DT 4.1 NBC DETROIT MI 135° 12.6 45

My installer for Dish said he will install an antenna for me. I want something kinda on the smaller side for the roof. Can you give me a few options?

Also, how do I set this up on my new 622 so I can switch from Dish programming to my antenna? I assume the installer will run the cable to the box for me.

Thanks much!

Personally, I always prefer an outdoor antenna over an indoor one....however, my parents are in West Bloomfield and I had no problem receiving the local broadcast digitals (HD) using a simple, inexpensive Radio Shack indoor bow-tie antenna.

If you wish to permanently mount an outdoor antenna, I would go with a Channel Master 4221 since your digital locals are in the same general direction and all are UHF. Having said that, the FCC has mandated that broadcasters turn-off their analog stations in early 2009 and return these radio frequencies back to the FCC for auction. Some of the stations have elected to operate on their old VHF frequency (i.e. channels 2, 4, 7, etc.). If so, you would need a good VHF/UHF antenna like the Winegard Squareshooter. Offhand, I'm not sure what the Detroit areA broadcasters have planned (keep UHF or revert back to VHF).

Anyway, your antenna issue may be moot since Dish Network is supposed to roll-out Detroit HD locals (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) sometime this year (no specific date). So far, the general consensus is that MPEG4 HD LIL looks pretty good in the markets they have deployed. They may not look as pristine as the signals we receive over-the-air, but I'm pretty sure they will still look very good.

I would recommend purchasing a good indoor antenna and see what happens before making any decision to install a rooftop antenna....odds are pretty good you may not need one for very long. Plus, you can always return the antenna for a full refund.

I just wanted to add that E* has already rolled out HD LIL in 12 DMAs: #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 9, 15, 18, 30, 36, 46. I don't image the Detroit DMA (#11) will be too far away. However, Charlie may elect to punish Detroit for being DirecTVs HD LIL test bed last October.

I will keep my big antenna on my roof, so that I can continue to use an OTA channels as a third tuner, so that I can record two programs from the satellite and watch a third or record 3 and watch a recorded program

Riff thanks. I am in West Bloomfield at Commerce and Green lake RD. Shortly after I sent this post, I bought the Shooter 1000 for 89.00 and It should be here tomorrow. My installer said he will throw it up when he changes my dish for the 622. I just cant wait for HD anylonger. I have had my DLP for months and no HD on it yet. I did try like 5 indoor OTA's but they all blew! So if the locals get here soon I can sell the 1000 for the same price I bought I am sure.

Thanks much for the reply.

Do you know how I would hook up the Coax for the OTA or does the 622 have a OTA coax input?

Theodore, how was your installation? My 622 arrived today...it took 5 minutes to set it in place, 20 minutes to download software and guide, and another 5 minutes to have the receiver activated. Viola! Everything is working as advertised so far. Even the HD LIL via satellite looks pretty good, but the 622 is connected to 30" bedroom set at moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts