Please Help. DishTV Questions!

dr0doom

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Hello, I've been a long-time cable TV user, and recently got a new large HDTV
digital television set with built-in HD Receiver. It really shows off how poor the
picture quality is on basic analog cable. I was thinking of getting Dish TV with
the 322 receiver, and have a 2nd TV in the basement, and ditching cable. I have
a few questions about this for those who can help.
1) I live within a fairly large city, and want to get my HD programming OTA only. I
do qualify for the local package according to DTV. I can currently get 6 out of 8
local digital channels using a small indoor antenna, but I also want the other 2
channels. If I get DTV with the local package, I assume they put up an outdoor
VHF/UHF decent antenna for all local stuff. (I've seen a few of these setups in
my neighborhood, and the VHF/UHF antenna is fairly large, and mounts right next
to the dish). Can I tap off of that VHF/UHF antenna feed somewhere on the back of the 322 reciever to feed directly into my TV set for the HD Programming?
2) For my 2nd TV, from what I've gathered, it is a wireless A/V feed from the 322
to the 2nd TV, and uses a UHF antenna link for the remote. My question is, can I
simultaneously use the composite out jacks for the 2nd TV on the 322 to connect
to my DVR, and also feed the wireless signal to the 2nd TV without having to
switch any cables around? I want to record 1 satellite channel, while
watching another on the primary TV (2nd TV off).
3) Does anyone use one of those Phone jack extenders which plug into the
house's AC outlets? I know those limit the dial-up computer connection to about
28K or so, and can get a little noisy. Thanks in advance for any help.

dr0doom said:
Hello, I've been a long-time cable TV user, and recently got a new large HDTV
digital television set with built-in HD Receiver. It really shows off how poor the
picture quality is on basic analog cable. I was thinking of getting Dish TV with
the 322 receiver, and have a 2nd TV in the basement, and ditching cable. I have
a few questions about this for those who can help.
1) I live within a fairly large city, and want to get my HD programming OTA only. I
do qualify for the local package according to DTV. I can currently get 6 out of 8
local digital channels using a small indoor antenna, but I also want the other 2
channels. If I get DTV with the local package, I assume they put up an outdoor
VHF/UHF decent antenna for all local stuff. (I've seen a few of these setups in
my neighborhood, and the VHF/UHF antenna is fairly large, and mounts right next
to the dish). Can I tap off of that VHF/UHF antenna feed somewhere on the back of the 322 reciever to feed directly into my TV set for the HD Programming?
2) For my 2nd TV, from what I've gathered, it is a wireless A/V feed from the 322
to the 2nd TV, and uses a UHF antenna link for the remote. My question is, can I
simultaneously use the composite out jacks for the 2nd TV on the 322 to connect
to my DVR, and also feed the wireless signal to the 2nd TV without having to
switch any cables around? I want to record 1 satellite channel, while
watching another on the primary TV (2nd TV off).
3) Does anyone use one of those Phone jack extenders which plug into the
house's AC outlets? I know those limit the dial-up computer connection to about
28K or so, and can get a little noisy. Thanks in advance for any help.

The 322 won't work to pass the local HD from the off-air antenna through. It's an analog tuner only, and a pointless hook-up to an HDTV. It will look the same if not worse than your basic analog cable. You need a 211 or 622 HD receiver. They'll be able to pick up the locals on the digital tuner in the box and add them to your on-screen guide. If you already have a DVR and it sounds like you do, then a 211 HD receiver would work but only has one tuner, otherwise you need the new dual tuner 622 HD DVR which you're going to have to shell out money for. I also wouldn't bank on the installer putting up your outdoor antenna unless he is willing to do it as a favor to you (and has the time) and knows what he's doing. (That's a crapshoot there.)

The wireless phone jacks (Phonex) work real well, I just recommend plugging it into the wall and not a power strip/surge protector. It will work intermittently when hooked to the strip. I guess the extra electrical wiring in the strip confuses the phonex device. You can still send the phone line through the surge strip if you wish, just plug the phonex unit into the wall itself.

Good luck.

For certain, the 322 output to TV2 is NOT wireless.

I suggest you find a good local retailer to chat with, or read a LOT of threads here.

I understand the remote contol link for the 322 is wireless via UHF antenna
system. So, how does the 2nd TV get the Audio/video from the 2nd tuner
on the 322 in another room?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)