Please help - fine tuning issue

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ehamilton

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
I would appreciate your help. My buddy and I self-installed my 5 LNB slimline to go with my HR20-700. When installing we used the signal meter on the receiver for Satellite 101 to get a reading of 95% on both tuners. We locked in the dish "stupidly" not thinking to check the other satellite signals. When completing set-up, it only gave an "OK" or "Failed" when testing. All the satellites checked out okay except 119 which a D* rep said didn't matter since it was only needed to watch spanish stations. Is that true?

My buddy left and last night I noticed that I was not getting some stations in the 70's (high def. channels). Therefore, I went to the signal meters and got the following readings: Sat 101 - 95%, Sat 110 - 75%, Sat 119 - Not acquired, Sat 99 - 24%, and Sat 103 - 97%. Should I be getting better with 119 and 99?

What do I do? Unfortunately, my dish is on the second story of a two-story home, and I don't have a ladder to go back up there? However, is this what I am going to have to do? And when I get up there, do I need to move the whole dish or just mess with the fine tuning feature? Should this be an easy fix?

Couple other questions:
Would this also cause slow response time in changing channels (since it might be searching for signals)?
Do I need the B-Band converter plugged into the back of the receiver? Could that be an issue?

it sounds like your hd lil is being spotbeamed from sat 103, hence the low reading on sat 99.

the other questions i can't answer.

What does spotbeamed mean?

That theory doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for the reply . . .

I would appreciate your help. My buddy and I self-installed my 5 LNB slimline to go with my HR20-700. When installing we used the signal meter on the receiver for Satellite 101 to get a reading of 95% on both tuners. We locked in the dish "stupidly" not thinking to check the other satellite signals. When completing set-up, it only gave an "OK" or "Failed" when testing. All the satellites checked out okay except 119 which a D* rep said didn't matter since it was only needed to watch spanish stations. Is that true?

My buddy left and last night I noticed that I was not getting some stations in the 70's (high def. channels). Therefore, I went to the signal meters and got the following readings: Sat 101 - 95%, Sat 110 - 75%, Sat 119 - Not acquired, Sat 99 - 24%, and Sat 103 - 97%. Should I be getting better with 119 and 99?

What do I do? Unfortunately, my dish is on the second story of a two-story home, and I don't have a ladder to go back up there? However, is this what I am going to have to do? And when I get up there, do I need to move the whole dish or just mess with the fine tuning feature? Should this be an easy fix?

Couple other questions:
Would this also cause slow response time in changing channels (since it might be searching for signals)?
Do I need the B-Band converter plugged into the back of the receiver? Could that be an issue?

There is a reason that Directv will supply and install a 5 LNB dish for free :eek:
At least follow the instruction sheet which gives a specific procedure and order of adjustment.

The tilt needs to be adjusted to acquire (and peak) 119. It carries some local channels plus the following HD: ESPN2, Discovery HD Theater, HDNet. It also carries some LA and NYC HD signals for those who are eligible for out of market signals.

Spotbeams (all channels on 99 and 103) are narrow beams which only broadcast to a small area of the country (and the same frequency can be used for more than one area).

The B-Band Converter isn't needed now, but will be when Directv 10 is operational (most likely in August or September).

So it obviously sounds like I need to be getting a way better signal at 119? I live in San Diego, should I be getting high than 25% on Sat 99 with the spotbeam.

Thanks for the help . . .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)