Please help - fine tuning issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ehamilton

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
I would appreciate your help. My buddy and I self-installed my 5 LNB slimline to go with my HR20-700. When installing we used the signal meter on the receiver for Satellite 101 to get a reading of 95% on both tuners. We locked in the dish "stupidly" not thinking to check the other satellite signals. When completing set-up, it only gave an "OK" or "Failed" when testing. All the satellites checked out okay except 119 which a D* rep said didn't matter since it was only needed to watch spanish stations. Is that true?

My buddy left and last night I noticed that I was not getting some stations in the 70's (high def. channels). Therefore, I went to the signal meters and got the following readings: Sat 101 - 95%, Sat 110 - 75%, Sat 119 - Not acquired, Sat 99 - 24%, and Sat 103 - 97%. Should I be getting better with 119 and 99?

What do I do? Unfortunately, my dish is on the second story of a two-story home, and I don't have a ladder to go back up there? However, is this what I am going to have to do? And when I get up there, do I need to move the whole dish or just mess with the fine tuning feature? Should this be an easy fix?

Couple other questions:
Would this also cause slow response time in changing channels (since it might be searching for signals)?
Do I need the B-Band converter plugged into the back of the receiver? Could that be an issue?

I would appreciate your help. My buddy and I self-installed my 5 LNB slimline to go with my HR20-700. When installing we used the signal meter on the receiver for Satellite 101 to get a reading of 95% on both tuners. We locked in the dish "stupidly" not thinking to check the other satellite signals. When completing set-up, it only gave an "OK" or "Failed" when testing. All the satellites checked out okay except 119 which a D* rep said didn't matter since it was only needed to watch spanish stations. Is that true?
That depends upon where you are at. The 119 is used in some areas for local programming as well. Regardless of what the CSR said, you should be receiving signal on it.

My buddy left and last night I noticed that I was not getting some stations in the 70's (high def. channels). Therefore, I went to the signal meters and got the following readings: Sat 101 - 95%, Sat 110 - 75%, Sat 119 - Not acquired, Sat 99 - 24%, and Sat 103 - 97%. Should I be getting better with 119 and 99?
See above for the 119 info. As far as the 99 sat goes, it depends upon your location relative to the spotbeams. You might be on the edge of a spotbeam, or you may need to fine tune the dish.

What do I do? Unfortunately, my dish is on the second story of a two-story home, and I don't have a ladder to go back up there? However, is this what I am going to have to do? And when I get up there, do I need to move the whole dish or just mess with the fine tuning feature? Should this be an easy fix?
Yep, you're going to have to go back up there and fine to the dish using the fine tuning bolts. There are some other posts here that offer links to videos on how to do it, or step by step instructions.

Couple other questions:
Would this also cause slow response time in changing channels (since it might be searching for signals)?
Not likely.
Do I need the B-Band converter plugged into the back of the receiver? Could that be an issue?
It's not required yet, but will be when the new sats are operational. If you have them, connect them now so you don't forget when the time comes.

thanks iwc

Thanks, I live in San Diego so should I be getting a spotbeam on sat 99? And it sounds like I should definitely be getting something higher on 119 and that is why I am not getting some channels in the 70's and 80s?

Thanks again . . .

Thanks, I live in San Diego so should I be getting a spotbeam on sat 99? And it sounds like I should definitely be getting something higher on 119 and that is why I am not getting some channels in the 70's and 80s?

Thanks again . . .

I don't know about the 99 and San Diego.

As far as the channels in the 70's & 80's go, most of them come off the 119 sat so if you're not getting a signal on that sat you won't get those channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)