Please help installing my service at a new apartment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wakko

Original poster
May 28, 2011
Baja California
Hello

I have an existing DirecTV service from my old apartment, and they said they can't come out to install at my new place for 2 WEEKS. That's waaaay too long to wait, so I want to install this myself.

I am using a DirecTV H24-100 satellite box. I have one RG-6 coaxial cable running directly from the dish to the box (only one TV in the apartment, no need for multiple lines or splitters). I could not bring my dish from the old apartment, so I bought one on craigslist for $30. It's a Slimline dish with this on a label at the satellite pick-up (at the end of the bar on the dish):

WNC
Single Wire Multiswitch LNBs
Model No: SL3SPIG-WNC Rev 1

Then it has a serial number and a barcode.

I had previously set up several standard definition DirecTV boxes and dishes for my family, but this one seems WAAAY more complicated. Can anyone offer advice on how to properly set up the box so that it knows what dish and pick-up I am using? Also where a good resource is for dish aiming information?

Thanks!

Welcome to the site ....

Is there a Power Insertor and a splitter with your dish you got ?
How many lines can come off the LNB ?

I 'm trying to determine, if it's a SL3 or a SWM SL3.

If its a SWM set up you need the PI and splitter (no splitter in your situation, but you will need the PI)

If it's a SL3, you'll have a potential of 4 lines coming from the dish.

IF it's a SL3, you'll want to run 2 lines in to your recvr/TV if you have a DVR, one line if not.

If your using a SL3 for your situation its an easy set up,(H24) run 1 line from the LNB to a ground block and then to the recvr.

When you set it up, use the Menu's and do the Repeat Sat SetUp

Menu/Set Up/System Set Up/Sat and Antenna/ Repeat Sat Set Up, choose the SL3 and Multiswitch mode.

I'm betting a local dealer would happily trade u your swim for an older "easier" to install dish for you. I know I would!

You are missing some parts for this dish, a splitter and power inserter...

>>Is there a Power Insertor and a splitter with your dish you got ?

no

>>How many lines can come off the LNB ?

The receiver is not a recorder - it watches TV only, not recording it.

>>Is there a Power Insertor and a splitter with your dish you got ?

no

>>How many lines can come off the LNB ?

The receiver is not a recorder - it watches TV only, not recording it.

Ok, so if you only have 1 line coming off the LNB, and it's the newer dish as you said it was by the info you gave us, then it needs the Power Insertor or it won't work properly.
I would contact the person you bought it from or bite the bullet, call it a loss and contact your local installer.

We got a guy who works for DirecTV to come out (found him on craigslist). He added the little power box thingy and got it aimed. $60, well worth it.

:)

Thanks all!

Glad it was grounded per code

He paid $60 to a guy off craigslist, and figure $20 of it covered the missing power inserter.

I wouldn't assume it was grounded, especially being an apartment.

Wakko, it would still be a good idea to have the actual Directv install that you have scheduled two weeks from now to make sure the install is proper, including grounding. Assuming it doesn't cost you anything through movers connection.

I wouldn't assume it was grounded, especially being an apartment.

Wakko, it would still be a good idea to have the actual Directv install that you have scheduled two weeks from now to make sure the install is proper, including grounding. Assuming it doesn't cost you anything through movers connection.

Yea wait your two weeks then when they come to install it, take your dish down before the tech gets there and sell it on Ebay to get your money back. Then request your two weeks credit for not having service at the time.

As far as grounding, most appartments are not grounded due to land lord restrictions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)