Please! Help Needed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think you're doing pretty good. Keep at it. You might want to try looking for Galaxy 17. It's fairly close to your true south plus it has quite a bit of activity on a given evening. Whatever satellite you choose to look for next, I think you'll find this post from Iceberg helpful.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/85225-i-need-strong-transponder-aim-my-dish.html

Is this list still valid since some of those have moved to different locations?

According to Lyngsat, there does not seem to be much to aim for on 91 W that isn't a feed.

Will an FTA box hit a quality reading on a HughesNet transponder? I've not been sucessful in registering any that are listed on Lyngsat on 91.

Hugesnet/Starband/Wildblue are all data transponders.

I use them when aiming for a strong transponder
My coolsat usually will lock them like any other dvb transponder.
I won't get any channels out of them though...

Is this list still valid since some of those have moved to different locations?

According to Lyngsat, there does not seem to be much to aim for on 91 W that isn't a feed.

Will an FTA box hit a quality reading on a HughesNet transponder? I've not been sucessful in registering any that are listed on Lyngsat on 91.

Hey there, yes, that list is valid. I just verified the listed transponder from 91* and it's giving me 71% quality as I type this. It will light up good quality on the Hughesnet transponders. On 91 you can try 11740 V 30000. I just got an 85% lock on that one. If you can't pick up either of these, maybe you need to bump your dish east or west a click or two. Also doublecheck your settings and make sure LNB freq is set to 10750

The list was updated less thqan 2 weeks ago ;)

Last edited by Iceberg; 02-13-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: updated sat names

Thank you

Yes, one inch can make a lot of difference in a linear ku digital channel, circular uses about 10 times the power of the ku-linear sats, hence you can be 'in the ballpark' and find 110 maybe, but hitting 101 takes some skill..
Don't know who sold you that rig for fta but I think I'd consider sending it back. A 1m dish with a regular lnb support and one linear lnbf is really all you need to get started. Sounds like some dealer who catered to customers who had other things in mind.

Just wanted to say thanks turbosat. I moved the lnbf out by putting it in the middle of the multi lnb holder. It helped a little bit but not a lot. Either the dish is too small or the lnb is of poor quality. I just can't get a very good quality signal. I have it the best it will get. But it is working good enough for me to see if it is worth investing in a bigger dish. Yea!

IF ANY NEWBIES READ THIS POST AND ARE CONSIDERING PURCHASING FTA EQUIPMENT, THERE ARE 2 SELLERS ON EBAY SELLING (33 INCH ELLIPTICAL SUPER FTA DISHES WITH 5 LNBF'S.)

DO NOT BUY THESE! YOU WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITH THEM! I DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER! NOW I DO AND SO DO YOU!

Also thanks to the rest of you who offered suggestions and told me to hang in there and keep trying. I appreciate your support!
Hercules1960

Good for you Hercules, glad you learned a little about how this stuff works (sorry it was the hard way-that's the way I usually learn too). Look around for an old primestar dish and aim that, I have sev of them and they work just fine. The lnbs on them are tough, and I haven't got a dish yet with a bad one on it, even though they are 10yrs+ old by now. Once you get a 'right' dish up and aimed, you'll be amazed at how much fun it is, and forget about your luck with ebay!

I just saw this whole thread - I thought of skew right away (when I move lnb in and out
as opposed to slight rotation it just changes effectively antenna position)
when I went from 1 meter to 36" dish for sat. at 123 degrees my signal strength went
down noticeably- 33" only - I'd expect would hurt a lot ( as you experienced)
also those 2 abn channels are 2 of the strongest of any...you should be able to get
like ftv* on 97 degrees with that setup but abc/fox on 123 fluctuate all the time for me -
so doubtful for them.
Yes neighbors have said stuff to me like "I used to steal all my channels too" yeah,
right- turns out these farmers steal water, equipment, phone service, etc. etc. and got
their land w/o paying for it also....:(

*fashion tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)