Please HELP! new to setting up SL3, Cant find 101 satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MCHammer

Original poster
May 25, 2014
North Carolina
First. I have a slimline dish with SL3 4output coax, 2 Broadband converters into a HR24-100 receiver. I have tried using a $10 Sat finder and the dish pointer app which shows the 101,99 &103. I still can't get signal on the 101 on my receiver. What am I missing? I went through and set the receiver to Slimline 3 & Multiswitch for the non swm. Do I need a power inserter, other adapter, HD specific signal finder? Thank you in advance for the help!

No, you don't need any of those. Forget the sat finder, it's a waste of space.
Finding 101 is usually very easy. Align the dish using a compass to the correct bearing. Then move the dish about ten degrees to the left. Slowly move back to the right, watching the sat signal strength screen (the one showing all the 101 transponders). You should see 101 signals appear. If you peak the 101 signals, most transponders should be in the high 90s or even 100. There may be some low or even zero.
Then check the 99 and 103 signals. 99c, 103ca and 103cb should be in the high 80s at least, preferable mid 90s. If they are not, use the fine tune adjustments on the dish in azimuth and elevation until you get that sort of signal level.

:welcome to Satelliteguys MCHammer!

Make sure the elevation and skew is set correctly for your area. Are you using the settings found in the dvr? Then do as texasbrit suggests. Don't worry about the 99s and 103s signals, those are spot beams and may not contain any signals for your region.

Thank you both for the quick reply! I checked the numbers on the dvr and on dish pointer.com and pre set the dish to those numbers. Not sure if it would change the elevation because it is roof mounted? I feel like I have the Azimuth pretty close but the receiver is still showing zeros. Do I need to back out and redo the test once all the transponders are showing zero or with it change the zeros automatically?

It will change automatically, but you have to go slowly to give the receiver time to register any changes. I assume you are using the magnetic and not the true north azimuth numbers. The elevation setting can be tricky. Check this page, it has some good information on it. About half way down is an illustration of the correct way to set the elevation.
http://www.theamericanvoice.com/dish_pointing_help.htm

Yes, people often set the elevation to the wrong marker.

It will change automatically, but you have to go slowly to give the receiver time to register any changes. I assume you are using the magnetic and not the true north azimuth numbers. The elevation setting can be tricky. Check this page, it has some good information on it. About half way down is an illustration of the correct way to set the elevation.
http://www.theamericanvoice.com/dish_pointing_help.htm
Yes, people often set the elevation to the wrong marker.

Sorry for taking so long to reply. At first I just had to take a couple of days to keep my dish from being a yard ornament, then I had several days of thunderstorms. Once I red Chip's suggestion on the link for the elevation, it literally took 10mins to setup once I learn how to correctly set up the elevation. So thank you all very much for the help! I never could have done it without you!

I glad it worked for you! This is what we are here for.

Pleased it worked. When people are having problems getting 101, it's often because they have mis-set the elevation!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts