Please help! Roofers took down my dish!

That or have it mounted to the siding on the south side of your house. If you do a pole mount make sure the pole either goes below the frost line or cement it in place.
South side is hard since that space is for the garage door and the back door as the drive way is in the back of the house and not the front. I've seen people mount it on the east and west sidewalls and just have the DISH pointed south.

There are a lot of pole mounts in my community, and I'm north of HipKat in Iowa. If you mount it on the house, make sure you have a line of sight before they start drilling holes. I now have a pattern of filled in holes in my siding from the first time I had Dish, and two sets from the DirecTV installer trying to find a LOS. BTW, if the original poster would like to add to his collection of dishes, I now have an extra Dish dish and DirecTV dish. ;)

I would not expect the roofers to replace the dish correctly. (The OP did not say he necessarily expected it either) Maybe it would have been better to not replace it at all but if they put it in the same place that's fine. If I wanted something different to happen I would tell the roofers. I also would just plan to have an installer come out and re-aim it and check the system when I had the roof done.
I also wonder who came out to one poster's house and drilled holes before getting a line of sight, an actual installer?

There are a lot of pole mounts in my community, and I'm north of HipKat in Iowa. If you mount it on the house, make sure you have a line of sight before they start drilling holes. I now have a pattern of filled in holes in my siding from the first time I had Dish, and two sets from the DirecTV installer trying to find a LOS. BTW, if the original poster would like to add to his collection of dishes, I now have an extra Dish dish and DirecTV dish. ;)
I also have some extra Directv dishes that I will probably sell for scrap metal if I can't find a good home for them.

I would not expect the roofers to replace the dish correctly. (The OP did not say he necessarily expected it either) Maybe it would have been better to not replace it at all but if they put it in the same place that's fine.
I'm sure their intentions were good and if they possibly marked where it was and they didn't mess with the elevation and azimuth adjustments, it's possible they could get it back right but not guaranteed obviously.

I like it where it is now, on the ground, mounted on a pole, where I can get the snow off easy.
Based on what I see around here with Dish installs (99% likely done by "Digital Dish"), pole-mounted (in the ground) installs are standard procedure. Bad part about this is, if done by the book, they have to temporarily mount the dish on a small section of plywood and set it on the ground, with cement blocks weighing it down. They have to wait for an "811" inspection before digging the hole for the pole-mounting. Then they come back and finish.

DirecTV, at least in our neighborhood, does a lot of mounts on the sides of houses, about 4' off the ground.

Reactions: pattykay
Well based on these responses I'm sure my best bet is to just let the tech come out and deal with it. What's aggravating was that the roofing company didn't tell me which day they would come or I would have called Dish way in advance to avoid a service gap.
Just a minute. You had work done on your home and did not bother to set a firm appointment?
"Its my property and you ( roofer) will not enter my property without my authorization. Are we clear?"...That , which in my world is SOP, would have prevented the issues you are experiencing now.

Based on what I see around here with Dish installs (99% likely done by "Digital Dish"), pole-mounted (in the ground) installs are standard procedure. Bad part about this is, if done by the book, they have to temporarily mount the dish on a small section of plywood and set it on the ground, with cement blocks weighing it down. They have to wait for an "811" inspection before digging the hole for the pole-mounting. Then they come back and finish.

DirecTV, at least in our neighborhood, does a lot of mounts on the sides of houses, about 4' off the ground.
Yeah. That 811 nonsense is more 'litigation protection' put forth by Dish's legal team. Or just another extreme risk averse policy.
Most times a locate of buried utilities is not needed.
Just stay clear of the meter base, phone interface enclosure and the gas meter and its all good.

Many, if not all, states have enacted laws that require a locate before digging. It has nothing to do with Dish's legal team. So, let's say we listen to Dishcomm and dig because it's all BS. When you hit something not only do pay for repairs to whatever you damaged, you also get a hefty fine and possible imprisonment when you kill somebody because of your arrogance.

That’s what they did for me when I got it back in February. Being on a “temporary” mount caused me to need 2 techs to re point the dish and an argument about the fee for the second one to come out. I was able to talk the third one to mount it to my shed. Which caused a debate about the $50 “custom work” done. Even though the original installer said it would be free. Had to go through Executive Escalations to get the fee waived. But at least now it’s been good for a couple months(knock on wood).

I think making an 811 call is the smart/right thing to do. If you start digging in a yard or parkway. OTOH, if I called 811 every time my wife told me to "plant that there" in our flowerbeds, I'd be doing a lot of calling. That's where the pole for our dish is, in one of the flowerbeds. The DirecTV installer put it there without making a call, and the Dish installer just used the same pole. The last time an installer planted a pole for a dish was 28 years ago when the Primestar installer did it. 811 wasn't so much a thing then, along with the fact that we were living in the middle of 25 acres on the second highest ridge in far west St. Louis County in Missouri. Getting anybody to run anything to our location was difficult, so there wasn't much chance you were going to hit anything but rocks if you dug in the ground.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)