Please help! Roofers took down my dish!

In our case, the pole was going in a side flowerbed as well, next to an existing DirecTV pole-mounted dish. All of our utilities (except water) come in underground on the opposite side of the house and the installer even pointed that out, but said "I can get in trouble if I don't".

I'm getting a new roof in the spring. I don't have the home protection plan. The dish will now be mounted to the brick side of my house. I have been with Dish for close to 20 years. Has anyone had a dish moved without a service call fee?

I'm getting a new roof in the spring. I don't have the home protection plan. The dish will now be mounted to the brick side of my house. I have been with Dish for close to 20 years. Has anyone had a dish moved without a service call fee?

I don't know for sure but last I heard the DISH techs weren't equipped to mount to brick. Local full service retailers can mount to brick. :biggrin

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't know for sure but last I heard the DISH techs weren't equipped to mount to brick. Local full service retailers can mount to brick. :biggrin
Of course we can mount to brick. It's the number 1 mount on the mounting hierarchy. Sometimes you come across as anyone that's not a retailer is working with half a toolkit and 1 hand tied behind their backs. It's probably not TOO hard to not have to sell SHS, worry about 12 day TC's, CSATS, OTA, walking on roofs or abiding by many of Dish's other standards....

As far as billing, the overseas CSR's like to take things like this and create trouble calls to override the charges OR they'll get you to take the protection plan for 6 months so they can lower it to 10 bucks.

Of course we can mount to brick. It's the number 1 mount on the mounting hierarchy. Sometimes you come across as anyone that's not a retailer is working with half a toolkit and 1 hand tied behind their backs. It's probably not TOO hard to not have to sell SHS, worry about 12 day TC's, CSATS, OTA, walking on roofs or abiding by many of Dish's other standards....

As far as billing, the overseas CSR's like to take things like this and create trouble calls to override the charges OR they'll get you to take the protection plan for 6 months so they can lower it to 10 bucks.

From seeing and hearing about the RSP's work around here and from most of the reports on this forum your 'half a tool kit' phrase is very appropriate.

Reactions: charlesrshell
From seeing and hearing about the RSP's work around here and from most of the reports on this forum your 'half a tool kit' phrase is very appropriate.
I'll give you that, sometimes it is. I have a folder on my phone full of pics of shoddy work I've followed up on. One thing is that a lot of techs have no desire to learn all the ins and outs nor have enough pride to do a complete and good looking install.

42 switches have been out long enough now and just the other day I got a call from a tech asking me how to install one after he connected the host line to port 2, the client line to port 1 and couldn't figure out why the Joey wouldn't discover

I'll give you that, sometimes it is. I have a folder on my phone full of pics of shoddy work I've followed up on. One thing is that a lot of techs have no desire to learn all the ins and outs nor have enough pride to do a complete and good looking install.

42 switches have been out long enough now and just the other day I got a call from a tech asking me how to install one after he connected the host line to port 2, the client line to port 1 and couldn't figure out why the Joey wouldn't discover

That kind of stuff makes me go :facepalm.

You sir are apparently an exception. :)

When’s the last time you’ve had to have Dish move or install a dish for you? If more than a year since the last time, I reckon’ they’ll install the new one at no charge. Even if it’s not technically a move to a new location.

That kind of stuff makes me go :facepalm.

You sir are apparently an exception. :)
Since the day I started here a little over 4 years ago, I made it my goal to be the best I can be. My buddy, Bob, who works here also and I have been in competition since day 1, pushing each other, keeping each other up to date on things.

A few weeks ago I was at his house, drinking too much Jack Daniels and he says to me, "When a customer is waiting for a tech and the doorbell rings and it's you or me standing there, you know how lucky that customer is?" I laughed but he's right. We have a fair amount of nudnicks in our office and company that I'd never want working on my house

It can be done DIY. Before you try anything you have to make sure the mast (part bolted to the roof) is leveled in all directions (pointing straight up). If it's not, then you're shooting in the dark. If you had signal before then you should not have to readjust the skew and elevation on the dish unless the roofers rough handled it. Check and start with the recommended settings that show up on the receiver's setup screen. Point the dish in the direction it was before they took it down--starting further to the left than you remember it to be.. Then, turn it VERY SLIGHTLY to the right. Wait a few seconds. Listen to the tone signal coming from the receiver--if it's too far to hear then call somebody on cell phone so you can listen that way and/or have them tell you the signal strength. Turn slightly to the right, wait a few seconds, listen to tone. Turn slightly to the right, wait a few seconds, listen to tone. The key is SLIGHTLY because too much and you can overshoot. Keep repeating that until you hear the tone from the receiver indicate that it's picking up something. When you have a signal lock you can wiggle left and right until it peaks. You can also adjust elevation (up/down) if you're OCD. Everything I have ever read says set the skew and leave it.

If you're a DIYer you can do it. Plus you get the satisfaction of knowing you DIYd it.

I've setup/alligned dishes before and it takes a little bit of patience but you don't need anything super fancy beyond what you have. If you had satellite internet where you're trying to beam something OUT then yeah that's when you call in the pros with the expensive equipment.

I thought about going and getting hired as a tech, but I am pretty sure I am blackballed from ever working for the company again... threats of a wrongful term CLA kinda makes them forget about you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts