Please help with slim SL3S4NR2-01 with a standard definition dvr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

clydesdale6

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
NY
I acquired a relatively new slimline dish, the multiswitch, but no power inserter. I am considering upgrading to an HD DVR. But, I want to hook this dish up to my standard DVR in the meantime. This way I will be ready when I make the decision and I hear the larger dish gets better reception in the rain. I am currrently using a TIVO dvr that I own and a 15 year old sony dish. My big question is, can I hook my current SD hvr up with this slimline? Will I still need the power inserter? Will the power inserter damage my non-HD receiver? Thanks.

OK thanks. What powers the LNB on my SD sony dish? If my SD dvr powers it and thereby has it's own power source, will the additional power inserter cause problems? Can these power inserters only be used with HD receivers? Thanks.

:welcome to Satelliteguys clydesdale6!
The lnb in your current setup is powered by the receiver/dvr. The SWM type lnb you just got needs the power inserter to supply higher voltage than the receiver/dvr can. Your TIVO won't work with the SWM lnb. The newer model that came out recently will, though.

Thanks Raoul,
I may have confused the issue. The DVR that I am currently using is a Directv DVR R10. It has TIVO technology. So, it is a Directv DVR and has the Directv symbol on it. But, it also has a small TIVO badge. It is not a standalone DVR made by TIVO. Will the SWM 3 LNB work with this setup? If it does, can adding the power inserter on top of the powering device in my DVR cause problems? Thanks.

No, the TiVo won't work with an SWM dish.

ok, this should be the last question:
Will I be able to keep my DVR R10 as a second receiver? If I hook the power inserter up to a brand new HD DVR, can I still keep my SD dvr in another room, or is there no way to use this SD DVR? Thanks.

clydesdale6 said:
ok, this should be the last question:
Will I be able to keep my DVR R10 as a second receiver? If I hook the power inserter up to a brand new HD DVR, can I still keep my SD dvr in another room, or is there no way to use this SD DVR? Thanks.

Nope, can't used it unless you get a SWM16. SWM isn't a power inserter, lnb, splitter. It's the entire system. The receivers rely on SWM channels from the lnb to work. In turn, the receivers must be SWM compatible to work on a SWM system.

wouldn't it just be easier to upgrade to a HD DVR instead?
Thats a lot of money for a part....just put up a SD dish if you want to use the SD DVR after you get a HD DVR

Directv told me that I could keep my current DVR and have it in another room. But, from what I am learning hear, that is not true. Do I get to specify which dish I want?

clydesdale6 said:
Directv told me that I could keep my current DVR and have it in another room. But, from what I am learning hear, that is not true. Do I get to specify which dish I want?

No, they decide on the equipment you currently have. You can keep the TiVo unit but will end up with a slimline 3/5 so its all able to work on 1 dish

Thanks Raoul,
I may have confused the issue. The DVR that I am currently using is a Directv DVR R10. It has TIVO technology. So, it is a Directv DVR and has the Directv symbol on it. But, it also has a small TIVO badge. It is not a standalone DVR made by TIVO. Will the SWM 3 LNB work with this setup? If it does, can adding the power inserter on top of the powering device in my DVR cause problems? Thanks.

No..That receiver is older technology and not compatible with SWM.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)