Please Help with Wireless Joey connection

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bgee

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 19, 2009
Albany NY
I'm staying in a guest cottage with a wireless Joey connected to the owner's Dish system. There's also a WiFi network on the property.

My wireless Joey has lost connection. After a restart, it is stuck on the "Connect to WAP" screen and wants someone to push the WPS button. However, I believe this system uses the home WiFi network to connect wireless Joey's to the Hopper with no Dish WAP's. The owner is clueless and totally depends on Dish support.

Is there any documentation on setup to use the home's WiFi network as the backbone to connect wireless Joey's to the Hopper without using a Dish private WAP network?

(I'm a long time 722K user back home and not at all familiar with the newer architecture)

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm staying in a guest cottage with a wireless Joey connected to the owner's Dish system. There's also a WiFi network on the property.

My wireless Joey has lost connection. After a restart, it is stuck on the "Connect to WAP" screen and wants someone to push the WPS button. However, I believe this system uses the home WiFi network to connect wireless Joey's to the Hopper with no Dish WAP's. The owner is clueless and totally depends on Dish support.

Is there any documentation on setup to use the home's WiFi network as the backbone to connect wireless Joey's to the Hopper without using a Dish private WAP network?

(I'm a long time 722K user back home and not at all familiar with the newer architecture)

Thanks
As far as I know the wireless joeys must use a DISH WAP, I still have 2 of them (replaced one with a Joey3 due to connectivity problems) and that is how mine are connected, I was never given another option for connecting them. There are no options for inputting passwords or selecting networks from the Joeys that I have ever seen in any of the menus.

Reactions: bgee and TheKrell
Go find the owner's Hopper and see what is plugged in to the Ethernet ports...the Dish WAP would be connected to it via Ethernet. The Dish WAP looks like this:

1595507499606.png

Did you say why the Joey lost connection? They fact that you can't see the wap makes me think that is why you lost connection. It was somehow either accidently or purposely powered down?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell
I believe the Joey lost connection due to an internal hardware failure. Suddenly network status showed no router detected. Reportedly the other Joey's in the owner's main house had no interruption. They gave me a spare Joey to try and that powers up into the "Connect to WAP" screen.

Based on the responses, there must be a WAP connected to their Hopper with a WPS button that needs pushing.

I believe the Joey lost connection due to an internal hardware failure. Suddenly network status showed no router detected. Reportedly the other Joey's in the owner's main house had no interruption. They gave me a spare Joey to try and that powers up into the "Connect to WAP" screen.

Based on the responses, there must be a WAP connected to their Hopper with a WPS button that needs pushing.
Yes, find the WAP and you should be able to get the WJ connected. My WAP is connected to my Hopper3 via ethernet connection, you should be able to trace the ethernet cable from the back of the Hopper to find it.

Reactions: TheKrell and bgee
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts