please i need some help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Grace

Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
hi, i have a chaparral lnb and a 10feet dish; fiber glass. i would like to know what i need in order to be able to see free to air channels. i live in albuquerque and i do not have an idea on what i have to do or what satellite i'll be able to find, can some one please let me know what other parts i need? i was given this dish and would like to get it going..i have included some pictures of the lnb, let me know if this will work or if i need another one, like i said i do not know any of this, i found this page and i hope someone can get back to me, i have been trying to get this going for two weeks with no success! Thank You very much for your help...

Dig a hole!

First, you have to plant that dish, did you get the pole that it was mounted on? If not, you'll need to locate one. 3 1/2" outside diameter if I remember correctly.
Fiberglass dishes are heavy, so you'll need to be sure you have enough pipe below ground and concrete to hold it in place well.
You prob already know how heavy the dish is, will take sev strong guys to put it on the pole, or a small crane (split-boom wrecker will do it too !)
We'll locate you some guides online, to help, too much involved here to type an entire how-to.... basically once you get the dish up, and have it tracking the satellite arc in the sky, all you'll need is a motor to move the dish, such as a V-box, or G-box, and a digital free to air receiver. Check out sponsors ads on top of page here for some ideas on receivers, several good basic fta receivers can be found for under a hundred dollars. And check out The List, link on top, to see some of what is available on free-to-air tv. You might not want a c-band (big dish), but a smaller, easier to work with, KU band dish (1meter or so in size). There's lot of tv to watch on both frequency bands, that is free.

First, you have to plant that dish, did you get the pole that it was mounted on? If not, you'll need to locate one. 3 1/2" outside diameter if I remember correctly.
Fiberglass dishes are heavy, so you'll need to be sure you have enough pipe below ground and concrete to hold it in place well.
You prob already know how heavy the dish is, will take sev strong guys to put it on the pole, or a small crane (split-boom wrecker will do it too !)
We'll locate you some guides online, to help, too much involved here to type an entire how-to.... basically once you get the dish up, and have it tracking the satellite arc in the sky, all you'll need is a motor to move the dish, such as a V-box, or G-box, and a digital free to air receiver. Check out sponsors ads on top of page here for some ideas on receivers, several good basic fta receivers can be found for under a hundred dollars. And check out The List, link on top, to see some of what is available on free-to-air tv. You might not want a c-band (big dish), but a smaller, easier to work with, KU band dish (1meter or so in size). There's lot of tv to watch on both frequency bands, that is free.

Thanks for your reply, i already have the dish mounted, i have some pictures of that as well, but it's not letting me upload them, i'll give it a try again, what i have is a fta (megasat) but i am having a hard time setting the c band, i was able to get the ku band " i think" the lnb is dual and has the c band and ku band, at least that is what the guy that gave it to me said, if you just take out the spaces between the http letters you will be able to view the pictures. Thank You...Grace

h t t p://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1481rs5.jpg
h t t p://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1483ym0.jpg
h t t p://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1477is1.jpg
h t t p://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1480os5.jpg
h t t p://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1485em6.jpg
h t t p://img501.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1486ij8. jpg
h t t p://img172.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1487ow8.jpg

Yes, you have an old Chaparral C & Ku band feedhorn, with both types of LNB.
It's servo controlled for skew and polarity (selecting between vertical and horizontal), so your receiver would need to be able to drive it.

Did you say you have a Megasat receiver?
Not sure what that is, but there's about 0.00% chance it'll run that particular feedhorn/LNB combination.
Give us a picture of, or link to a web site with a picture of the back side of the receiver, to be sure.

If you don't have a proper receiver for the job, then the easiest thing is to swap out the feedhorn and LNB with one of the units that is voltage controlled, such as the CK-1 from SatelliteAV.
Now, don't go jumping off the deep end, based on this post.
Learn what you have and other ways to deal with it, and take the best approach.

Some idea of what sort of programming you are seeking might help get you guided along the path a bit better.
From what you said above, you don't want Analog, and you don't want to subscribe to 4DTV.
You want FTA, and digital...

(megasat) but i am having a hard time setting the c band

most receivers are setup to do one or the other c or ku and a lot of the time they are preset to do it on one listing ( satellite). i usually find it easier to set up a second satellite for each one and make one ku and the other c-band cause if you don't you have to manually change the LO each time the LO for c-band is 5150 for ku its 10750

so if your getting ku fine go into set up and change the LO to 5150 and try a scan and see if you dson't get some channels :)

also Welcome to the group :)

is this a beachcraft dish ? looks like a good one :)
are you moving it & controling the polarity with an old analog receiver ? ( same questions Anole asked ) :)

Yes its a beachcraft the receiver that i have does not have a way to connect the three wires to move the servo motor, i know the acutator motor arm does work, i was able to move it with a battery charger, i get the satallites only in ku band, why can i just get the ku and not the c band? right now i can get like arabic channels but i don't know what satellite i'm getting, this is in ku.. is it very important to have the servo motor in order to get the c band? the receiver that i have gives me different satellites to choose from , some come in ku and some in c. with the names of the satellites, exp.satmex5,hispasat,amc..and much more.

i get the satallites only in ku band, why can i just get the ku and not the c band?

See the picture attached.
You have a Ku band LNB, and a C-band LNB.
Each has a screw-on connector.
Try plugging the cable from the receiver into the C-band instead of the Ku, and you might be able to see some C-band satellites.
And of course, follow the advice of Gabsphere in post #6, above!

Here is a nice list of both C and Ku satellites at our own TheList.

Attachments

• dscf1477is1edit01.JPG
    dscf1477is1edit01.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 201
My suggestion is to get the GBox or VBox II from Sadoun who has a link at the top of the page for hooking up to your actuator to move the dish.

Secondly, you already have a fine feed-horn and LNBs for receiving both C and Ku signals. You will need a diseqc switch to switch between the C and Ku LNBs. The diseqc can be located at the dish, or in the house. If you put it in the house, you will need two lines of coax run inside.

Thirdly, you need a Pansat 2500a, 2700, or 3500 which has built-in controls for the servo to control polarity on both C and Ku. You can get the 2500a used for less than $50.00 on ebay.

Then it is just a matter of learning how to set the satellites up in the receiver.

Hope that helps.

My suggestion is to get the GBox or

I like the fact that the new g-box (g-box II) will have polarity control :)

Grace
the servo only changes the polarity from v to h and also controls the skew ( old analog boxes usually do this).

to change between c & ku you only have to change the LO on the megasat box and you might have to change the coax cable (if you don't have a diesqc switch) like mentioned above.

Thirdly, you need a Pansat 2500a, 2700, or 3500 which has built-in controls for the servo to control polarity on both C and Ku. You can get the 2500a used for less than $50.00 on ebay.

the pansats are good boxes for controling the servo and by adding a v-box or g-box to the equations should let the receiver move the big dish and change the servo... when you tell it to change satellites

its hard to move & align the dish with a battery charger ( not impossible) but it makes it possible to park the dish at one satellite at a time and watch channels without spending money.

I've seen pictures of several smaller beach craft dishes and they seem to be good dishes ( i've seen the 7 1/2 fter or 8 fter ) never seen a 10 fter before now :)

nice dish

May be the picture I saw, but the dish sure looks like its low to ground. I'd be sure I was watching as I moved it west to be certain it won't hit the dirt!

Mounting Pole

hi, i have a chaparral lnb and a 10feet dish; fiber glass. i would like to know what i need in order to be able to see free to air channels. i live in albuquerque and i do not have an idea on what i have to do or what satellite i'll be able to find, can some one please let me know what other parts i need? i was given this dish and would like to get it going..i have included some pictures of the lnb, let me know if this will work or if i need another one, like i said i do not know any of this, i found this page and i hope someone can get back to me, i have been trying to get this going for two weeks with no success! Thank You very much for your help...

Hello Grace,
When you first said that you had a fiberglass dish, I was thinking that it was going to be one heavy dish and also wondering if it might be warped! From the looks of it in the photo's you sent, it looks like it is in great shape.
Now as Turbosat told you that you might need a 3 1/2' Pipe is true; however there are those times when it calls for a larger size. The best way to determine the proper size for the mounting pole is to measure the bracket mount where the bracket gets attached to the mounting Pole. Just trying to save you from planting a pole and then finding out you needed a larger one. I did that on one of my poles, got a 3 ½ inch pole. Cemented it in and then found out I couldn’t use the pole! Luck would come back to me and I got another dish to fit the pole. And what ever size pole you get, put some rebar and have it welded on the pole. The rebar will stop the pole from moving in the cement. Don't be shy when it comes to digging a hole. Make it deep, Sure you will spend more time and more money on cement the first time, but that sure is a lot better than doing it twice. I planted my poles 5 feet deep, however I also live in Florida where the soil is sand and we have huricanes too. I'm thinking for you and that its a fiberglass sish the hole could go 4 feet deep. Just my opinion, hope it helps!

Good Luck,
TOM
:D

Thank u all the people that took the time to answer all my questions, it was a very big help, it made a big difference, now i understand more; i have been reading alot of other post in this web site and i've learn alot...i will be posting a picture of the receiver that i have to see if i can use it with the dish i have. i have a question to ask about the v-box or g-box , which one is the best and where can i find one that is least expensive, i really appreciate all your help..thank you again!..grace

the v-box is probably cheaper
the g-box from what i hear is better and counts better but is on backorder
the g-box II is due out soon and it will have servo motor control

sadouns at the top of the page sells them

you would need to check to see if your megasat can control a v-box / g-box it must be able to do Diesqc 1.2 (some boxes don't)

here is some pictures of the receiver i have, can someone let me know if this will work to get the c band?& will it work with the g box/v box? Thank u !!

h t t p://img214.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1491bv0.jpg
h t t p://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1492ut5.jpg
h t t p://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1496un0.jpg
h t t p://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1498gx9.jpg
h t t p://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1499os1.jpg
h t t p://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1516rs8.jpg
h t t p://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1517dp4.jpg
h t t p://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1518zw6.jpg
h t t p://img204.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1529co8.jpg

Yes.

I believe the little hat symbol " _|¯|_ " on the back of the receiver is the pulse out to the skew servo .

And, the menu gives you a place to set skew.
That's a clue.
Probably need a manual for the receiver.
I'll see if we've got one.

edit: nope.
I don't see a manual for a Megasat YT-6688 in our archives.
Or is that 668b ? I can't see clearly in the picture.

That receiver looks like a Pansat clone, probably either a 2500a or 2700a. The manuals are here. It looks like it can control a servo without much trouble, but you'll still need a v-box or g-box to control the actuator.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts