Please Post Here IF You See Mosquito Noise

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
Please, only those who see the noise post. I am not looking for trollers or bashers. The reason is this: The Perfect Vision magazine gave Voom a Golden Eye Award and I emailed them chastising them for doing so and questioned the size of TV they used. The guy replied that they did test it with an 8' screen and a CRT projector so I must trust that he has a decent setup. He did NOT see any noise at all and rated Voom as "Pristine". I want to direct him to this post so he can see the testimonials for himself. Thank you.

What I want from you guys who see mosquito noise:

Please post your TV size and the channels you see it on, I'll start:

Studio Experience 2HD PJ on a 110'" diagonal screen connected via Component and DVI with DVI showing the most noise.

EquatorHD, GalleryHD, UltraHD are the worst channels but I see it to some degree in all channels.

The cleanest channels: RaveHD, RushHD, MonstersHD.

MODERATOR: Please delete any unrelated crap from this thread.

I got rid of Voom but I do see the mosquito noise on my friend's setup. He has a 48" JVC rear projection unit. He says the noise has been really bad lately on DiscoveryHD. He also sees it on Equator HD but not as bad as it used to be. He also sees it on other Voom original channels. Let me add that when I did have Voom my experience was just like yours. The channels you listed were the ones I saw the problem with too.

Bob

I see the mosquito noise ONLY on Equator-HD. It is clearly noticeable on the "Eye Over ..." program.
My setup consist of a 42" plasma (Panasonic 42PX20U) connected via DVI @ 1080i.

I've seen it and continue to see it on DiscoveryHD and Equator-HD. I have a 43" Pioneer plasma with a DVI to HDMI connection between the TV and the STB. STB is set for 1080i.

I would agree that RaveHD and MonstersHD are the cleanest channels of those that I watch.

If you mean "picture noise" then I do see it now and then but it depends on what's playing. "Smart Travels" is always clear. Some "Eye Over.." shows have picture noise.
Have never seen it on RAVE or HDNews (studio productions). Picture is 53" diagonal. With a 110" screen you could probably see more grain unless you have a $30,000 projector. (Most consumer models are 720p) I think part of it originates in the post-production process.

Mosquito Noise

Just to clarify what Mosquito Noise is...
The picture on the left has more noticeable mosquito noise, than the one on the right:

mosquito1.jpg
mosquito2.jpg

According to The Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS):

mosquito noise: In a video display, distortion sometimes seen around the edges of moving objects, and characterized by moving artifacts around edges and/or by blotchy noise patterns superimposed over the objects, resembling a mosquito flying around a person's head and shoulders.​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts