Please review my proposed set-up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I have had a FTA system before, but it has been over 10 years and I know a lot has changed. My goal is to get LPB on 87 W. I realize that there is more programming on 125 but that would require a roof mount. My zip code is 79938 and the eirp on 87 W for this area seems to be about 48. After much consideration my proposal is as follows:
GeoSat Pro Micro HD Receiver- I like the fact that it seems relatively simple and there is no internet connection involved.
GeoSat Pro SL 1 PLL single standard LNBF
Winegard DS-3100 1 meter pole mount dish - largest shipped by UPS
Winegard DS-5200 J pole mount- to be screwed into cement wall

If successful, I would eventually like the ability to record. Ten years ago, I could never keep the time set correctly even when entered manually. This would be critical to record to a hard drive. (back then I just left the receiver on the correct channel all night and set the VCR's timer)
Please let me know if I have missed some critical data. Thanks to all!

I have had a FTA system before, but it has been over 10 years and I know a lot has changed. My goal is to get LPB on 87 W. I realize that there is more programming on 125 but that would require a roof mount. My zip code is 79938 and the eirp on 87 W for this area seems to be about 48. After much consideration my proposal is as follows:
GeoSat Pro Micro HD Receiver- I like the fact that it seems relatively simple and there is no internet connection involved.
GeoSat Pro SL 1 PLL single standard LNBF
Winegard DS-3100 1 meter pole mount dish - largest shipped by UPS
Winegard DS-5200 J pole mount- to be screwed into cement wall

If successful, I would eventually like the ability to record. Ten years ago, I could never keep the time set correctly even when entered manually. This would be critical to record to a hard drive. (back then I just left the receiver on the correct channel all night and set the VCR's timer)
Please let me know if I have missed some critical data. Thanks to all!
Welcome back to FTA! I have never used the Micro HD myself but I know there are many who do and for the most part are pleased with it. Most receivers still do not keep time well but I believe from what I hear that the Micro HD is fairly good at this. Excellent idea to go with a PLL lnb. They are very good at locking signals, especially marginal ones. I use a Fortec 90cm dish and get LPB easily so you should have no problem with a 1 meter. Bigger is better with FTA but I see the shipping on that dish is salty. If cost is a factor there is also this option, $99 and free shipping, smaller but functional and includes PLL lnb (http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Inch-90-cm-Free-To-Air-FTA-Satellite-Dish-HD-LNBF-/140486803820). I can't comment on the j pole as I have no experience with them, of course you already know that any mount you use will need to be plumb and strong enough to support the weight of the dish and/or a motor if added in the future. Make sure you use high quality RG6 coax that has been sweep tested to 3GHz. Good luck with your FTA setup! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: danristheman
THE Geosat Pro is a good receiver, it should do just fine.
Just don't delete any of the satellites, Favorite and Un-favorite them as needed.

Reactions: Santa Clause
wow, using zip and they are about equidistant from south
Could easily swing for one to the other on an Az/El mount.
(if obstructions weren't an issue)

Name: 125W AMC-21 | GALAXY 14 (G-14)
Distance: 37242km
Elevation: 47.5°
Azimuth (true): 213.3°
Azimuth (magn.): 205.1°
LNB Skew [?]: 27.8°

Name: 87W SES-2
Distance: 37236km
Elevation: 47.6°
Azimuth (true): 147.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 138.8°
LNB Skew [?]: -27.6°

credit: www.dishpointer.com

Welcome back!

wow, using zip and they are about equidistant from south
Could easily swing for one to the other on an Az/El mount.
(if obstructions weren't an issue)
credit: www.dishpointer.com

Welcome back!

Yes, the obstructions are the neighbors trees. First a huge Mulberry tree then a row of tall pine trees. The only way to see over it all would be from my steep pitched roof.

I use a Fortec 90cm dish and get LPB easily so you should have no problem with a 1 meter. Bigger is better with FTA but I see the shipping on that dish is salty. :)
Could I possibly get by with a 76 cm dish. It would certainly be easier on the budget. I could live with occasional rain fade, after this is far West Texas.

A 76cm dish is not 2degree compliant so it would have interference from adjacent satellites. The minimum dish size that I would recommend for a motorized KU-band system is 90cm.

The least expensive Winegard 2076 is $75 shipped on Ebay, but it doesn't include an LNBF. So a buyer would be possibly saving $10 by buying a smaller dish. Not worth saving a few dollars in my opinion. :(

Could I possibly get by with a 76 cm dish. It would certainly be easier on the budget. I could live with occasional rain fade, after this is far West Texas.
I would definitely suggest going with 90cm or bigger. The price of the one meter at around $90 is great if you can go somewhere and pick it up but with another $105 added for shipping it you could add a Stab HH90 motor (about $80) to the 90cm and get quite a few more channels. :)

It looks like 90 cm is the way to go then. Amazon has a GeoSat Pro 90 cm dish with the SL1 PLL LNB with free shipping. I could even get the above mentioned receiver through them. Now I just need to talk to my landlord about mounting into that cement wall. Thanks again for all the advice.

I started with a 76 cm dish and within a couple months I got a 90 cm. Even the 90 is too small for some feeds. I now want a 1.2 m but am going to have to try and find one locally because nobody will ship a 1.2 m in Canada. A 90 gets most of the channels but a 76 only will get a few.

"Now I just need to talk to my landlord about mounting into that cement wall."

Maybe a pole would be less issue with Landlord. I own and hate mounting anything to the structure. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but if done enough times the structural integrity is gone.

Seriously, I would give some real thought to a pole mount. Think the Landlord would be more receptive to that.

Reactions: danristheman
Seriously, I would give some real thought to a pole mount. Think the Landlord would be more receptive to that.

That is a good idea. The Winegard 1 meter dish calls for a pole from 2.25" to 2.62" outer diameter. Now I am leaning towards the GeoSat Pro 90 cm dish and can not find any specifications on the size of pole required. Also, could I use one of those non-penetrating mounts that I see used here for some of the larger subscription service dishes? People just load them down with cement blocks. I have line-of -sight right down to the ground on 87 West.

The 90cm mounts on a 1 5/8" OD post. That is a 1.66" mast or galvanized fence post.

Her is a photo of the non-pen with a motorized 90cmon my shop.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1428243214.818498.jpg

Reactions: fred555
I am leaning towards the GeoSat Pro 90 cm dish and can not find any specifications on the size of pole required. Also, could I use one of those non-penetrating mounts that I see used here for some of the larger subscription service dishes? People just load them down with cement blocks. I have line-of -sight right down to the ground on 87 West.
Here is a link to the one that is mentioned for it on the GeosatPro website (1.66" / 1 5/8" as Titanium said). You may be able to find it or a similiar one at better price/shipping if you check around. :) http://geosatpro.com/p/shop/?ws_pid=1625&ws_cat=470

The 90cm mounts on a 1 5/8" OD post. That is a 1.66" mast or galvanized fence post.

I have found that the galvanized chain link fence posts that Lowes sells in my area run a little on the small side.
They are the ones made in Vietnam.
You just cant get the GeosatPro 90cm to tighten up on it. But they work fine on DirecTV dishes.

If you have a set of dial calipers, just go to the electrical section and check out the EMT (Electro Metallic Tubing electrical conduit).
They come in 10 foot sections.These are pretty fat, you will have to open the clamping bolts all the way. They are rust resistant not galvanized. Have not had mine rust, but you can paint them with rustoleum. Never had a dish move in the wind with the EMT, they are tight. I do fill them with concrete when I plant them for extra stability.

Been using galvanized fence posts for years on the GEOSATpro dishes without any issues with the clamp. As pointed out, there are many post options (don't try PVC as a few newbies have attempted). :( As the op is likely to mount the dish on a motor, I would suggest using a larger 2"- 2.5" post anyways.

If you ever want to add extra grab to a post mount, place a strip of the non-slip stair tread tape in the clamp or on the post prior to mounting. Once clamped, the grit on the tape secures the mount from easily rotating.

Reactions: fred555
Been using galvanized fence posts for years on the GEOSATpro dishes without any issues with the clamp. As pointed out, there are many post options (don't try PVC as a few newbies have attempted). :( As the op is likely to mount the dish on a motor, I would suggest using a larger 2"- 2.5" post anyways.

If you ever want to add extra grab to a post mount, place a strip of the non-slip stair tread tape in the clamp or on the post prior to mounting. Once clamped, the grit on the tape secures the mount from easily rotating.

Its just the ones at Lowes are a little smaller probably. Making a million posts just a little smaller will save manufacturing costs over the run. Size will vary by post manufacturer. I always get funny looks with my dial calipers at Lowes.
They are probably thinking why would I need .00x'' tolerance for a fence!

I certainly like the idea of the non-penetrating mount. It would be easy to move if I wanted to try for a different satellite in the future. Also, the soil here is very hard at abut 12 inches down and I am not as strong as I used to be. This one at least has free shipping, http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...oof-Mount--30-Mast-with-1.66-OD-(SKY32816KITB). Yes, I was just at Lowe's and the fence posts are certainly not very precisely made. I appreciate all of this advice!

Reactions: fred555 and FTA4PA
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)