Please stop me from going to Dicectv

3) I hear lots of people say the 722 is better than the HR21. I haven't heard anyone say the HR21 is better than the 722.

DirecTV HR20 (DirecTV Plus HD DVR) Digital Video Recorder (DVR) reviews - CNET Reviews

Can 315 end user reviews be wrong?

I recently switched in reverse to Dish. Two observations. First, Direc and Dish have nearly as much HD programming as each other. With OTA, the count is really about the same. Second, the HR20/21 have the same software, but the HR20 has more connections than the HR21 and the software is a work in progress. TiVo (8 year ownership) is comparable to ViP722 in terms of usability. Both have advantages over the other, so it is tough to complain about either unit. I made arrangements to return the HR20 after questioning Direc Technical Support over advertised functions that did not work, namely Search and Auto record. D* Tech Support said, "Since this is your first DVR, you will just have to learn to deal with it." D* admitted their DVR does not function as advertised.

Reader's Digest form: Content is equal. DVR advantage Dish.

I'm not gonna stop you, I just switched at the beginning of February from Dish to Directv, and love it.

My situation is different though. I got 2 lazy installers when I was trying to upgrade from a 625 to a 722 with Dish HD. Didn't even want to look around for line of sight to 129. I just got the refund, waited about 8 or 9 days, and used that money to switch to Directv. My only regret is that I can't get locals on Directv and I did on Dish. But oh well... I feel I made the right choice.

When I called to cancel and tell them what I did, they tried to offer to bring out a higher level tech, I told them "No, I'm already installed and locked in a contract."

I LOVE directv.... but I also loved Dish Network. You just have to go with what is best for you.

I had Direct for years, and they kept changing the stupid channel #s on me I would have my favorites down and boom changed to other numbers. I had my own reciever Sony and at the time it was pretty quick but controlled one TV. It was not for HD and had no record ability. I got tired of the change up on Music Selections to wierd names like Fred and did not describe type of Music it was. With Dish I love Sirius over XM and listen to it while working. I have a Toshiba projection HD TV but have not made the move to HD yet because I have about 70 hours of Monk and other programs to watch out of 100 hours on my DVR? I will then consider Paying the extra 10 bucks for HD? I then get a receiver that has less recording capability than now? Downside to Dish is they did not explain well at installation of what room would do most recordings? My Living room and Computer room are the recording ones? My wife spends more time in computer room and hates it that my other programs are recording and she cannot watch what she wants. Then I have to switch off and lose what I am watching? Should have had the record go to back bedroom and have the little receiver sitting on top of a little 13 inch tv go into the computer room? Other downside is keep getting Dish calling me nonstop because I sent the little receiver back for a fix? They then want me to upgrade? I will eventually have to tell them to bug off. But dish has the on line caller ID and I don't answer it? Does Direct have caller ID pop up on screen? I think Dish will pull past DT in next year with HD TV? Just hunch? Sorry bit lengthy just joined today. :))

Yes Caller ID comes up on my TV screen with DirecTV,and so does Caller ID Waiting.;)

You will be sorry.

I switched from Direct (8 years) to Dish. Direct's customer service has gone down hill fast. I recently wanted to upgrade to HD and they were not co-operative or helpful. The sales people were rude and their tech support was non-existant. I tried three times to talk to supervisors and found them more rude than the service representives. After I cancelled my service they attempted to charge me for service after the shut off date. I will not subscribe to their service no matter how many HD channels they provide. I guess a 8 year subscriber means nothing to them anymore.

I debated switching to Dish (from Comcast) for over 2 years and finally bit the bullet (with dual tuners and DVR, Dish was a slam dunk for me). I have never regretted it. Last year I signed on for an 18 month agreement with Dish to get a 722 - still no real regret. While I'm disappointed that I can't get SciFi, USA and WGN in HD (yet), that, in itself, is no reason for me to switch. Before signing my last Dish contract, I looked real hard at Direct, but for what I was getting with Dish (and actually used), I couldn't justify a switch.

Everyone's situation is different and were I in your case (OP) I would be hard-pressed to stick with Dish as well. Change for the sake of change is never a good thing, but in your case it sounds like it may be well over due.

IF DISH had all the content in hd that Directv has now and the great video on demand that Directv has I would of had no reason to add Directv hd to my house. I added them at the end of January and have a 2 year commitment and I feel it was worth it. I no longer have to worry about : "Will they add sci fi hd by April ? Will I get ANY new hd at all?

I still have DISH and kept them for the hd pack only and two dvrs. My wife wants our ota locals that you can't get from DIRECTV because they stupidly did not include an ota tuner in the HR 21 dvrs. THey are supposed to add the ota support next month when you add the ota add on box. MY 722 records network tv shows on both ota and through DISH and get a good workout each day. I still have many movies recorded on my external hard drive that I have yet to watch yet.

If DISH gets back into the hd race and matches what DIRECTV has in hd I could always switch back to DISH for all my hd and go down to just the family pack on Directv . I don't see that happening in the next year or two. But either way I am covered for HD. I love Sci-Fi in hd , Fx in hd etc. I even watch more news channels now that I have CNN in hd. I also love native resolution on my hr 21 dvr. It makes the picture on sd look great and in proportion. WITH out having to partial zoom or zoom the pic.

DirecTV HR20 (DirecTV Plus HD DVR) Digital Video Recorder (DVR) reviews - CNET Reviews

Can 315 end user reviews be wrong?

I recently switched in reverse to Dish. Two observations. First, Direc and Dish have nearly as much HD programming as each other. With OTA, the count is really about the same. Second, the HR20/21 have the same software, but the HR20 has more connections than the HR21 and the software is a work in progress. TiVo (8 year ownership) is comparable to ViP722 in terms of usability. Both have advantages over the other, so it is tough to complain about either unit. I made arrangements to return the HR20 after questioning Direc Technical Support over advertised functions that did not work, namely Search and Auto record. D* Tech Support said, "Since this is your first DVR, you will just have to learn to deal with it." D* admitted their DVR does not function as advertised.

Reader's Digest form: Content is equal. DVR advantage Dish.
Your link also hasn't been updated in over 6 months:Reviewed on 10/3/06 Updated on: 7/24/07 Release date: 9/1/06 : and only 88 people reviewed the 622/722.

I too am thinking of switching and found this interesting, Dish Network ViP622 HD DVR Digital Video Recorder (DVR) reviews - CNET Reviews I want more hd lil, speed, sci fi, ... but at what cost?

This is one of the things holding me back too. BUT, D* seems to be very rapidly adding features. They already have remote scheduling, and "supposedly" multi-room viewing is just around the corner.

Also, only one DVR fee from Direct for all DVRs you have. I'm sure they'll change that someday though.

I still haven't switched, I still have faith, but just throwing out some of my thoughts.

Matt

So according to DTV's commercial that you've seen if you watched some basketball this weekend that they have 90 HD channels? It does make you wonder. Wonder how good the quality of those 90 channels are?

So according to DTV's commercial that you've seen if you watched some basketball this weekend that they have 90 HD channels? It does make you wonder. Wonder how good the quality of those 90 channels are?
If you mean picture quality, then I would say they are very good

If you mean picture quality, then I would say they are very good

Yea, that's what I meant. You know like comparing the picture quality on Voom to TNT...Dynomite. And for the 10,000th time all Dish has to do is add more HD channels and everything else will work itself out. I like that DTV has YES Network (I love the Yankees) but after checking to see if I could get it way down here I'm SOL.

Yea, that's what I meant. You know like comparing the picture quality on Voom to TNT...Dynomite. And for the 10,000th time all Dish has to do is add more HD channels and everything else will work itself out. I like that DTV has YES Network (I love the Yankees) but after checking to see if I could get it way down here I'm SOL.
Well, TNT on any provider will not compare to Voom.
But the Mpeg 4 channels they have added are as good or better than anything you will find in most cases.

May not be able to get YES, but you could always get MLBEI (although I think E* offers that too).

E* will eventually add most of these channels, the question is when.
My advice is, if you can handle the wait and are happy with what you have now, stay. If you just have to have them now, switch. The HR series is comparable to the ViP series, with each having better points than the other.

As a first time poster, I am thankful to all of you who are indirectly helping me to decide whether to say with Dish or switch to someone else.

I am an original Dish Network subscriber dating back to May 1996 when the equipment cost 1000 bucks with a year of service. I have watched Dish grow over the years and it is sad to see what was a great idea get lost in it's own growth.

Charlie Ergen swore up and down that Dish Network would never be like the cable companies with poor service or repair or installation issues and he was right as hard as it is to believe Dish Network has shown itself to be worse than any cable company.

I know that HD is the big thing for people making the switch but my question to those of you have been here way longer than myself is: IF you took the HD channels out would you still remain with your provider?

I have been watching the NCAA tournament on both Dish and Direct. I am supposed to have HD on both. I certainly have HD on Dish but I question the HD on Direct. The picture quality is like night and day. Dish rules, Direct sucks! My wife even can tell the difference and if this is all what Direct subs are raving about then I question their eyesite. The quality is very poor, on the quality of SD, and my Dish HD quality is extremely good. I know the difference would in certain people would be neglible, but it is quite obvious. Also, before anyone tries to tell me I probably don't know the difference between Dish HD and Direct HD, I do. Last year I had Direct only for MLBEI and there were several games on the HD channels that were excellent, so I don't know why the quality is crappy. I hope the HD games this year, and there are supposed to be quite a number more, are better than now. This is why I wouldn't switch, because of the inconsistancy of Direct in their so called HD programming. At least with Dish the majority of their HD is very good and even their SD is better than most of the Direct HD.

I have been watching the NCAA tournament on both Dish and Direct. I am supposed to have HD on both. I certainly have HD on Dish but I question the HD on Direct. The picture quality is like night and day. Dish rules, Direct sucks! My wife even can tell the difference and if this is all what Direct subs are raving about then I question their eyesite. The quality is very poor, on the quality of SD, and my Dish HD quality is extremely good. I know the difference would in certain people would be neglible, but it is quite obvious. Also, before anyone tries to tell me I probably don't know the difference between Dish HD and Direct HD, I do. Last year I had Direct only for MLBEI and there were several games on the HD channels that were excellent, so I don't know why the quality is crappy. I hope the HD games this year, and there are supposed to be quite a number more, are better than now. This is why I wouldn't switch, because of the inconsistancy of Direct in their so called HD programming. At least with Dish the majority of their HD is very good and even their SD is better than most of the Direct HD.
Well since you are watching locals, perhaps that is it. I know locals vary from market to market and from provider to provider. So to think that all D* subs that are impressed with the new HD are seeing the same thing you are is a false assumption. Honestly, it would suprise me that there is a considerable difference between the two in the same market.

You are getting HD locals via satellite from both services arent you? One istnt OTA and one sat or something like that?

I have had D* for 6 months now. While it ultimately is up to you if your going to switch. From my personal experience, I like directv allot better over all. The positives are tons of HD including the popular channels. I get WGN and soon PBS in HD as well as the big 4. Comcast sports net is 24/7 and shows games in HD. I don't have to wait on dish to decide what games are going to be played in HD. Directv On Demand blows Dish on demand away, and has some real free HD content now that looks great. All Mpeg4 Channel s's on D* blows Dish HD away!

Other Pluses is all the sporting packages.

The only downside is the remaining 9 mpeg2 HD channels, all though those will be switched over to MPEG4 HD soon. I don't mind the dish size, and the HR20-700 or the HR21 is comparable to the 622/722 and slowly gaining an advantage over the dish counterparts. D* is answering dish's call with vigor but I think E* waited too long, especially all the band with they have been sitting on. I will defiantly be checking dish out when this eastern arch thing picks up. I want to root on dish, but some of the things they have done has made me shake my head, plus all the bad luck they have been having. I know they could do better but they need to execute allot better and more often.

Could be that something isnt hooked up right! I do have to agree that Dish's sd is better than directs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts