PLL c-band lnb/lnbf ??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Since it seems the Alaska GCI channel on 137W has lost some of its power lately, I'm losing out on the hockey games when its raining or cloudy-and that isn't supposed to happen
on C-band. Or at least it hasn't been a problem in the past for me, with a 10' dish. Am wondering if a PLL type lnb or lnbf would help me out any, or do I just simply need a bigger dish for that? Has anybody here switched to a PLL lnb for their c-band, and did it help any for borderline signals? I can lock GCI if I have around 71-72 signal quality, on normal clear weather that gives me a stable signal, but lately when its cloudy or raining, 66-67 is best my Sami 10' can pull in, and it won't stay locked on it. The RTN S2 channels come in, last night in light rain, with 92quality, and no problem at all. I'm going to watch for a 12' dish, but it's been awhile since I saw one that big around here.

If it's frequency drift you should be able to get it 'back in' by changing the TP Freq + a few Mhz. I've seen your other thread and have been thinking on it a bit. The only thing that comes to mind is "is it T.I., man made, or otherwise??"(As I have not noticed any drop of Quality of the TP)
I pretty sure the FCC has approved new terrestrial services overlapping, or very close to, the C band satellite band.
Daydreaming- wonder if a LNBF and a cheep 'signal meter' powered by some batteries, hand-held, could 'sniff' it out???

Would almost need an L-band spectrum analyzer and c-band LNB/feedhorn to point around to sniff out the source. Also might be able to get enough swing from a 5.7GHz transverter (ham band) if it has a wide enough passband... wouldn't really be gainy that far off frequency but might pick up something if it is strong enough to interfere with the satellite equipment. Speaking of 5.7GHz, check for really strong wifi signals on that band as well, could be an overdriven transmitter creating spurs...

I'm not convinced it's TI, as I'm not having trouble on any of the other c-band birds, but anything is possible. There have been other people complaining about this channel, and on other websites too, that I've read. Fatair you may be deeper into the footprint than I am, you are further west & north so I would think you'd get a little better strength anyway on that satellite.
Just know that it is definitely weather-affected here, but there may be other things at play also. They have built enough stinking cellphone towers I guess I should be glad to pick up anything......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)