Plugging phone line into receiver disables home phone system?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blueridge66

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 11, 2007
Northern AZ
As background my home phone is the cordless variety. I use the DTV receiver (HR22) to display caller ID. The receiver had been transported to our cabin and return. After the reboot from being unplugged I tried to make a phone call and noticed no dial tone on the cordless phone. After trying a number of different phone outlets I unplugged the phone line into the DTV receiver and the dial tone returned.

I did try different cords and DSL filters to the receiver and nothing solved the issue. The moment I plugged in the line dial tone would cease using the cordless phone. At this stage of the troubleshooting I had not tried the non-cordless phone yet to see it dial tone was interrupted.

The line going to the receiver was verified to operate with a both my cordless and a non-cordless phone. (I learned a long time ago cordless phones don't work if there's a power outage)

Finally I called DTV tech support to see if there were reported issues... none. After chatting a few minutes with her suggesting a number of possible causes, including a home phone line problem, she suggested I confirm the problem using the non-cordless phone. Lo and behold.... problem solved. Dial tone was present with the line plugged in.

So on a lark I re-plugged in the cordless phone and it now works.... (non-cordless not used)

Any case I post this wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.... or found their receiver disabled their phone system?

Not saying this is definitely your issue but I have seen this happen if the phone line is plugged in to the network port on the receiver and not the phone line jack.

This is likely the cause. You may never know. Glad it works now!

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I did Directv installations for many years. As part of the installation I ran many phone lines. There were occasional defective DirecTv receivers that would dump the phone system..... DT returned when the receiver was removed. A replacement receiver worked & did not interrupt dial tone (DT). So you are not wrong to consider the receiver as a possible problem. What HIFI suggested has also become a problem with or without Directv receivers. There is a CAT 5 port on computers and some receivers. This is bigger than the smaller (CAT 3) fitting used on two pair phone lines. Users can inadvertently plug their phone line into a network port.

As a phone tech, one of my trickiest issues was repairing a phone system with this issue. If I just pulled the incorrect plug and cured the problem customers would feel stupid and angry, resenting the cost of the service call. So I would first check every other outlet and maybe change out the oldest one or provide a new cord somewhere. Then I would switch the phone line from the network port and bring back DT.

You did a perfect trouble shooting sequence; very logical. Those ports should be color coded.

Another possibility still remains. Examine the line serving the DVR. It could have been run by a DirecTv tech. There could be a loose connection where it is jumped from another phone outlet or at the telephone network interface device (NID). See if you can interrupt DT by shaking wires.

Joe

Last edited:
Start by the basics. Is there a Security alarm system in this place? Are you using POTS (Plain Old Telephone System), or a VoIP or Digital phone service there? How old is the outside DeMarc? If you do not know what a DeMarc or NID is, this link can help show you what they look like. http://pre-wire.tripod.com/interfaces_and_protectors.html

Bad wiring can cause the problem that you are having. Without physically looking at each jack, there is no way to tell. I have even seen where mice & furry tree rats have chewed through enough, that the line works when nothing is plugged in. But as soon as you plug something in, all hell breaks loose and you cannot use the phone.

From the symptom described, I had the same problem with my D11 box. I'm not familiar with the internal layout but I think the Modem Card (or equivalent) was seizing my phone line, no dialtone.

I went thru the house, eliminating devices, and when I disconnected the phone line from the D11 box, dialtone returned. I left the phone line disconnected since I don't need the D11 Caller ID function and don't order PPV via the box.

FWIW, I work for a phone company's repair department and got a report from one of our techs that he's been on three POTs troubles this past week where the customer was hearing squealing/modem tones on the line and they narrowed it down to the DISH/DirectTV receiver. I don't know which cause our tech probably doesn't even know the difference. Anyway, I was thinking maybe a recent software update might have messed up something in the phone connection where it keeps wanting to either dial out or answer the phone line.

Guys, IF the DT is coming back once a connection is removed (recvr disconnected) then there is a short on the line, it is either the recvr modem that is causing it, or you have a phone that is going bad ... A phone that has trouble on it, usually a short, will cause this issue, often times the bad phone WILL work when you plug it back in, even though it has trouble, normally the phone goes back out after a short time ...

That said, I believe it's either the cord connecting the recvr, or the recvr itself.

I appreciate the various replies. The March 19th software update did cross my mind. However the unit has worked until yesterday when we returned from our cabin. The cabin phone doesn't have caller id so I don't plug in a phone line while there.

I'm aware of the ease of accidentally plugging the phone line into an Ethernet jack so care was taken to avoid this mistake. Also during the initial troubleshooting process I replaced the phone line and DSL filters.
It sounds like the problem is not unheard of so I'll keep monitoring. No problem for the past 24+ hours. However, as mentioned, if there's a pending problem with the cordless phone system it might return. Years ago I had this experience with a failing phone.

I will mention the receiver only identifies the calling number if two DSL filters are used. With one filter it knows there's an incoming call but cant' identify the number. It's been that way since my previous receiver was replaced with the HR22.

My next step, if no success, was to try the receiver at a neighbor's house... see if it caused the same problem.

Last edited:
I appreciate the various replies. The March 19th software update did cross my mind. However the unit has worked until yesterday when we returned from our cabin. The cabin phone doesn't have caller id so I don't plug in a phone line while there.

I'm aware of the ease of accidentally plugging the phone line into an Ethernet jack so care was taken to avoid this mistake. Also during the initial troubleshooting process I replaced the phone line and DSL filters.
It sounds like the problem is not unheard of so I'll keep monitoring. No problem for the past 24+ hours. However, as mentioned, if there's a pending problem with the cordless phone system it might return. Years ago I had this experience with a failing phone.

I will mention the receiver only identifies the calling number if two DSL filters are used. With one filter it knows there's an incoming call but cant' identify the number. It's been that way since my previous receiver was replaced with the HR22.

My next step, if no success, was to try the receiver at a neighbor's house... see if it caused the same problem.
This makes NO sense ...

Keep us updated.

The ONLY CID issue I ever heard of....some DirecTv receivers...not a DVR....don't know which manufacturer.......the CID would not work unless the system was grounded. I got a SC to go ground a system & the CID did work after making the connection...stopped when disconnected. Never heard of that again.

System grounded?

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)