Plugging time warner into Direct DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

andreah1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Hi all, a friend of mine is bugging the you know what out of me with this particular question. I'm pretty resourceful but can't find an answer anywhere. She has Directv (dvr, not sure which one but probably whatever comes free with the install) but cannot get local channels so has to purchase them thru Time Warner. Is there a way to plug the Time Warner into the Directv DVR so she would be able to record local channels on it? Or, would she have to request another DVR thru Time Warner?

Why does she need Time Warner Cable if she has DirecTV? She should be able to get her locals with D*. She just has to pay I think its 5-10dollars a month for locals.

No, she has been turned down for locals. I think the only one she was allowed was cbs. She has called numerous times to Dtv begging for the locals and they won't budge.

No, she has been turned down for locals. I think the only one she was allowed was cbs. She has called numerous times to Dtv begging for the locals and they won't budge.

Maybe they are not availbale thru D* for here yet.
How about trying an OTA antenna ?

No, they aren't available and it will be a very long time until they are, it's a very small "city". Dtv came and tried an ota antenna and it wouldn't pick up anything.

Help your friend "move" here account to the nearest city w/D* locals & she will NOT need TW any longer - do a search on "moving" & read about it. ;)

I didn't find anything, guess I'll tell her to deal with it herself! : )

She's 4 miles from all the networks via OTA. Buy a cheap antenna and plug it into the DVR (depending on which one she has) and she will be happy.

andreah1
Please tell us the model number of the dvr.

As I said in my first question, a Dtv technician came and put up an OTA and they were unable to pull anything in. I live way out in the country and am unable to pull them in either from around here. Too many trees and mountains, etc. I don't know the model of the DVR I'll ask her on Monday, I only see her at work. I'm betting it's a r15 though.

A modern DIRECTV DVR will NOT record cable channels.

It doesn't matter if the DVR in question is SD, HD or somewhere in between.

Thanks, that pretty much answers it! I guess she could get a dvr from Time Warner and just stack them together! I'll leave it up to her.

As I said in my first question, a Dtv technician came and put up an OTA and they were unable to pull anything in. I live way out in the country and am unable to pull them in either from around here. Too many trees and mountains, etc. I don't know the model of the DVR I'll ask her on Monday, I only see her at work. I'm betting it's a r15 though.

If you go to antennaweb.org, and punch in the address, it will tell you the type of antenna you need and which direction to point it. I live in the mountains, over 50 miles from my locals, and receive them all. I have a directional antenna and a preamp, in my attic.

It can be done, it just takes more than a D* technician spending five minutes with a cheap antenna......

I'll let her know that. I got the main question answered I guess, it can't be done the way she wants. Thanks for all your help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts