Pocket Dish: FeedBack, Marketing Sucks!

Tekken

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
I expect to get flamed on this post but keep in mind opinions are like A*holes, everyone has them. I disagree with throwing corporate money away on a product that will never marketed itself based on the peer to peer referrals from consumer to potential consumer feedback.

Like the launch of the DNS brand HD televisions, I don't see this idea taking off simply because the device is not compatible with the customers needs or ideas of what this device should do.

I've found the most effective marketing strategy for selling this product to a customer is saying im sorry Mr/Mrs, the product is brand new and I know nothing about it because I know the answer to the majority of their questions concerning this device is "No, it will not do that!"

To get the big picture on what a PocketDish is, its basically the same thing as a CD with a series of movies, video games, or music files burned onto it you can carry with you and watch only on the hand held display device. Can you say GameBoy with a capital No You Can't Plug This Device Into Any Media Player To View It's Contents On Screen! Id rather pay $10 for 100 CD's I can burn and take with me to view on someone elses media player while I sit back and play my Gameboy on my way there.

If this was my marketing idea here is what I would have done!

Take in the whole picture, for years people who live in the rural areas have been our primary supporters mainly because of the cost of running new land lines and until recently the interference of the unwelcomed thunder storms. We all know where there is rural culture, there is hunters so think about this while I invite you into my mind!

INCORPORATE RELATIONSHIPS:
Integrate two USB ports in the Pocketdish for use with thirdparty components. thumb drives for extra storage capacity and HD quality programming, that super small USB camera, a wireless USB internet protocol, h*ll why not plug a motion detector in with that camera?

OPERATION FIX EXISTING PROBLEMS:
To ge rid of all the old DNS HDTV's and possibly reopen the market I would install DNS MOD chips to make the HDTV's compatible in displaying encrypted MPEG4 pocketdish media thus avoiding any direct hit by antipiracy people like myself. We wouldn't want to be the next N*pster would we? This would offer a legitimate means of quality fullscreen programming for true subscribers using the PocketDish.

ESPIONAGE SALES SCENARIO:
Mr. I think my wife is cheating on me just bought a Pocketdish so he could record all his favorite football programming to take to work and show the guys during lunch(peer to peer marketing). He realizes hey, I can create this thing into a personal video camera and see whats messing my side of the bed up while im at work if I buy the right addons. To his relief he finds his dogs the culprit for the bunched up covers and little black hairs on his side of the bed.

Mr. Ima get me a great big buck this year mounts his pocketdish inside a weather proof box thats mounted on a tree near his illegal deer feeder with a motion detector and USB cam. he finds the best time for him to go hunting is around 8pm just before dark and 5am just before light. He landed him a 12 point buck that season from reviewing what he found recorded on his pocket dish!

Mrs. I just had a baby wants to record every move of her new born son makes but doesn't want to buy a $400 camcorder when she already has that supermega tekkens version of the PocketDish, she buys her a camera addon and fills up 20 thumb drives of quality I love my kiddy videos.

Mrs. President of her company is concerned about outdoor security, she calls up DNS for advice. DNS installed 4 Pocketdish camcorders around the premises in those cool little domes that hide the directional positioning of her pocketdish but someone took a ladder and stole it off the side of her building. no worries because with the second usb port the thief displayed a perfect facial image that was saved to an in office computer that helped bust the criminal.

If you want to flame me on this post feel free to call me in person or leave a message, my number is 704-591-3374

The possibilities are endless and the product would market itself, call me crazy but id rather make money then throw it away on something I think is currently useless.

-= Ken

The Pocket dish indeed has its flaws, however it does do what it is advertised to do which is copy shows from your DVR to the PocketDish for enjoyment when you are away from a TV and it does it well.

The big flaws are the ease of use on other features such as copy videos from your PC to the PocketDish and even copying and listening to MP3's to the pocketdish is a chore.

The funny thing is these issues CAN be fixed, the question is does Dish Network want to.

If I were Dish I would get on the ball. Yesterday I caught wind from one on my DirecTV contacts that at CES they will be releasing their own version of the PocketDish idea, and from the description I was given I would not be surprised if the DirecTV models can do HDTV.

I first saw the PocketDish almost 2 years ago (they were calling it the DishPod back then) Its a shame that they are just releasing it now, and it's also a shame that they released so in such a user unfriendly state.

The biggest flaw with the pocket dish (IMHO) is that unless you have a 942 or any other receiver with USB2, you're going to be yanking stuff off at realtime (analog) or slower than realtime (USB1)..

Back in the days Rio released a player called the Riot that had that problem as well, it was bigger than a game gear and only had USB1..

To you it may be useless but think of all of us that travel I record a bunch of movies of HBO ect. put on my Pocketdish and go for free un like video ipod which is counting on $1.99 for last nights TV show.

Don't forget about soccer mom keeping the little brat quiet in the back of the mini van.
As for marketing I just got off the phone with a reporter from our local paper that Dish sent him one to reveiw.

*sigh* I bet you think the only way to get music on the ipod is to buy it from itunes at $1 a song too :p

OoTLink said:
*sigh* I bet you think the only way to get music on the ipod is to buy it from itunes at $1 a song too :p

Just pointing out that I know why they limit Pocketdish to self veiw only :)

I like what its intended for but I to think that it should be changed to allow you to plug it into a tv considering that there are more and more vans and suv's with 12 inch and up lcd tv's in them now or for those of us who travel and stay in hotels theres the hotel tv. This aside its the first year model run and just as the slingbox it has growing pains to work through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts