PocketDish Review - Another SatelliteGuys First Look!

BTW I just got a note from Claude at DishStore.NET and he has a large shipment of the 7 inch models coming in to DishStore tommorow.

As soon as he has them I will post a link to DishStore where you can order one.

Scott Greczkowski said:
BTW I just got a note from Claude at DishStore.NET and he has a large shipment of the 7 inch models coming in to DishStore tommorow.

As soon as he has them I will post a link to DishStore where you can order one.
How 'bout buy a 942 get the 7" free?

Scott Greczkowski said:
It stores it as dpd files. There is no player out there which can play these files on a PC. The files are encrypted and you need a DES key from the 942 to decode these files.

I would love to see it so that you could watch on a PC, but I don't think its going to happen for a long while.
Is the DES key unique to a 942 users' account? Can a file on your 942 be transferred to your PC then transferred to somebody else then loaded into their player?

Of course the big advantage and main purpose of these units is being able to sync with your dish DVR. But if the picture is grainy, photo look horrible and mp3's are hit or miss, I think I will stay with my PSP for now. I can put 2 full length movies, ripped off a DVD on a 1gb memory stick, and jpegs and mp3s are flawless. The picture is perfect on the PSP's widescreen. It is sad that such a good idea falls short. The grainy picture is unacceptable IMO.

http://www.neurosaudio.com/store/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=DigitalInnovationsCatalog&product%5Fid=4030200&keyword=psp&searchcat=products&cookie%5Ftest=1

mikew said:
Is the DES key unique to a 942 users' account? Can a file on your 942 be transferred to your PC then transferred to somebody else then loaded into their player?

Yes the key is unique. I'm not sure if its stored in the 942s eeprom or on the hard drive. Noone has found it yet. So far the guys over at dishrip (yahoo groups, dishrip) have been able to extract the recorded streams from the 721/921/942 but the stream is still encrypted. They do this by removing the HD and hooking it to your PC. Of course, lots of voided warranty there :).

Its possible that the file is decrypted before being sent to the pocketdish, and some other DRM is being used. I agree with Scott though, it will be awhile, if ever, till we see a way to copy recordings to our PC.

mikew said:

Not sure, I am going to try this out soon, my 7 inch PocketDish shipped today. :)

Mikew said:
Scott Greczkowski said:
Not sure, I am going to try this out soon, my 7 inch PocketDish shipped today. :)
According to this FAQ in the PDF Scott uploaded a couple weeks ago, the answer is NO.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=6683

Question: Can I take content from my DISH Network DVR put it on my PocketDISH, then transfer it to and play it back on a computer?

Answer: You can transfer content from a PocketDISH to store on your computer, but you may not play it back on your computer, or anywhere but the originating PocketDISH.

Today I received a 7 inch PocketDish from DishStore.NET. With all that was going on today I didn't get much time to play with it.

But I will say one thing, this thing is HUGE and HEAVY. It should be illegal to call this thing a Pocket anything, as I know of no pair of pants anywhere which could fit this machine in it. :)

I talked to Claude from DishStore today and he tells me that these are going quickly. If you want one now and want it fast trust DishStore for your PocketDish needs. :)

(BTW thanks Claude for sending my unit overnight saturday delivery!)

I have the 30 GB video iPod and it is, indeed, pretty cool.

The internal software and iTunes are a bit buggy in sorting out which folder to place your video downloads. Perhaps iTunes 6.1 will follow soon.

The new iPod is VERY fussy about accepting video files -- I created several that met the new spec, they played in iTunes and in QuickTime Player, but would not sync and transfer to the new iPod. The iTunes app itself really needs a "Convert to iPod" function for video files you place into iTunes. I finally downloaded QuickTime Pro 7 and used its Covert to iPod fuction -- very slow and no way to adjust the setting so the resulting file is not as small as I would like -- but, the files look beautiful on that little screen. Most of the apps on the Web that claim to convert video to iPod format simply do not work (I tried several). If you have a Mac, use iMovie. If you have Windows, use QTP7. Maybe alternatives will appear over the next few weeks.

However, the Dish Players have potential -- maybe the second generation units will address the many issues of these first gen models. The new iPod has it's weaknesses as well.

One thing is for sure, portable digital video players are going mainstream big time over the next 12 months. All content providers need to realize this and plan accordingly.

Maybe Christmas 2006 will see issue-free Dish Players that sync with the new MPEG-4 receivers -- something fun to look forward to.

David Dietzel said:
However, the Dish Players have potential -- maybe the second generation units will address the many issues of these first gen models. The new iPod has it's weaknesses as well.
The thing of it is the PocketDish CAN be a great item with its current generation, as the hardware is fine, its the software which is the issue.

Even the fact that it can't play MPEGs and Standard AVI's can be fixed with a firmware update.

Since I was working on the board all weekend I didn't get much time to play with the 7 Inch PocketDISH unit much, Part of me likes the 2.2 inch version more because it fits in my pocket, but the 7 Inch is a lot more powerfull then the 2.2 inch unit and has additional features which makes it very worthwhile. :)

BTW guys I am trying to get DishStore.NET to offer SatelliteGuys pub members a special POWERBUY on the 7 inch PocketDISH wish me luck. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
The thing of it is the PocketDish CAN be a great item with its current generation, as the hardware is fine, its the software which is the issue.
Can't this statement be applied to anything produced by Echostar?

Actually in Dish Networks defense, this is an Archos problem not a Dish Network problem. It is Archos who needs to make user friendly software, the success of the product is in their hands, not Dish Networks.

If you are a pub member, please check the pub member forum for a VERY SPECIAL SatelliteGuys / DishStore.NET PocketDish POWER BUY!

DishStore.NET has offered us 40 units at a VERY special price!

Tommorow if there are any units left at this price point we will make the deal available to the General public.

I saw a commercial for the Nov. 14th Tech Forum last night, and pocketdish was featured in it. Said they'd show it off a bit. No mention of MPEG-4 but it's kind of hard to put that into a commercial...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)