Point Dish Elevation question

vsromero

Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Fresno, CA
I live in Fresno, CA and I have a VIP722 with the Dish 1000.2 and I've been having weak signal strength problems. I've had Dish Network service for over 2 years now. The dish is mounted on my patio ledge at my apartment and there is a tree that has been in front of the dish ever since I've had the service which hasn't really been a problem until just recently. In fact, the tree was recently trimmed a couple of months ago.

Well, yesterday the signal strength was so bad, due to the very cloudy skies and rainy weather, that I had to call Dish Network to see what they could do to fix the problem. They sent a technician out yesterday evening (yes, the same day on a Sunday evening) to troubleshoot the problem. The technician did determine that it was the tree that is in front of the dish that is causing the weak signal strength and he said that I needed to have that tree trimmed even lower in order for the signal strength to be back to where it is supposed to be.

After the technician left, I noticed that he had adjusted the dish very low to where it seemed to be a lot lower than before. So I tried to adjust it back to where I thought it should be by using just the tightening marks that are on the bracket when it worked better but now I think I messed up the actual Elevation and Azimuth angle settings.

Here's my question, what is the easiest way to set the Elevation and Azimuth angles to the proper angle? I want to try and do this myself without having to spend too much to get this done. I did find the website dishpointer.com but I haven't searched it thoroughly enough to find this out. I do know that the Azimuth angle is 156 and the Elevation is 46 degrees. Am I on the right track?

All help and assistance is greatly appreciated.

A technician adjust your dish, and then you feel the need to fix it yourself... My suggestion.. Call Dish and PAY the tech to come back and fix it.. Then don't touch it.. :)

Elevation and Azimuth are subjective to where you are and how level your pole are.. You can only generalize them. Do not get hung up on what they are set on.. Key to all is that service is working. If the tech tells you the tree is causing problems he probably knows what he is talking about..

I think what the OP meant was that the technician came out, declared a LOS issue due to tree growth, maladjusted the dish so that it was even worse than before, and left. I would have tried getting it back to where it was too.

Not all techs are competent; some do more damage than you can possibly imagine unless you've seen it first hand.

I think what the OP meant was that the technician came out, declared a LOS issue due to tree growth, maladjusted the dish so that it was even worse than before, and left. I would have tried getting it back to where it was too.

Not all techs are competent; some do more damage than you can possibly imagine unless you've seen it first hand.

Couldn't agree more....Had a tech do a visiual from ground level on a dish on the roof an point to a tree over a hundred feet away and say that is causing "rain fade"

While the OP hasn't bothered to reply, I'm wondering if maybe you guys are being a little hard on the Tech. If the Elevation is now "a lot lower that before" and if there is a LOS issue, I doubt the OP would have any signal at all. The fact that the OP second guessed the Tech and tried to "adjust it back" and now he thinks he "messed up" could mean a lot of things, but I'm thinking he made things worse.
I'm thinking the Tech re-plumbed the mast (or pole) and of course had the re-adjust the Elevation for best signal.
That's my 2 cents until we get more info from the OP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)