Pointing a Dish1000

malcarese said:
i get

129 =70%
119=113%
110=111%

my quesiton is i dont understand the transponder thing, for instance 129 for on only 5 different transponders and 119 on 5 others ? they arent picking up a singal on all the same transponders ? is this correct with the rest of u guys? or should i be realigning my dish1000 with a specific transponder on 119 ? im confused , i do pickup everthing . please help

There are some TPs that are Spotbeams so you will not get any signal on those. For 119 and 110 use TPs 11 and 12 for signal strength. For 129, use TP 15.

I got mine installed on 3/22. My readings are horrible compared to everybody else's posted here. I got

110=70%
119=79% (TP11) and 73% (TP12)
129=60%

I got all channels but may lose the Voom channels when there are thick clouds and heavy rains. So far this happened only once or twice as I recall.

The installation was done by a local retailer, after a Dish crew came and declared "no line of sight" the day before. There are two tall trees in front of my apt, but at the elevation of 45 degrees I think there is a clear line of sight. That should be why the local retailer succeeded.

I have the following questions/concerns:

1) I don't see them grounding the antenna. Would this be a big problem? The 1000 is mounted on a mast and is below the edge of the roof.

2) I didn't see them applying sealant. Is it necessary? The mast is installed on a solid wooden structure attached to the fence.

3) Should I ask them to come again and re-point the antenna? I only watch HD channels so 110 and 119 are important to me. If I can get 70s on 129, I'll be satisfied. Or should I try fine-tuning the 1000 myself?

Thanks!

john

What's your location John? People in the Pacific Northwest and West coast in general are having low readings from 129. In your case readings from 119 and 110 should be higher, at least in the 90s. Unless those branches are really blocking the signal.

Call Dish Network and tell them that your system is not grounded. Also, tell them that you keep losing signal when there is heavy rain and tell them your readings. They should send someone to take care of the issues. Take care of it now that it's a recent install.

Thanks, Randall.

I'm in the Bay Area (94305). The techies told me that anything above 50% should work fine. I was thrilled to have the dish installed (after the first crew declared "no line of sight") so I never questioned about the signal strength.

The tree branches may be a problem. I've surveyed my apt so well that I know the current spot is not the best to clear the trees.

Is grounding really necessary (or mandatory)? I think it's more of a safety concern than anything else, right?

Finally, should I contact the retailer (a.k.a. the installer) or Dish Network if I want a fine-tuning and grounding done?

Thanks,
john

malcarese said:
i get

129 =70%
119=113%
110=111%

my quesiton is i dont understand the transponder thing, for instance 129 for on only 5 different transponders and 119 on 5 others ? they arent picking up a singal on all the same transponders ? is this correct with the rest of u guys? or should i be realigning my dish1000 with a specific transponder on 119 ? im confused , i do pickup everthing . please help
yes..E* uses different transponders on the various sats..Not to worry....

The transponders you want to be most concerned with on 119 are tp 11,19 and 20....11 is the "default tp...19 and 20 are the "home "tp's....Receivers when first Connected download off these two tp's...on the 110.. look at 11,22 and 29.....

many of guys from office have so much trouble pointing the dish1000. I can get it most of the time. Its either i get 129 or 119/110. There had been some rumors from management that about the size of the dish being a little smaller than planned and that the skew and elevation was off. I install the second dish now for hd programming and most of the time the customer doesnt care about the second dish.

blocker said:
Thanks, Randall.

I'm in the Bay Area (94305). The techies told me that anything above 50% should work fine. I was thrilled to have the dish installed (after the first crew declared "no line of sight") so I never questioned about the signal strength.

Thanks,
john

You've been snookered. If you're on the west coast the best way to point a D1000 is towards the trash can.

Pointing a Dish 1000

Buy the looks of these notes, I think I am happy cause they did not have a Dish 1000. I ended up with a second dish aimed only at 129. Even that signal is only in the 60s. They said they would come out again when they get in the 1000s. I hope they don't call me. I have marginal signals on 110 and 119 already.

Last edited: