Pointing a Dish1000

Tom Bombadil said:
And how long of a lifespan would my old legacy gear be expected to have? Some of it is now 8 years old. It continues to work fine.

Possibly, for 30 years plus. Some old satellites more than 30 years old in the harsh environment of space, still function. It's dust on the solar cells, dying batteries, corroded connections, lack of fuel, and problems with mechanical actuators that usually cause satellites to die.

I install a lot of the latest technology switches and lnb's.

But, for me, I have a legacy quad on a Dish1000, with a single lnb on the 129 mount cascaded via an sw21 for my new 211. My other receivers are a 522 and an old 2800 hooked to a stand alone TiVo.

Just like with most electronics, failures usually occur early in their lives.

As long as weather doesn't get into places it shouldn't, the stuff is likely to work for decades.

Is there any kind of table for the Dish 1000, like with the Dish500 & 119/110 for elevation, skew and azimuth?

If not, does anybody know what the values would be for zip 74501?

Is there also a table for a single dish pointing at 129? Because I can get a 2nd Dish500 from my neighbor and need elevation and azimuth for 129.

rixhd said:
Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck.
Sorry for the late update...The tech did show up on Thursday, Feb 16th and birdogged the 129 sat on the Dish 1000 but it was little if no help. So I sent an e-mail to ceo@echostar.com on Sunday evening, Feb 19th telling them my displeasure with the reception I receive on the 129 satellite and no one being able to help my situation. The very next day, Monday, Feb 20th I received a call from a Dish recommended shop from Marysville, WA and ask me if it was OK to send out a tech to my house to evaluate my situation and run some tests. The tech arrived and discussed the problems I was having with the 129 satellite reception. He then tried the various tests to check signal readings which he admitted were low but equal to others in the Puget Sound region. So he called his boss and talked over the situation and ask me if I would go with a separate dedicated 129 sat dish. He then used a Dish 500 with 300 mounting hardware to properly mount the 129 LNB from the Dish 1000 to the dedicated dish for the 129 satellite. The tech readjusted the skew and made the fine point adj back to the 119 satellite. The tech then setup the dedicated 129 sat dish with much improved readings. I took readings of the 129 satellite with a Dish 411 HD receiver on the various channels and transponders between 6:45 pm and 7:05 pm Monday, Feb 20th as follows:
ESPN2 HD...TP19...73%__UNIHD 9426...TP19...80%__UNIHD 9427...TP19...80%__Rave...TP30...69%__Equator HD...TP23...69%__Gallery HD...TP3...71%__Treasure HD...TP11...67%__Animania HD...TP23...76%__World Cinema HD...TP11...69%__Rush HD...TP3...73%__World Sport HD...TP11...69%__Ultra HD...TP31...82%__Kung Fu...TP30...75%__Film Fest HD...TP3...75%__Monster HD...TP23...78%__HD News...TP30...75%__Game Play HD...TP31...83%__Family HD...TP31...83%__D1000...TP17...78%.
As you can see the transponder readings have increased but you can also see the variations of readings from certain transponders taken during the 20 minute time period. Although the dedicated 129 sat dish does help in preventing rain fade it does not stop signals that read in the upper 70's and lower 80's to drop within 45 minutes into the mid 30's and then unlock the signal.

Pinkey2u:

You're one step ahead of me.

Sounds like the second dish didn't really solve the problem. Are you going to email the results to Dish CEO? I have been emailing a tech rep at Dish about the same problem. She just keeps telling me that we (the northwest, west coast, Texas, etc.) are on the edge of the satellite footprint and there is nothing they can do about it. Sorry for the inconvenience.

My last email told her it was more than an inconvenience and it was not acceptable. I asked her if Dish was working on a solution? I also asked her to forward my email to anyone that might have an answer. So far no reply.

My next step was to install a second Dish. I had just gathered all the parts I needed from my old Dish 500 and 300. Your results have dampened my expectations. I encourage you to send the results to Dish CEO. Please post any results. I'm beginning to think they need one HD satellite dedicated to each coast.

Thanks for the input.

Just had the dish 1000 installed on Feb. 24th along with my vip 622 to go along with a vip 211 and a 501. Dish allowed me to lease both the 622 and the 211. Also, normally the dish 1000 is not offered in our dma johnstown/altoona. But i am right on the borderline with a zip code at 15845, so we decided to give it a shot. Everything seems to be working well. the dish 1000 replaced a dish 500.

I'm in Newport OR I'm using the dish1000 i get in the 67-80 on the tran for 129 thy are all good for about 45Min and then i loose lock and the sing is at 39 and takes about 1-4min and is back up to 67-80 for another 45min what is with the time is the sat power going up and down every 45min.

This sounds like my locals coming on TP1 at 119 as spotbeam, that fluctuates between 79-96 signal and it doesn't depend on the weather either.

fubar21 said:
I'm in Newport OR I'm using the dish1000 i get in the 67-80 on the tran for 129 thy are all good for about 45Min and then i loose lock and the sing is at 39 and takes about 1-4min and is back up to 67-80 for another 45min what is with the time is the sat power going up and down every 45min.

Fubar have you talked with Dish support? What are they saying?

ralfyguy said:
I start to believe that the Dish1000 is a design flaw itself.

As RandallA mentioned above E5 was not designed for 129 and has pointing issues. E5/129 is really a temporary solution anyways. 129 belongs to Canada and a satellite is being built for that location. Towards the end of 2008 I believe Dish will have to surrender the slot.

Dish is building Ku-AUX and Ka band satellites now. They will probably move the 129 programming to those satellites in a couple years. Not to mention they are trying to get a new Ku-DBS slot approved like 105 between 101 and 110. But, there are interference issues to be worked out and such and it may never happen.

Others have suggested that once E10 is up and running, Dish might move one of the current satellites at 110 to the 129 slot.

Either way, 129 needs to be replaced and it surprises me that E* keeps adding channels to this satellite.

So basically the consensus here is that Dish is knowingly selling the D1000 and associated programming that can be only marginally received on the West Coast.

This company seems a bit "ethically challenged"

downriver said:
So basically the consensus here is that Dish is knowingly selling the D1000 and associated programming that can be only marginally received on the West Coast.

I don't believe it is limited to the West Coast. Anywhere that gets a lot of rain is going to have problems with a D1000 staying locked on 129. I don't think your readings from 129 are much different than what others are seeing. The West Coast is well positioned to pull in 129.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)