Pointing a Dish1000

After living with a D1000 for about a month, I'm going to put my 61.5 back up. Dish will not do it for me so I'm going to purchase it and do it my self.

RandallA is correct. The bird at 129 is old and tired.

E* is thinking beyond the next calendar quarter (amazing in and of itself!) with channel placement. In fact, that department is about the ONLY one in E* that actually has a clue as to what they are doing.

U remember all the screaming about 105 - then they got a newer bird into that slot and things improved. Same thing's gonna happen with 129 - at which point the D1000 will be just fine.

it can be a clear day and no wind and i still loose 129 every 30-45min i changed the hole dish with a new one new lnbs everything still the same.

fubar21 said:
it can be a clear day and no wind and i still loose 129 every 30-45min i changed the hole dish with a new one new lnbs everything still the same.

Sounds like the present 129 bird has just enough wobble to cause its main beam pattern to move away from your northwest CONUS location. If that is the case, there is nothing you can do short of going to a larger (36+") separate dish and pointing it at 129 to get all the gain you can. If you do this, you will still see rhythmic fluctuations, but signal strength should be above the threshold of dropping lock.

Last edited:
New member here, howdy

I just got a VIP211 and the Dish 1000 and like everyone else I am having troubles with 129.
After reading comments here and on other BBs I've decided to try using one of my old Dish 500s for a separate 129 dish.

I have a couple of newbie questions..
Do the LNBs use polarizing like the old C-band dishes or does that not matter to these LNBs?
Would it work to get an old 6' or so C-band dish and mount an LNB at prime focus.

Seems like that would give you a lot of gain. Maybe to much?

Greg: A Dish500 with an "I" adapter (to center the LNB) just might be enough.

DBS LNBs use circular polarization - not the linear that C-Band and FSS use.

There are other considerations with the LNBs, also, but many have sucessfully mounted E* LNBs to big dishes.

I currently have the dish 1000 and a 500 dish pointing at 61.5. I am getting 113% on the 119, 108% on the 110 , 103% on the 61.5, but only 58% on the 129 all on the 622 receiver. I am located at zip 15845 and the settings for the dish are az. 241, el 27, sk 126. Do you think i should try to tweak the settings and try to bring the 129 up higher , which i know if i do will bring the 119 & 110 strength lower, if so, any recommendations on what to change, skew, elevation or azimuth. Thanks for any suggestions, Pajer

This thread has been really helpful as I consider switching my Dish 500 (110/119), Dish 300 (61.5) DSP34 setup to a Dish 1000 (1110/119/129) and Dish 300 (61.5) DSP44 setup. I live in Minnesota. Seems from this thread that if I key off 110/119 and am willing to incur some weather related dropouts on 129, I won't loose all that much signal strength on 110/119. That's what I'm thinking at least. I assume this will all work with a 211 and several 508's?

Can anyone tell me how my receiver(s), particularly my 211, "decides" which satellite (61.5 or 129) get a particular channel from, if that channel is mirrored on both 61.5 and 129?

Thanks

I put my first one in yesterday. Adding a 411/301 and a dish 1000. It took 5 hours, because I had to redo some of the installation. I couldn't get a signal at all from his original 500 location, so I put his 500 back up, and moved the 1000 to the west end of the house. I got High 40's, low 50's max. LOS issues. We picked out a spot where we feel confident that we have a shot at this bird. I spoke with dish technical, and they had me adjust the skew and elevation, but they wouldn't---or couldn't tell me the settings to point the whole dish directly at that 129. With skew at 90 degrees, I found the bird with my elevation at 35. When the guy sets his post, I will mount that LNB over in the middle and use the dish 1000 for just the 129. I'm hoping for more gain here.

Unlike some of these guys, I gave the dude my phone number, and asked him to give me 48 hours heads up so I could take the day off and not be rushed.

Thanks!

Do you, or anyone, know where I can find what programming is on 129? I looked at the lyngsat www pages and it seems 129 is purely for (1) mirroring the HD channels that aren't on 110/119, selected SD locals, and selected HD locals. Anything else besides that on 129?

Tried to tweak mine a little more today, and the sucker just drove me nuts. On TP11 I could gain from 71 to 76+. So I tighten down the nuts, and wife confirms still at 76. Have her check some other TP's, and the best shows 88-89. So I don't touch it anymore and get down the ladder. 10 minutes later I check again and TP11 is down to 69 and the other went down to 81, whereas others went up 2-3 points or more. another 15 minutes later. TP11 is at 74, and the other is still down at around 81-83, and the rest is down about 5 points. I didn't touch the dish, and it's a clear sky and no wind whatsoever. WTF?????:mad: :mad: :mad:

ralfyguy,

That's exactly what happened to me. It will show let's say 82 when I'm on the roof, I will come down the roof and check again and it will be at 76 or 75. I just said to hell with this 129 piece of s....

The signal keeps fluctuating up and down so it's very hard to know if the dish is peaked or not.

RandallA said:
ralfyguy,

That's exactly what happened to me. It will show let's say 82 when I'm on the roof, I will come down the roof and check again and it will be at 76 or 75. I just said to hell with this 129 piece of s....

The signal keeps fluctuating up and down so it's very hard to know if the dish is peaked or not.

Hahaha, good to know that I am not alone. Man, I got so mad, because I didn't think I touched anything on the way down, getting off the roof. Thanks for letting me know, I about went insane the last 2 days....I give up too..yes it is a POS!

What sucks is the fact, that the weakest TP's on 129 are the ones for the voom programming. Why can't they move it to TP's like 5,6,9,12,16,20 instead of 3,11,19,23,30,31 as it is right now? Would solve some signal problems.:confused:

talk000 said:
Claude

I also live it upstate SC and get upper 60s on 129 with the 1000. I get 80s and 90s on 110 and 100+ on 119. I will lose 129 in a good rain as the signal drops to the mid 40s. Have only had the 1000 a few weeks. When the installers got higher numbers on the 129 signal, 110 would not come in. The only problem I ran into was they said the 1000 was aiming 3 degrees lower (34 vs. 37) than the 500 and I ended up topping two trees to play it safe

Dish installed the upgrade for free so I do not know a lot about the guys who did it. It took them a long time and they had to reinstall some screws in the mount to get everything to work. Mine is on the edge of the roof over the garage. I assume they knew what they were doing.

PS. I do not think they sealed around the new screws. Should I put something on these for waterproofing?
it is inexcusable to NOT seal roof penetrations...I guess the guys that installed your system like lawsuits...
Get a tube of GE silicone and apply the stuff on each bolt(there should be 6) and all around the edge of the mast foot.....

Tom Bombadil said:
A question.

My dish setup is all self-installed, all legacy gear. I have a D500 with a legacy twin and a D300, tied through SW21s into two lines that run into my house and eventually both into a 942.

If I replace my 942 with a 622, Dish might offer to install a D1000. Won't know until I make the call. Since I have only 1 receiver and technically need to acquire only three orbital positions, would the installer likely use only a DP21? Or is that even required on a D1000?

It seems unlikely that I would get a DPP44. And if I don't then I don't see how I could keep my D300 pointing at 61.5 in the mix (I know I would have to get a new Dishpro LNB for it).

I don't know how I could make a case that it is mandatory that I have equipment that has to access four orbital positions or drive multiple receivers. My locals are at 121, so maybe I could say I might need to access this in the future. Or maybe I should sub to Sky Angel for one month at 61.5?

And how long of a lifespan would my old legacy gear be expected to have? Some of it is now 8 years old. It continues to work fine.

A D-1000 kit comes with DP34 switch standard....To get a DPP 44 there must be issues with the difficulty in routing a second cable to a dual tuner..Such as if a dual tuner is located on an inside wall in a slab built house...Or if the home has a distribution panel located in the interior of the house and getting an additional cable to the panel is not possible..The tech at that point calls DN for a w/o modification....That provided his employer(if a sub) or DNSC allows the tech to roll with those switches on their truck..I am fortunate to have these switches at all times...

i get

129 =70%
119=113%
110=111%

my quesiton is i dont understand the transponder thing, for instance 129 for on only 5 different transponders and 119 on 5 others ? they arent picking up a singal on all the same transponders ? is this correct with the rest of u guys? or should i be realigning my dish1000 with a specific transponder on 119 ? im confused , i do pickup everthing . please help

A Dish1000 does not come with a DP-34 standard. It comes with a DPP (DishPro Plus) lnbf which is like a twin, and it also comes with a dual DP (DishPro) lnbf for 129. The SuperDish comes with a DP-34 standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts