Pointing Dish Pro Plus 1000.4 Eastern Arc

sambates10

Original poster
Jan 16, 2012
Hey guys, high school nerd here. I'm mostly a DirecTV guru, but this time I need help with Dish Network. I'm moving into my uncles house temporarily and he has Dish. I am going to pack up all of the Dish stuff and put it in the attic, Im either going to get Comcast transferred out there or get DirecTV, I don't like that I have to get the most advanced package (America Top 250) in order to get my favorite channels where they come standard with Comcast and DirecTV. I'm also not crazy about the VIP 722k that's already there, the remote on TV 2 sucks, you have to stand in the hall to get it to work. I have a Slimline dish with a SWM LNB that I already know how to point and all that. Im going to mount it where the Dish 1000.4 is. Here's the deal, when we move out, I need to put the Dish stuff back, but I'm gonna tripod mount the DirecTV if I can't realign the Dish Turbo HD. I have an Accutrac 22 Pro MKII meter, and a Dish 1000.4 with LNBs that look at the eastern arc satellites. How do you point it with an Accutrac 22 Pro MKII?

No no I have the entire DirecTV Slimline assembly. I'm going to put the Slimline SWM on the mast that the Dish 1000.4 is on, if it will fit. I made that really confusing sorry. What I'm concerned about is if I take the Dish 1000.4 off the mast, when I need to put it back on when we move out, will I be able to repoint it with the Accutrac 22 MKII Pro? I know how to point all the DirecTV dishes to the DirecTV satellites. I sort of know how to point a Dish 500, but I've never messed with a Dish 1000 nor have I heard anything about pointing one with the Accutrac 22. If I can't point a 1000.4 with the Accutrac 22 then I'm gonna leave it and tripod mount the DirecTV. I'd prefer to mount it to the mast thats already there, there are trees and it will have a good line of sight compared to a tripod mount on the ground

Bottom Line: replacing all the Dish stuff with DirecTV stuff, but when we move out, all of the Dish stuff needs to be put back

The 1000.4 EA dish is complicated to point, you may want to consider leaving the dish as is. Also, Dish normally leases the receivers, if you cancel the account, they will want the receiver sent back to them. Any recordings on the hard drive will be lost, also disconnecting an active receiver could also cause problems so you should check these things before messing with the setup. If you are only going to Direct for a short time, I'd leave the Dish stuff as is, use the tripod for the Direct antenna as there may be a line of sight for the Direct sats. Using the coax run should be fine, but that is about all I would change.

That's what I was thinking too. My uncle has his account on suspension currently, so I'm not worried about that. When we move out and he comes back, he will resume his service. He worked all of that out, so if something happens with that in terms of receiver leases and stuff like that, then it's not my problem. What is my responsibility is to disconnect the Dish equipment, store it, and use my DirecTV equipment, which I already have. When we move out, I just have to make sure all of the Dish stuff is hooked back up. I'm going out there tomorrow, I'll do a site survey for DirecTV while I'm there

I think the slimline also needs a larger diameter mast than the 1k.4
Don't take it off. Use the tripod and save the headache of trying to realign it

TimberWolf said:
I think the slimline also needs a larger diameter mast than the 1k.4
Don't take it off. Use the tripod and save the headache of trying to realign it

That's true. The mast for the 1k4 is smaller diameter. Don't try to use it. That's my 2 cents.

I have an Accutrac 22 Pro MKII meter, and a Dish 1000.4 with LNBs that look at the eastern arc satellites. How do you point it with an Accutrac 22 Pro MKII?
First, before taking the 1000.4 down, disconnect the cables going from the dish to the house. Then connect your Accutrac to one of the cables. It doesn't matter which one.

Next, make sure the Accutrac has a new set of batteries. Then connect one of the 1000.4 cables to the LNB port on the Accutrac.

Press the POWER ON/OFF switch on the meter. After the meter boot up, you should see a single signal strength for LNB1.

Next, press the Ka-Lo DISEq Scan button twice to display all three LNBs.

The signal strengths you see are the max strengths you should be aiming for when you set up the 1000.4 again.

Aligning a 1000.4 dish is not more difficult than aligning a Slimline dish. As noted, Dish is using a smaller diameter mast 1 5/8" and Direct is using a 2". If you want to use the existing tripod, check if it will accept a new 2" mast. It may be easier to leave alone the Dish setup and get a second tripod with the proper mast for your DirecTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)