pointing triple LNB problem -- different info from different receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mmarlo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
I'm trying to set up my triple LNB dish with a new (to me) Sony HD200 receiver. I had previously been using a Sony SAT-T60 Tivo, and I've also got a Sony B-65. I'm trying to figure out what coordinates to set the azimuth, elevation, and tilt at, but all three receivers give me different information. (My ZIP is 48108.) I previously had it working with the T60, but it didn't seem to find a signal when I plugged in the HD200, and I can't seem to find a signal at the coordinates given by the HD200. I don't know why the HD200 would require different coordinates, but I can't seem to get anything on it. Could my problem have anything to do with the fact that I haven't activated the new access card on the HD200 yet?

Thanks.

So I've got it set back up with both receivers connected to my main TV, on different video inputs. The dish is pointed back in the earlier configuration because I couldn't get anything with the HD200 settings (though not exactly at the settings recommended by the T60 receiever), and it's registering strong signals on all three satellites, at least when I run the signal strength tests on the T60, and all the channels are coming in fine. I'm not getting any signal on the HD200. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Maybe a problem with the HD200??

mmarlo said:
So I've got it set back up with both receivers connected to my main TV, on different video inputs. The dish is pointed back in the earlier configuration because I couldn't get anything with the HD200 settings (though not exactly at the settings recommended by the T60 receiever), and it's registering strong signals on all three satellites, at least when I run the signal strength tests on the T60, and all the channels are coming in fine. I'm not getting any signal on the HD200. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Maybe a problem with the HD200??

I've got an HD300, you should not need to activate to see the settings for your zip.

Try your diagnostics from the menu before you try aiming again.

also, how are you connecting both simultaneously? Some type of splitter? Is it a "basic" cable-style splitter or a sat diplexer? It matters.

Another point: the wire into your T60 is proven "good". Disconnect and feed it into the HD200, then try again.

Yeah, I'm not going to try re-aiming; that was stupid. I'm just glad I've gotten a strong signal back. I also realize now that I didn't need to activate...oh well. I've got two discrete lines running into my living room straight from the triple LNB dish (no extra multiswitches or diplexers or splitters). That allows me to connect them to the dish simultaneously, or I can easily just swap out the coax running to the T60 and attach it to the HD200. Both coax lines work on the T60, and on the B65 that's in my other room. The TV has several video inputs, and I can do split screen, or switch between them, so it's easy to display the output from each receiver simultaneously or to maintain the same input on the tv and change the connection between the receivers. So, I'm pretty sure the wiring is OK and I'm not doing anything obviously wrong. When I unplug the HD200, reconnect everything, plug it back in, and try to rerun the initial setup from the HD200 menu, it just doesn't recognize any signal at all coming from the dish and doesn't pick up any channels. My guess is that there must be something wrong with the receiver between the satellite input connection and where signal decoding takes place.

I also noticed that I also haven't been able to get any audio output from the HD200, using either the stereo RCA jacks or the digital optical jack. I'm not sure if that's because there's something else screwy with the receiver, or if its because there simply is no audio signal to output. I would have expected the snowy screen to be accompanied by the familiar "SSHHHHH", but in this case there's complete silence.

If I can get a hold of my neighbor, who has digital cable, I'd like to see if I can test the receiver with his cable signal. The eBay seller said in the initial listing that he tested the box on his HD cable system, and it worked "perfectly".

By mentioning his digital cable, he was saying the ASTC tuner was working (if his cable co passes unencrypted HD) without talking about the directv tuner.

I hope you can work it out!

Eddie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)