Pointing w/VIP receiver, slow refresh rate causing my problems?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SlowSL

Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
indiana
After trying to aim 61.5 w/ a VIP211 for a couple days and getting very finnikey signals, I think I know why, but could someone verify? I am used to using my old DP301, and just grabbing the dish and fanning it up & down in the general are untill I see a little blip on the signal bar, then going back & fine tuning, then locking everything down. Done this a million times, no problems. W/ the VIP receiver, I would get the blip after trying FOREVER, and it would almost freeze, then go away, and I couldn't find it again for a long time, then same thing, but could never get a steady signal. I've noticed on the old DP301, if you push the dish a little bit, the signal refreshes almost instantly showing the drop or gain in strength. I just noticed w/ the VIP211 it takes a couple seconds to refresh. Is this why I've had no luck using the hillbilly method for pointing? It only samples at a rate of roughly 2 seconds. What is happening then is I'm passing right over where it needs to be and it never registers on the signal bar. Guess I'll have to pull out the ol' compass & level and try it that way, moving it bit by bit and leaving it for a few seconds to register. Seems like features would get better on the new equipment, not worse.

SlowSL,

I agree with you about the responsiveness of the ViP receivers. My 622 is horrible for pointing. I am not sure if it is refresh rate, or buffering that makes it so slow. I at times have pulled out my old 4000 receiver and used it.

I think the signal strength meters on newer receivers are used more to verify the satellites and less for aiming. Back in the old days of self instals, the meters had to be quick and responsive, now the professional installers use Sat Buddy's or other meters, so the feature has lost some of it's purpose.

Miner

Okay, just wanted someone to verify, I'm on the verge of losing my mind trying to find 61.5. I'll go w/ the azimuth & elevation setting 1st, then use the receiver to fine tune, I just didn't want to fork out $20+ for a finder to only be used once.

Thank you.

you would be better off with a 311, over the 20 dollar meter. the receiver can id sats and I sure you could find a real cheap used one

SUCCESS! What a pain the new receivers are to use. They have about a two second delay & refresh rate.
Thanks for the help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)