Polarity Issues re Duplicate Channels & Deleting Channels

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Does anyone know if you have to Change Polarity while Scanning in Channels? I only got about 140 TV Channels with my setup re V Box III for 97.0W and there are still many Duplicated Channels. The only way around this before with my old Viewsat Receiver was to Change Polarity on my Uniden 9900 during the H and V Scans. Also is there a way to edit /delete single Channels on a Satellite without having to completely Delete the Entire List and then have to rescan all over again?

if you have a servo based lnb then yes you have to. I suggest scanning one polarity first then use the uniden to move the servo tehn re-scan again but using the other polarity on the scanning receiver (otherwise they will show diff channels but all with the same polarity).

usually most receivers will allow you to delete group of channels and on some you just delete the affected transponders and it also deletes the corresponding channels.

if you have a servo based lnb then yes you have to. I suggest scanning one polarity first then use the uniden to move the servo tehn re-scan again but using the other polarity on the scanning receiver (otherwise they will show diff channels but all with the same polarity).

usually most receivers will allow you to delete group of channels and on some you just delete the affected transponders and it also deletes the corresponding channels.

Thanks for the reply hd fan. On a Blind Scan on the AZbox how can you tell what Polarity is scanning in, other than seeing in the TP's coming in as they are being scanned - and by that time it's too late to change Polarity. Maybe I'm missing something as I haven't had the Plus Rx very long. What I mean is can the AZbox be made to scan in H Tp's and then V Tp's during the Blind Scan as in my previous Sat RX?

It seems that the first 50% of the blind scan is H while the rest is V. I know on regular satellite scan the H first.

Thanks MrFTAman, yeah that's what I seemed to notice, ie after 50% of the Scan it reverted back to something like 3710 Freq then worked its way Back up, but wasn't sure if it was V or H. So that's good info if its H scanning in first. Also with my Viewsat RX I had to set the Polarity on the Uniden 9900 to the opposite Polarity of what was being scanned into the Viewsat to get ALL the channels re my wiring setup with Uniden 9900, V BoxII, Actuator etc. Wonder if I'll have to do the same with AZbox?? Guess I can experiment with it, its just that the AZBox Blindscan is so slow. Wonder if I should just delete my Existing Channel List and start all over?

Last edited:
hey all. :) yes the az scans H first then V since the box displays the info during the blindscan when it finds a TP. as far as i know with the current SW you can't tell it to blind scan one polarity only. you can i think in the advanced scan menu. one way to speed up the blindscan is to make sure the box is scanning only channel frequencies we use. the 5020 SW uses a start frequency of 3000MHZ as a default on c-band. well most north american standard c-band (i.e. non-universal) frequency lnbs start at 3400MHZ and end at 4200MHZ so there is no point in having the az scan the 3000 to 3399 range since you're standard lnb wont have much signal there so there is nothing for the az to find so why waste time time scanning it. basically you're matching the scan info to your lnb info. so if necessary change it from the default if you have a standard lnb. from 3000 to 3400 by using the up arrow key to go to 3000 then press the del\back button (lower left on remote) twice to erase the 3 and 0. then press the 3 then 4 button till it reads 3400. then down arrow to scan as normal. i change my minimum symbol rate by the same method to 2000 also. it may mean missing a channel during the scan but a channel with a low SR below 2000 will usually have a really lousy picture anyway. as well the the ku band frequencies defaults for ku are different also. if my memory is good ( mz az is disconnected and turned off right now) the blind scan frequencies on the az ku side are default at 11200 to 12200. again unless you're using a universal lnb the standard north american ku lnb frequencies are 11700 to 12200. so change it from 11200 to 11700 and you spend less time scanning frequencies that won't have any channels on them anyway. the info about the scanning frequencies was in another thread here a while back i just can't remember which one right now. it is 4am after all.

oh ya there is a way to delete single or multiple channels without deleting the entire list or satellites. if no one chimes in i'll post back in a couple of days when i'm done the living room renovations and the az is back on-line.

whew that was a lot of typing for such a small amount of info. hope it helps.

Last edited:
I noticed that after the blind scan, not all channels will come in (you know, after the TPs are scanned in). After the blind scan is finished, I go to the regular satellite scan and the other channels will then come in.
So I do both scans on every satellite. Time consuming but worth it to me.

I noticed that after the blind scan, not all channels will come in (you know, after the TPs are scanned in). After the blind scan is finished, I go to the regular satellite scan and the other channels will then come in.
So I do both scans on every satellite. Time consuming but worth it to me.

MrFTAMan do you see any Duplicate channels with this procedure?

hey all. :) yes the az scans H first then V since the box displays the info during the blindscan when it finds a TP. as far as i know with the current SW you can't tell it to blind scan one polarity only. you can i think in the advanced scan menu. one way to speed up the blindscan is to make sure the box is scanning only channel frequencies we use. the 5020 SW uses a start frequency of 3000MHZ as a default on c-band. well most north american standard c-band (i.e. non-universal) frequency lnbs start at 3400MHZ and end at 4200MHZ so there is no point in having the az scan the 3000 to 3399 range since you're standard lnb wont have much signal there so there is nothing for the az to find so why waste time time scanning it. basically you're matching the scan info to your lnb info. so if necessary change it from the default if you have a standard lnb. from 3000 to 3400 by using the up arrow key to go to 3000 then press the del\back button (lower left on remote) twice to erase the 3 and 0. then press the 3 then 4 button till it reads 3400. then down arrow to scan as normal. i change my minimum symbol rate by the same method to 2000 also. it may mean missing a channel during the scan but a channel with a low SR below 2000 will usually have a really lousy picture anyway. as well the the ku band frequencies defaults for ku are different also. if my memory is good ( mz az is disconnected and turned off right now) the blind scan frequencies on the az ku side are default at 11200 to 12200. again unless you're using a universal lnb the standard north american ku lnb frequencies are 11700 to 12200. so change it from 11200 to 11700 and you spend less time scanning frequencies that won't have any channels on them anyway. the info about the scanning frequencies was in another thread here a while back i just can't remember which one right now. it is 4am after all.

oh ya there is a way to delete single or multiple channels without deleting the entire list or satellites. if no one chimes in i'll post back in a couple of days when i'm done the living room renovations and the az is back on-line.

whew that was a lot of typing for such a small amount of info. hope it helps.

Wow Beavs thanks for the very detailed info. I know on KU Band Blindscans it starts around 11700, & after the 50% mark it starts again as FTAman has noted. So if it starts at H maybe I can switch over to V after 50% on that really slow Blindscan. Going to recheck but from looking in the PDF Manual there is a way to delete channels and then I guess rescan.

hey all. :) yes the az scans H first then V since the box displays the info during the blindscan when it finds a TP. as far as i know with the current SW you can't tell it to blind scan one polarity only. you can i think in the advanced scan menu. one way to speed up the blindscan is to make sure the box is scanning only channel frequencies we use. the 5020 SW uses a start frequency of 3000MHZ as a default on c-band. well most north american standard c-band (i.e. non-universal) frequency lnbs start at 3400MHZ and end at 4200MHZ so there is no point in having the az scan the 3000 to 3399 range since you're standard lnb wont have much signal there so there is nothing for the az to find so why waste time time scanning it. basically you're matching the scan info to your lnb info. so if necessary change it from the default if you have a standard lnb. from 3000 to 3400 by using the up arrow key to go to 3000 then press the del\back button (lower left on remote) twice to erase the 3 and 0. then press the 3 then 4 button till it reads 3400. then down arrow to scan as normal. i change my minimum symbol rate by the same method to 2000 also. it may mean missing a channel during the scan but a channel with a low SR below 2000 will usually have a really lousy picture anyway.

but do you have to do this each time you do a scan or is there a way to make it default to the settings you want?

i think you have to do it every time. i don't use any editors so they might let you change the az somehow but i doubt it. ya it sucks but until someone convinces opensat to change their SW :(

MrFTAMan do you see any Duplicate channels with this procedure?

Jsattv, sorry to wait to answer your question.
Unfortunately, there is duplicate channels when I use the Satellite Scan after blindscanning a satellite. For some reason after the blind scan, not all channels would be scanned from the TPs. So I have to go to the Satellite Scan to get the missed channels. I don't know why it does this. I believe to delete the duplicated is to go to the Data Reset and click on Delete satellite channels and chose that satellite and delete all its channels and then rescan using the Satellite Scan.
Maybe that would work.

Just some FYI for everyone.

Yes, the AZBox scans H polarity first, then V last.

Yes, you can select to have it scan one polarity or the other ONLY in certain scan menus, but not in the SATELLITE SCAN menu (there it scans all polarities). Blind scan option on the applicable models and advanced scan allows you to set the polarity scanned. TP scan allows you to scan one polarity by simply selecting the individual TP, unless the TP has more than one polarity transmission, which is not typical.

As for duplicate channels, I have not found many, if any, unless they are truly chanels that do exist. I have not detected any false duplicates with my AZBox yet. At least not as far as I know. On sat 83W, I blind scan four AMC-9/3F channels, but they are all on different and valid TPs, so they are not false duplicates, they really are there.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)