polarity missing

leeelson

Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Wow! What a forum!. Please excuse my posting before doing a complete search, but I'm under the gun to get my system fixed. Also, I'm a newbie at this, so I may make a few mistakes.

My problem occurred after a strong wind storm. No obvious damage to the 2 Dish 500's but I tightened them down. Each dish has a single feed. My satellite signal strength for 119 shows about 50, but my switch test comes up with odd (I think) polarity missing on 119. 110 shows both even and odd present. Many of the channels (e.g. 120) are missing (no signal). All channels were originally missing (immediately after the storm) but about half are there (e.g. 2,4,5,7 etc) after I tightened things. One strange thing: my switch test shows a 21 switch with 3 satellites, but I only have 2 feeds coming off the 2 satellites. Sat 1 shows something like

1 1 1 1
119 119 110 110
EVEN X EVEN ODD

(this doesn't show satellite 2, which I think is OK)

Is this likely a switch problem? A pointing problem?

Any help is appreciated.

(If it helps, my zip is 91042)

Try clearing the switch matrix:

Disconnect the satellite feed in the back of the receiver
Run check switch
Connect the satellite feed back
Run check switch

Have you checked your signal strength? Go to 6-1-1 and check Transponders 11 and 12 for 119 and 110 and report back. Since you had a wind storm, your dishes might need to be repeaked.

signal strength

Sat 119 shows 49 for xponder 11 and intermittant for 12.
Sat 110 shows 53 for xponder 11, and 47 for 12.

I assume "repeaked" means to adjust the pointing.

Thanks for the help.

leeelson said:
Sat 119 shows 49 for xponder 11 and intermittant for 12.
Sat 110 shows 53 for xponder 11, and 47 for 12.

I assume "repeaked" means to adjust the pointing.

Thanks for the help.

Correct. Those readings are waaaaay too low.

Let us know when you get it repeaked. Also I am assuming that the azimuth needs adjusted only. The left and right, not up and down.

ke4est said:
Let us know when you get it repeaked. Also I am assuming that the azimuth needs adjusted only. The left and right, not up and down.

Adjust azimuth first. If you then get good signal strength, stop and lock it in place. If not, adjust the azimuth for the strongest signal you can get then lock the azimuth in place and adjust the elevation for the strongest signal. Then lock the elevation in place, also.

rdinkel said:
Adjust azimuth first. If you then get good signal strength, stop and lock it in place. If not, adjust the azimuth for the strongest signal you can get then lock the azimuth in place and adjust the elevation for the strongest signal. Then lock the elevation in place, also.

I know that, have been installing for a few years was just trying to make it easy for a newbie. He said the wind blew it. Most likely Az only not always though.:p

Hey folks! I adjusted azimuth (not much change) then elevation (great change). Now my signal strength is over 100 and I get great reception. Took 10 minutes and saved $50 (service call).

Many thanks. You're great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts