Polarity standards

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
Have they standardized the polarities on all the satellites? I read in my old Uniden 4900 manual (printed long ago) that Telstar and Galaxy satellites have different standards on what transponders are H or V depending on transponder number.

Isn't there a standard to all of this? Example, odd numbered transponders are one polarity and evens are another? Could use some input. Thanks.

I think the Standard is every other satellite is opposite in the 2* spacing. Which means that regardless of who owns the satellite, if two satellites are side by side and 2* apart, one will be odd channel horizontal/even channel vertical, and the other will be odd channel vertical/even channel horizontal. I think they found out that C-band needed to be four degrees apart to allow for non-interference from adjacent satellites with the same polarities, and they could alternate polarities and space them at 2* apart. I believe with ku they could put them 2* apart with the same polarity and probably use 1* for alternating polarities. Because of the width of the beams between the two (C/ku), with C-band being wider and ku being narrower. I hope this helps explains it. Of course this is all conjecture on my part, but it's something like this.

Al

Yea, I now have to set the standards in my analog (Uniden UST 4900). I'll soon have the BUD installed. Gotta get things figured out somehow. The box itself seems so ancient to me. I can only assume that the 4DTV boxes are more user friendly? Hope so.

Generally, you don't need to know the polarity, but I remember when there was a strong and weak satellite side by side, like just before the Spacenets got decommissioned, if you had tried to make up a name for a satellite that was not programmed into your receiver's memory (common problem), and if you picked a name that began with a letter that was part of a series of satellites of the opposite channel plan, and if you then put your receiver on "auto-tune", then when it nudged the dish even a degree to either side, it would determine that the adjacent slot was the slot you were really aiming for and misaim the dish.

As a practical matter, it doesn't matter for C-band which channel plan you choose, because once you peak the skew by rotating its probe 90 degrees if the polarity is wrong, most receivers will retain that offset setting for all the transponders of that polarity. As long as you manually peak for one horizontal and one verrtical, the offset setting will be incorporated for all of them.

It does help to know the SBS satellite channel plans, however. SBS 6, for example, only has 19 transponders on it, but they are NOT the lowest frequency transponders from the standard transponder plan, and it operates some of them as half-transponders, making them off-frequency. I had one Uniden receiver where, if I selected SBS 6, it would only allow me to step through the lowest 20 transponders and would misidentify some and not allow me to even reach others. If you need SBS 6 Ku, which, last I checked, still carried some analog sports backhauls, you should copy the transponder plan from lyngsat to help you find whatever you might be looking for.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)