Polarity

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dunnsept

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Central Meechigan
I had posted a while ago about having polarity problems.
welp, it came to a head last night. I changed channels, nothing.. (that was a V one) then changed back..(to an H one) and that got me ... nothing..
I have no signal at all.. OOPS.. that's not good.

go out to the dish, think I'll swap out the lil blue motor (chaparral co-rotor).
take things apart, bring it inside, take the motor off,
WHOA! there's the problem.
the amber plastic that connects to the motor is broke completely off :rant:
as in, removable from the unit!
not sure I can glue it together or what.. so I thought I'd put one of the geosatpros in place that I picked up on the group buy.. UGH, the scalar is WAY smaller than the others and the bolt holes dont line up.. now as far as I can tell even if I drilled and tapped new holes, the feed wont be centered anymore because of the difference in size in the scalar ring :rant:

so, no prob! I'll swap out the scalars.. thought this would be a good time to calc f/d too to make sure I'm setup.. NOPE .. way off..

oh, the geosatpro doesnt fit in the other scalar ring,, it's too big.
either I'll have to modify the scalar from the chaparral or adjust the buttonhook to recenter the geosatpro ... OR try to glue up the co-rotor.

If I use the geosat, I'll lose Ku off this dish (excuse to put up a motorized offset Ku tho)
grrrr...
so, I watched RTV off the primestar last night instead

gonna go read up on the bsc621 for a combined C/Ku and/or look on fleabay for another corotor

Well that sucks! I'm down to two screws holding my servo on, the other two snapped off last time I had it off. The only other dual band horn I have has similar problems.
I havent done anything with the group buy LNBs I got except open the box and say 'Yup. there's two of them, with scalers' and close it up and put them away for later. I did note that they seems 'sloppy' in the scaler but didnt pay much attention to it. I've seen those servos for sale on various vendor pages, seems like 18-20 bucks was the avg price.

Last edited:
odd. I put my geosatpros together last night and they were a snug fit in the scalar ring.
I really dont want to lose Ku on this dish as I only have it and a primestar.. but temporarily I will put one of the geosats on tonight and see how it performs.. not a good comparison because I calc'd the f/d on my dish as .42 and the ol corotor was at 36. I really want to get setup Ku again and see what kind of difference I get with the thing setup correctly

I hear you. I cant imagine not having at least one C/Ku prime focus in the ol' aerial arsenal.
Doesnt look like any of the site sponsors carry the lil' bugger, not that I could find via their search feature(s).
I did find this when a googlin' -
http://www.summitsource.com/product_info.php?ref=1&products_id=1316
if you buy a spare, it makes the cost per unit ~16 bucks delivered.

Then there's this, if you need any extra parts for the C only feed setup -
http://www.summitsource.com/satelli...-4-ghz-pulse-voltage-part-skyfeed-p-5128.html
Here's another brand of servo (Astrotel) a bit more expensive, same vendor -
http://www.summitsource.com/satelli...ven-channel-switch-part--astrotel-p-7203.html
I hope you get her all fixed up. Us C banders are becoming quite the minority, and polarotor users even more so it seems as more are going eletronicly switched LNBFs. Kind of reflected in the poor availability of the legacy parts......
Good luck!

skyvision shows a new corotor II+ for $150 (ouch, too painful right now)
but there are a couple on ebay.. but I'll try to fix what I have first.. that little broken part is just plastic.. I'll try to glue the thing.. sheesh, for that matter, some epoxy/plastic weld should do it too, as long as the servo can turn the bugger i guess

Is it the rotating plastic assy inside the feedhorn, or a part of the servo that is broken? I hope it's the latter 'cause C+Ku feedhorns are relatively pricey.

I dont know how much success you will have with glueing, unless it's a styrene based plastic. Polymerized plastics dont cold joint glue very well.

If it is the part in the feedhorn, make sure it's not binding somehow before you try to fix it and find the repaired joint cant take the torque to turn it.

If it's the horn, someone on here had new C+Ku horns for sale a while back........Linuxman maybe? I dont remember but I think it was a listing in the classifieds section.

EDIT -
It's been a while, I dont know if he still has it or not -
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1744774-post3.html

I dug out an old polarotor and put it in place.. the glue job on the corotor worked fine, but something else must be wrong. no signal at all.
at this point I only have H and no V, so I think the motor on this one might be bad too.. sigh.. but at least it's working again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)