Pole-mount options

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
At our new house, there was a DirecTV (Slimline) dish pole-mounted in the ground that I want to use for mounting an antenna. The pipe is about 2" O.D. and about 1-3/4" I.D. (rough measurement with a tape measure). My antenna has an adjustable clamp that goes about 1-1/2" max. Here's the antenna manual that shows the clamp style.

I want to use something like this mast by inserting it inside the pole in the ground and drilling two holes and fasteners. Problem is, I'm not sure what the diameter is. Are these standard dimensions ?

At our new house, there was a DirecTV (Slimline) dish pole-mounted in the ground that I want to use for mounting an antenna. The pipe is about 2" O.D. and about 1-3/4" I.D. (rough measurement with a tape measure). My antenna has an adjustable clamp that goes about 1-1/2" max. Here's the antenna manual that shows the clamp style.

I want to use something like this mast by inserting it inside the pole in the ground and drilling two holes and fasteners. Problem is, I'm not sure what the diameter is. Are these standard dimensions ?
Pretty much standard dimensions 1 1/2" od. for mast but you can get just about any size od you want. Have you checked www.tvfool.com to see how high a mast you need?

I'm less than 10 miles from the towers for Dayton's locals. I have no concern about them. I am hoping to pick up Cincinnati's locals as a freebie and can point in their general direction and still pick up Dayton's since I'm so close. FWIW, I'm already getting Cincinnati locals using this cheap, indoor antenna so using a reasonably proper outdoor antenna should just up my reliability.

You could attach the pole to the side of the other pole still using your idea of drilling holes through the pipes and instead use longer bolts. Its a light antenna so I don't think there would be too much stress on the bolts in the wind.

There are kits to u-bolt together two poles but they likely wouldn't fit a 2 inch pole.

Hall I'm surprised you get Cincy with an indoor antenna as well as you did. I live about 25 miles east of Cincy and an indoor antenna gets me almost nothing. My CM4228 or my 91XG about 20 foot above the roof gets me Dayton and Cincy no issues. Pointed towards Cincy I get all the Dayton channels off the back side. I hear some folks in Dayton have pretty good luck getting Columbus stations too.

I was very surprised to get Cincinnati stations myself. I'm actually just 30-40 miles away from them plus I think I'm at a higher elevation than in Dayton. In fact, I know I am - I was in a "valley" previously.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)