Status
Please reply by conversation.

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
With my wife and I moving into an apartment in Plano, I need to know what size pole to get for the Directv Phase-III dish. It will also need to fit the future 5-lnb dish as well. I'm planning on using a 5 gallon bucket full of cement to put the pole in. I'm doing all of this to avoid paying the $100 satellite deposit they require to mount it on their building.

Anyone know what pole size I will need?

inch and one half fence post or inch and one half ridgid conduit is what you want

I would not reccomend the the bucket trip, wind will blow dish over etc, Put the pole in the ground, put cement 6 inches below surface of the ground when you move take your hack saw and saw the pole off and fill the 6 inches with dirt and no one will ever know there was a dish there!!!

Jason,

Pick up one of these rail mounts here..

Can't post the link dbsinstall is where I got it from on the web. You can also do a google search for satellite innovations.

I just picked one up this week and it is totally awesome. I used a pain in the butt bucket o cement for years. What a waste. This thing is sturdy as hell, and totally out of the way. I think I spoke with Todd at DBS Install. Great guy. Don't waste your time with the pale.

Neutron, might try driving tent stakes( the metal ones from wally world) thru the bucket then fill with quickcrete, sackcrete that should help stablize thru all but the worst wind... if not you are out the 4 bucks for the concrete, the price of the bucket and the price of the post...

The actual diameter is 1.65 inches, which translates to 1-5/8 inches.

1-1/4 inch nominal pipe or heavy wall conduit has an actual diameter of the 1.65 inches that you need. 1-1/4" thin wall conduit, with an actual diameter on 1.53 inches is too small and 1-1/2" thin wall conduit is too large.

Home grade chain link fence line post is 1.66 inches, and either .065 inches or 16 guage thick.

We have no idea on the five lnb dish, since is is still under development.

Thank you for the suggestions guys! To give yall a little more insight in our future situation, we will be on the second floor of a 2 story building, so driving anything into the ground will not work.

I'll go check out the rail mount.

My guess is the 5-lnb dish will use the same mount as the 3-lnb dish, hopefully. :)

I have been talking with Robert at VE this evening and he suggested the buoy mount that they have. It's very similar to the basketball mount that you can get that you fill with either sand or water/antifreeze. What do yall think of it? It's on their accessories page.

Neutron what ever you do don't make the mount too high. If you have a roof overhang it can block the signal from part of the dish. Don't forget it is offset fed so your signal is coming into the dish from about 22 degrees higher. Also check carefully with the apartment management for restrictions some prohibit any part of the dish from extending beyond the patio. In other words the LNB can't stick out beyond the edge of the patio.

If you know what kind of patio railing you have then I could tell you if the railing kit would work. I can try to take a picture today to show you how mine looks. I was surprised at how sturdy it is. The mast and two brackets are one piece. There are to more brackets that lock it into place. If your railing is square or rectangular it should do fine. What is the VE site?

sltmag said:
If you know what kind of patio railing you have then I could tell you if the railing kit would work. I can try to take a picture today to show you how mine looks. I was surprised at how sturdy it is. The mast and two brackets are one piece. There are to more brackets that lock it into place. If your railing is square or rectangular it should do fine. What is the VE site?
As I said in a previous post check with the apartment management. I did one yesterday 6/14/05 in Plano 75093 they only allowed tripods or buckets of concrete. They considered the railing to be their property. :)

Boba, I do not disagree with you at all. However, when dealing with associations, I find that they will claim the air that you breath as part of their property. 99% of the time, they look away as long as other neighbors do not complain. We are not allowed grills, but everyone of my neighbors has one. The great thing I found with the rail mount is that the mast does not have to hang over the rail, and it simply screws on and screws off. There is nothing permanent. When I had the cement bucket, I was continually tying the thing to the rail anyway so it wouldn't tip or blow over in high winds. It's amazing that these associations don't have a problem with a heavy cement bucket on the patio, but a 5 pound poll is out of the question.

sltmag said:
Boba, I do not disagree with you at all. However, when dealing with associations, I find that they will claim the air that you breath as part of their property. 99% of the time, they look away as long as other neighbors do not complain. We are not allowed grills, but everyone of my neighbors has one. The great thing I found with the rail mount is that the mast does not have to hang over the rail, and it simply screws on and screws off. There is nothing permanent. When I had the cement bucket, I was continually tying the thing to the rail anyway so it wouldn't tip or blow over in high winds. It's amazing that these associations don't have a problem with a heavy cement bucket on the patio, but a 5 pound poll is out of the question.
The customer is getting a FREE install so I will try to follow the complexes rules. I don't want to go back and do it again free and I have found few customers that are willing to pay me to go back and do it to the complexes guidelines. Doing it right the first time is the cheapest method. :)

boba said:
Sorry I don't have the name but the address was 5945 West Parker. :)

Good, that's not the one we're moving to. :) That's closeby though. So you're a professional installer in the area? Is there a way I can request for you? I'd rather have the install done by someone I know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts